cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Enough Space - But I do?!

1NeedHelp
Honored Guest
So for the past 2 hours I've been trying to set up my new Oculus Rift that I just got, but its been a hassle. Now whenever I run the software the program says, "Not Enough Space The oculus rift need 6.37 gb of storage." Thing is I have a spare 437 gb drive that I want to us for it and it is in a D:\.
Although I installed the software through my D:\ Drive it keeps downloading the contents to my C:\ Drive and is overall annoying. I am trying to move the files by using the instructions on the support page, https://support.oculus.com/1142129705828091/ ,but nothing happens it just opens the folder and doesn't move it... !?

Can I get some assistance?

56 REPLIES 56

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
A couple of comments for people who might come across this thread. If you are a serious PC user your instincts will betray you. DON'T try use symbolic links or other fancy tricks to move files. They won't work.

Use the Oculus app to do it. Go to Settings>General>Library Locations and then add your new location.
Then go to your INSTALLED GAME in the Oculus app, click on the three dots, select move, select location and let it move it.

Important point: To install to a specific drive, go to the same location as above and change the default drive. You can't choose which drive when you install an app, but you can choose which drive is the default drive before and it will install it to that drive.

This is a terrible implementation, but in general Oculus has a strange process for handling installs. My experience is that when there is an update, Oculus downloads the entire game to the staging folder and then moves it to the normal directory when complete. When Asgard's Wrath updated, I had to make room for 120+GB of space just to update it even though it was already installed. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

kruger4451
Honored Guest
Ok, so i converted my drive to basic format, i had ntfs, and ye it worked, however, i didn't back up my data.. But i don't care much about them.

Freddymantyler1
Honored Guest

If it still doesn't work, open up your file explorer
Locate where your OculusSetup is
In the address bar, clear it and type "cmd"
Then copy and paste this is into the command console "OculusSetup.exe /drive=D "
The setup should loadup, then Ta da

HOLY THANKS, YOU ARE A GOD!

Rogue_Ronin
Honored Guest

KevinB63 said:

This is bullshit, the fact I just spent all this money on this VR and have to do all this extra shit because you guys fked up the code is ridiculous. 

Hey man I know it seem s bad but keep your head up no reason to let this tiny hiccup ruin your purchase. find the silver line.

Rogue_Ronin
Honored Guest

Fretcoz said:

fuck oculus man i have been awake for almost 3 days trying to clear some space on my drive rn i have 82.6GB out of 155GB,but it still wont download

Look at the bottom if you still havent figured it out! 
Freddyman is a legend and found it

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still need help ive tried the command prompt thing and it just says "The system cannot find the path specified"  So if any of you guys have any idea how to help i would love to hear

Wyatt_Tatum
Honored Guest

Then copy and paste this is into the command console "OculusSetup.exe /drive=D "

GOD dude you're a life saver thank you sm,you deserve a medal.

SirWolfykins
Honored Guest

Saved my butt, thank you so much! 🙂

TGCK
Honored Guest

I had the exact same problem, here is the solution.

The problem is Oculus has a code line, where it picks and chooses which drive should be used, and the drive has to be "Basic" Type and "NTFS" format. I was on live support with oculus, before I figured out the problem. 

1. Goto "Disk Management" in windows
2. Looks at your different drives and see if they are in "NTFS" format and "Basic" type. (Your drive is most likely "Dynamic" and in "NTFS" Format)

3 If they aren't you are going to want to backup all of your files on your 😧 drive and put them on your C: drive (If you  have space) or another drive for the time being. (Transferring your files will take a while)

4. Open Computer Management (Local), to open it press the windows key and R on your keyboard simultaneously and in the run window type compmgmt.msc and then press enter. 

5. In the console tree, click Computer Management and then click Disk Management.

6. Right-click each volume on the dynamic disk you want to convert to a basic disk, and then click Delete Volume for each   volume on the disk

7 When all volumes on the disk have been deleted, right-click the disk, and then click Convert To Basic Disk.

8  After this, you want to right click the disk again, then hit "Create new volume", go through all of the steps that it says.

8. After this, transfer all of your files back to your 😧 drive

9. Redownload Oculus setup

10. Ta Da

sorry that im late here (im having a problem with the oculus app for quest 2 link) my drive is a basic NTFS format and has enough space. i also did the suggested code for installation in the D drive and it still says it doesnt have enough gb
( i have 128.21 GB left for the installation but it thinks i dont?

ebran420
Honored Guest

DUDE THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!