cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family sharing

tyler_evan_2010
Honored Guest
Oculus really needs to add true family sharing.  I have two boys that I bought two quest units for and in order for them to play a multi player game together I have to buy the game twice which is really unfair and expensive
26 REPLIES 26

tyler_evan_2010
Honored Guest
Oculus really needs to add true family sharing.  I have two boys that I bought two quest units for and in order for them to play a multi player game together I have to buy the game twice which is really unfair and expensive

chad_hyatt
Honored Guest
Just bought three for my kids for Xmas! If this is the case I am returning all three

Spoomsister
Honored Guest
Has anyone heard if they are going to fix this issue soon?  We would like to purchase three headsets so my husband, my daughter, and myself can all play at the same time, but no way do I want to purchase each game three times. Seems like there would be a way to do this easily, ie: must be on same ISP.

RT_Gamez_A_Lot
Explorer
I'm in the same boat, they need to solve this real quick

PITTCANNA
Visionary

I'm in the same boat, they need to solve this real quick

There is nothing to solve, time to go on a rant because people clearly did not do any research.

FIRST Oculus is making nothing on the headset, they are operating on loss for possibly the first year of adoption.
SECOND Oculus does not control how developers implement multiplayer, this is for the developers
THIRD V24 is going to roll out multi user support don't know what its going to bring but due to the pandemic its not high on the priority list.  
FOURTH You can still share apps across multiple headsets, and play at the same time with most but you can't play against your family member depending on how its setup.  (IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT PLAYING AGAINST A FAMILY MEMBER, THEN YOU CAN STILL PLAY ALL APPS AND USE IT WITH NO ISSUE, MOST OF THE GAMES ARE SINGLE PLAYER)

SIXTH don't create a new thread asking about the same thing over and over, when you know the answer.

Food for thought, 99% console titles require unique accounts, unique consoles, unique buys on software to play against family members, why should a quest be different?

PITTCANNA
Visionary
You people think buying one licesne from a developer should grant you unlimited seats to play a game together is standard practice......IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO STANDARD PRACTICE.

How in the heck are developers are going to make a living when you have a family leaching of the same purchase. 

trickland75
Honored Guest
Pretty easy to understand. Pittcanna obviously you dont have kids. I get it. But i am a customer too. I want my kids to be able to use and record ther own score on the same device. I was bluffed. Really disappointed. all video game do that. 

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Pretty easy to understand. Pittcanna obviously you dont have kids. I get it. But i am a customer too. I want my kids to be able to use and record ther own score on the same device. I was bluffed. Really disappointed. all video game do that. 

You were not bluffed, you obviously have no respect for the developers who make the games for the device.  The developers have been working around the clock for the most affordable vr experience.  The quest 2 platform checks so many boxes, i grow very tired of people demanding more and more of people for the meager amount the developers make on the games and hardware.

People like you don't want to hear the truth.  You are easily disappointed but you offer no compelling reason to be disappointed. 

You will never find an easier more enjoyable experience like the quest 2.

PSVR costs over 500 once you factor the need for ps4 and moves.

Valve index over 2000 once you factor a pc required

Vive over 1500

HP over 1500

The quest 2 offers pcvr level performance for 299 without the need for pc.  The kids can still play games on the headset on the same account, v24 is going to roll out soon.  Some games offer different save blocks.  But your the typical average consumer of today's society nothing is ever good enough, you slow down developers desire to make new fun games because families feel they can leech everything off a single account and license.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
People need to temper their expectations for this upcoming roll-out. To an average user, it is hard to distinguish between Oculus and the developers. For example, Oculus implemented cloud saves quite some time ago. Yet many games don't use it and if you have had to reset a headset you are painfully aware of this.

Second, there are a number of things that people are conflating. Also people are making a lot of assumptions. Here is some clarity.

Multi-user accounts/Family Sharing/Sub accounts
These terms mean that there is a master account (Facebook) that can have additional "children" accounts under the main account. This allows me to share my headset with multiple people and do things like track calories for each user, or save individual game progress, It only requires you to purchase a game once and have multiple people have access to it. 

This is a completely reasonable request and frankly should be available already. If you had three kids, you would log on to all three headsets with the same main account and they could all play the games. However, it is also reasonable for developers to demand that only one instance of any given game be active at any given time. Again, that is up to the developer.

Fast User Switching
A different issue is being able to switch between one main account and another without having to completely wipe the headset. While this would affect a fewer number of people, for me this is important. I have two headsets. Right now both are on the same main account. I have a separate account (not going to get into that issue right now) that has purchased only multiplayer games. I would like to keep both headsets on the main account so all my games are available on both, but then switch one of them to the secondary account so that I can play with a friend.

This is also reasonable and should be available already.

Multiplayer Issues
Here is the rub. Implementing multi-user accounts does not automatically mean that you will be able to play a game on separate headsets just because you are on different sub-accounts. The developer will control this and I have a hard time seeing a developer let someone have three people playing their multi-player game for one price.

So TL:dr It is unlikely that anything Oculus does is going to make it so you can buy a $50 multiplayer game and have five of your friends log into your account and play together. Set expectations accordingly.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2