cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Forums Maintenance / Platform Change: 2/21-2/24

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

Edit: Maintenance is now underway. Thanks for your patience!

Hi everyone - I have an update to share: we plan to complete the forum platform transition next week. In order to accommodate this migration, our forums will need to experience a period of downtime. This Oculus Forums maintenance period will begin the evening of February 21st and should end on February 24th. During this time, you will not be able to log into your forum account, which will prevent the creation and editing of any posts or comments. Existing content should still be viewable as a guest user, but may be briefly unavailable as we near completion of the migration.

Once the new forum platform is live, all content that exists on our forums today will be available on the new platform. The interface will look much different, but all of the categories that you are familiar with will be present. When you sign into the new forum platform, you will be presented with a screen asking you for permission to share your Oculus username and email address with the forums. For now, you can expect to see this screen each time you log in.

As a reminder, private messages from our current forums will not be migrated to the new platform. You will also need to rebuild you forum profile once you sign into the new platform for the first time, so if there's any info you have there that you want to bring over, be sure to back it up.

As always, we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding while we work through this transition period!

Original announcement follows:

---

Hey everyone -

First, I just want to say a sincere thank you to everyone on these forums who has helped shape our community over the past 5+ years. It’s been fun to watch the community grow and evolve over that time, continually adding new members and providing opportunities for discussion around new Oculus products, features, and industry developments. With that in mind, I’m excited to announce the next steps for the Oculus Forums.

In January, we will be migrating the forums to a new service provider: Khroros Communities. Our goals in this migration are to provide a more stable and seamless forum experience, better connect users with the assistance or answers they are seeking, and bring the forums more in line with our updated branding. We are putting all of you at the center of the experience and want to make sure that we’re serving your community needs as much as possible. Both the community forums and the developer forums are included in this move.

As part of this migration, all posts and comments will be transferred to the Khoros platform and will remain publicly available. In order to accomplish this, the forums will need to experience a period of extended downtime. This will allow us to make sure that we move all recently made posts when the time comes. We’ll share more details as we get closer to the migration date. Please note that any private messages you have on the forums will not be migrated to the new community.

After the move, you can expect the forums to look and feel different. The UI is going to be getting a bit of an overhaul and things like how forum badges and ranks function will change. As with all things at Oculus, we are always open to hearing feedback from the community and will constantly be looking for areas of improvement. When the new forums launch, you can look forward to a pinned thread where we will be soliciting feedback on how the new community is working for you.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding while we work through these changes. We’re excited for the future of the Oculus community and we hope you are too. In the meantime, see you around the forums (and in VR)! []-)

49 REPLIES 49

Personally I'd be uncomfortable with an exclusive Facebook login requirement.
It would maybe exclude people who were coming to the forum to ask question prior to buying a headset and some of those may not yet have a FB account.

I wouldn't want the forum to excluded talk about non-Oculus headsets either.

It's difficult but personally I'd prefer to have a system whereby, people who aren't Oculus consumers and don't want to be Oculus consumers... but use the forum to predominantly criticize Oculus/Facebook are dealt with within the rules of the forum more effectively. It seems to be a problem that's diminishing of late though, so maybe we're good as is.

Edit: I should say, criticism by Oculus users is a good thing 🙂

killtires616
Honored Guest

Zenbane said:

This is great news!

It would be awesome if the new forum required a Facebook Login for everyone, including existing users.

Either way though, this type of change is good. And as Tom pointed out, hopefully the change will help increase the amount of fun and constructive posts among members, and help attract those who want to be here for the right reasons.

Upwards and onward!  ❤️

plz no my rift s has been terrible almost never works now its just sitting in the closet cause it never works and im sick of losing hand tracking every 5 minutes. and the facebook cambrige analytic scandal shows how shady fb is. and how much no one cares about their private information. and im not sending any personal info to facebook because thats just increases my odds of my information being stolen doesnt keep anyone safer as fb says it makes you less safe.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
r2kcpwiaurx0.gif

Thmoas
Rising Star
Awesome, while this forum layout gives fond memories of the early days of VR, it's also a bit crappy in my case regarding remembering logins and how logins are handled.

Thmoas said:

Awesome, while this forum layout gives fond memories of the early days of VR, it's also a bit crappy in my case regarding remembering logins and how logins are handled.

Yeah login has been pretty bad, particularly on ios for me.

I remember animated gif's used to be a thing for avatars back in the day, it's not important but would be nice to have them back j36rhkiae7un.gif

Richooal
Consultant
Are we there yet?
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
p3az43lyw2su.gif

9bvtrapuigzz.png

VrLover31
Explorer
Hey dear community 🙂 

First of all thanks to all the people who make all of this possible. Really looking forward to the new design and everything 🙂 

Digikid1
Consultant
No crappy FB Logons please....and make it so that you can actually log on with mobile devices.