cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal Stories: VR Available Now

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I had a quick go on this earlier and it's pretty cool to try this game in VR. It's a free MOD and needs the original Portal 2 game which if you shop around you can pick up for under £6. Obviously this will come to the Rift or be modded to run with it at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xYAyWp8fbY

Portal Stories: VR builds on the foundations of the award winning Portal 2 modification Portal Stories: Mel

Portal Stories: VR is a brand new mini story set in the Portal Universe. It features 10 brand new puzzles, specifically designed to work using the 360 degrees room scale that SteamVR offers. Inside Aperture, you'll be able to use the new "Aperture Science Instant Teleportation Device" and the "Aperture Science Apparatus Retrieval Tool" to solve the new tests. 

Powered by Unreal Engine 4, Portal Stories: VR gives the Aperture Science facility a whole fresh look. With new models, textures, particles and more! 

A HTC Vive Headset is required in order to play.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
9 REPLIES 9

mambo1888
Rising Star
Really cool game but probably takes about half an hour to complete. I had to buy a steam key as I didnt own portals 2, but id say its worth the £5-6 even if you have to buy portals 2.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Yeah, it is a bit short but it sure shows the potential of a Portal-type game in VR.  It makes me very thankful that the community can build stuff like this so we can enjoy it.  It also makes me hope that Valve creates VR versions of their best games for us to enjoy (HLVR, L4DVR, PortalVR, ect...).  I have completed both Portal games numerous times on a monitor (and in 3DVision), so it was really cool to get into the game.  Squatting down to avoid the turrets was an awesome touch, I was feeling some presence doing that.  And wow is that cube ever big and lovely in VR.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

mambo1888
Rising Star
@ThreeDeeVision Was a really nice little experience the guys who done it have done a great job. Also being that its a free mod is great for those that already have portal 2. 

Once the lasers started was a good laugh, I must have looked a right idiot crawling along the floor lol, I always have a bit of paranoia when doing stupid stuff like that while in VR that the wife's watching me or videoing me lol.

The lift at the end was nice as well, would happily pay for more puzzles.

MavericRFW
Explorer

If the Vive is required to play, why is it here? That doesn't make sense.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

If the Vive is required to play, why is it here? That doesn't make sense.

4 years later some dude awoke from the cryosleep and was very confused  😄   

Cryosleep - An Overview of Cryonics Cryosleep and Cryotherapy

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

This is the second old portal thread to get resurrected recently, feels like we're on opposite sides of a portal to the past.
Or the Guardian of Forever captain.
n1sqavmna9j5.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe reviving this thread isn't all bad - at least the mod is still available:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/446750/Portal_Stories_VR/

It now also fully supports the Valve Index B) - and it should work with both Rift and WMR according to very recent reviews:

6rbjddf47vl2.jpg

Doesn't look bad ... maybe ... I have not tried it - this walk-through was published in the Spring 2020:

https://youtu.be/1wBOA-MuIkI

Some shots:

nvd0xnpptj30.jpg

x3y87kw1bmol.jpg

Requires that you have installed Portal 2. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
How to play using an Oculus hmd:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2155603716

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just tested the game, I wasn't much impressed. Had to use Index res 100% for 90 fps - looks badly optimized to me, or optimized for Gen1 hmds which had much lower res. Thus this isn't - by far - anything close to Valve quality. 

Controls work perfectly using Knuckles though, you use the trackpads for teleporting, it's one of those rare games where you're happy that Knuckles emulate the Wands just perfectly. 

Even if it's not great, it's not that bad - but you can sense that it's from 2016. Might look better using oled with some SDE. Probably going to uninstall. 5/10 using Index.