New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

1000k triangles per frame: Quest or Quest 2? What is the difference? Why the update from 100k?

The official documentation page "Testing and Performance Analysis" has been updated to state that the recommended "load" for tris count is 750-1000k. 
This used to be 100k. A professional who constantly works with Oculus Quest VR in a major firm recently quoted this for me, then I found out it has been changed (not sure how recent the change is). 

My questions are:

1) Where does this change come from?

... and more importantly... :

2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)? 
Can we have separate recommendations for Quest and Quest2, with numbers and everything? Surely it's not the same number?



Comments

  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 1,078
    3Jane
    the xr2 has the headroom and performance to handle higher then the orignal processor.  also 6gb of onboard ram.
  • aRchMaGe333aRchMaGe333 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    PITTCANNA said:
    the xr2 has the headroom and performance to handle higher then the orignal processor.  also 6gb of onboard ram.
    Was this an answer to my post?
  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 1,078
    3Jane
    PITTCANNA said:
    the xr2 has the headroom and performance to handle higher then the orignal processor.  also 6gb of onboard ram.
    Was this an answer to my post?
    yes.
  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 1,078
    3Jane
    still you have to make for quest 1 but you need a quest 2 patch to account for higher processing.
  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 1,078
    3Jane
    PITTCANNA said:
    still you have to make for quest 1 but you need a quest 2 patch to account for higher processing.
    That's not what I asked, yet again. 
    You're spam-trolling.

    Someone please actually answer my post?
    I am not spam trolling.  You clearly don't understand marketing and device adpotion.

    Yes the quest 2 has much more power gpu wise with the xr2 chip ang 6 gig ram.
    So the increase in triangles is very possible with AI and video upscaling.  The danger is over developing for the xr2 chip.

    What i mean is you have quest 1 users that would be out of luck if developers aggressively developed for the xr2 then the 835.   Because the truth is the xr2 is capable of 120 hz, oculus made the decision to cap at 90 to be fair to quest 1 users.

    So developers are given limits to what should be done.  There is ample headroom for the xr2, but they still need to design primarily for the 835, and patch for quest 2. 

  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 375
    Trinity
    edited January 7
    1) Where does this change come from?
    No info. Could be some internal software optimizations (like time wrap to fill in 40 to 80Hz) or some other considerations (drop of Go support may be).
    2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)?
    You could watch latest Carmack keynote on hardware info. But it could be lengthy.
    Just will point that Q2 is not using full processing power to save buttery and prevent overheating.
    Oculus have had to decide what would be software processing limit.

  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,414 Valuable Player
    PITTCANNA said:
    PITTCANNA said:
    still you have to make for quest 1 but you need a quest 2 patch to account for higher processing.
    That's not what I asked, yet again. 
    You're spam-trolling.

    Someone please actually answer my post?
    I am not spam trolling.  You clearly don't understand marketing and device adpotion.

    Yes the quest 2 has much more power gpu wise with the xr2 chip ang 6 gig ram.
    So the increase in triangles is very possible with AI and video upscaling.  The danger is over developing for the xr2 chip.

    What i mean is you have quest 1 users that would be out of luck if developers aggressively developed for the xr2 then the 835.   Because the truth is the xr2 is capable of 120 hz, oculus made the decision to cap at 90 to be fair to quest 1 users.

    So developers are given limits to what should be done.  There is ample headroom for the xr2, but they still need to design primarily for the 835, and patch for quest 2. 



    Yup, but Oculus said XR2 is only 35% faster than Snapdragon 835, they had to cripple it to save battery power. And the higher res and forcing 90 fps easily eat up all the extra power - but more ram is great for textures.
    Compared to new gpus from Nvidia and AMD the Quest 2 XR2 is nothing but the worst low-end garbage. It's just a new generation of phoneVR/GearVR with Touch.
    The great thing about Quest 2 is of course that you can use it with a RTX 3080 to experience real VR. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,414 Valuable Player
    edited January 7
    My bad, the Quest 2 gpu is only 33 % faster than Quest, not 35%, but the cpu power is upgraded from the extremely low-end to the very low-end, might feel like going from that 486DX2 66 Mhz to 100 Mhz, if vsync doesn't kill the framerate party ;)


    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • aRchMaGe333aRchMaGe333 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Nekto2 said:
    1) Where does this change come from?
    No info. Could be some internal software optimizations (like time wrap to fill in 40 to 80Hz) or some other considerations (drop of Go support may be).
    2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)?
    You could watch latest Carmack keynote on hardware info. But it could be lengthy.
    Just will point that Q2 is not using full processing power to save buttery and prevent overheating.
    Oculus have had to decide what would be software processing limit.

    I hope PITTCANNA can compare this answer to his and realize how he's still babbling about unrelated things. 

    About the "No info" part I was hoping some official statements could be given on this unclarified official page info, apart from the page being "fixed" so that it's clear what it's saying. Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback, Nekto2.
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Nekto2 said:
    1) Where does this change come from?
    No info. Could be some internal software optimizations (like time wrap to fill in 40 to 80Hz) or some other considerations (drop of Go support may be).
    2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)?
    You could watch latest Carmack keynote on hardware info. But it could be lengthy.
    Just will point that Q2 is not using full processing power to save buttery and prevent overheating.
    Oculus have had to decide what would be software processing limit.

    I hope PITTCANNA can compare this answer to his and realize how he's still babbling about unrelated things. 

    About the "No info" part I was hoping some official statements could be given on this unclarified official page info, apart from the page being "fixed" so that it's clear what it's saying. Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback, Nekto2.
    Piece of advice. When asking for free help and someone tries to help you, it is bad form to act like an a-hole. Especially to someone who has been around here for a long time and has helped lots of people.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2
  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 1,078
    3Jane
    RuneSR2 said:
    My bad, the Quest 2 gpu is only 33 % faster than Quest, not 35%, but the cpu power is upgraded from the extremely low-end to the very low-end, might feel like going from that 486DX2 66 Mhz to 100 Mhz, if vsync doesn't kill the framerate party ;)


    It's not so much the GPU, but the ai factor of the xr2 chipset.  It would not surprise me if they offer something along the lines of dlss.  But that would mean a whole different firmware.
  • aRchMaGe333aRchMaGe333 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited January 10

    I hope PITTCANNA can compare this answer to his and realize how he's still babbling about unrelated things. 

    About the "No info" part I was hoping some official statements could be given on this unclarified official page info, apart from the page being "fixed" so that it's clear what it's saying. Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback, Nekto2.
    Piece of advice. When asking for free help and someone tries to help you, it is bad form to act like an a-hole. Especially to someone who has been around here for a long time and has helped lots of people.

    Free help? Really? Not paid help?

    We're all here to help each other by reading the posts and replying to what we read, not spam-trolling with whatever random string of words we divine out of nowhere. How does anyone even have time for this much redundant nonsense?

    I (wrongly) assumed Oculus employees were watching these threads. This pertains to the official webpage and the quality of info that people are able to get out of it. It's my free QA for the platform we're all using and what I got in return? A random string of blah-blah that's going to hide the actual answer. People need to get over their inflated self-worth and actually practice what they preach, which is be of service to the many. No one should give a damn about being nice to someone who entered the thread as an a-hole, being of disservice to us all. 

  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,361 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 10
    This is the community forum, comprised of primarily end-users and VR enthusiasts. You can try the developer forum, if you haven’t already—you might get better answers to technical questions there. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
Sign In or Register to comment.