cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1000k triangles per frame: Quest or Quest 2? What is the difference? Why the update from 100k?

aRchMaGe333
Explorer
The official documentation page "Testing and Performance Analysis" has been updated to state that the recommended "load" for tris count is 750-1000k. 
This used to be 100k. A professional who constantly works with Oculus Quest VR in a major firm recently quoted this for me, then I found out it has been changed (not sure how recent the change is). 

My questions are:

1) Where does this change come from?

... and more importantly... :

2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)
Can we have separate recommendations for Quest and Quest2, with numbers and everything? Surely it's not the same number?

15 REPLIES 15

PITTCANNA
Visionary
the xr2 has the headroom and performance to handle higher then the orignal processor.  also 6gb of onboard ram.

aRchMaGe333
Explorer

PITTCANNA said:

the xr2 has the headroom and performance to handle higher then the orignal processor.  also 6gb of onboard ram.

Was this an answer to my post?

PITTCANNA
Visionary

PITTCANNA said:

Was this an answer to my post?

yes.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
still you have to make for quest 1 but you need a quest 2 patch to account for higher processing.

aRchMaGe333
Explorer
PITTCANNA said:

still you have to make for quest 1 but you need a quest 2 patch to account for higher processing.

That's not what I asked, yet again. 
You're spam-trolling.

Someone please actually answer my post?

PITTCANNA
Visionary

PITTCANNA said:

You're spam-trolling.

I am not spam trolling.  You clearly don't understand marketing and device adpotion.

Yes the quest 2 has much more power gpu wise with the xr2 chip ang 6 gig ram.
So the increase in triangles is very possible with AI and video upscaling.  The danger is over developing for the xr2 chip.

What i mean is you have quest 1 users that would be out of luck if developers aggressively developed for the xr2 then the 835.   Because the truth is the xr2 is capable of 120 hz, oculus made the decision to cap at 90 to be fair to quest 1 users.

So developers are given limits to what should be done.  There is ample headroom for the xr2, but they still need to design primarily for the 835, and patch for quest 2. 

5fxdrys1jzqc.png

Nekto2
Superstar

1) Where does this change come from?

No info. Could be some internal software optimizations (like time wrap to fill in 40 to 80Hz) or some other considerations (drop of Go support may be).

2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)?

You could watch latest Carmack keynote on hardware info. But it could be lengthy.
Just will point that Q2 is not using full processing power to save buttery and prevent overheating.
Oculus have had to decide what would be software processing limit.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

PITTCANNA said:

PITTCANNA said:

You're spam-trolling.

I am not spam trolling.  You clearly don't understand marketing and device adpotion.

Yes the quest 2 has much more power gpu wise with the xr2 chip ang 6 gig ram.
So the increase in triangles is very possible with AI and video upscaling.  The danger is over developing for the xr2 chip.

What i mean is you have quest 1 users that would be out of luck if developers aggressively developed for the xr2 then the 835.   Because the truth is the xr2 is capable of 120 hz, oculus made the decision to cap at 90 to be fair to quest 1 users.

So developers are given limits to what should be done.  There is ample headroom for the xr2, but they still need to design primarily for the 835, and patch for quest 2. 

5fxdrys1jzqc.png

Yup, but Oculus said XR2 is only 35% faster than Snapdragon 835, they had to cripple it to save battery power. And the higher res and forcing 90 fps easily eat up all the extra power - but more ram is great for textures.
Compared to new gpus from Nvidia and AMD the Quest 2 XR2 is nothing but the worst low-end garbage. It's just a new generation of phoneVR/GearVR with Touch.
The great thing about Quest 2 is of course that you can use it with a RTX 3080 to experience real VR. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My bad, the Quest 2 gpu is only 33 % faster than Quest, not 35%, but the cpu power is upgraded from the extremely low-end to the very low-end, might feel like going from that 486DX2 66 Mhz to 100 Mhz, if vsync doesn't kill the framerate party 😉

g03fle6kwrgy.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"