cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1000k triangles per frame: Quest or Quest 2? What is the difference? Why the update from 100k?

aRchMaGe333
Explorer
The official documentation page "Testing and Performance Analysis" has been updated to state that the recommended "load" for tris count is 750-1000k. 
This used to be 100k. A professional who constantly works with Oculus Quest VR in a major firm recently quoted this for me, then I found out it has been changed (not sure how recent the change is). 

My questions are:

1) Where does this change come from?

... and more importantly... :

2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)
Can we have separate recommendations for Quest and Quest2, with numbers and everything? Surely it's not the same number?

15 REPLIES 15

aRchMaGe333
Explorer

Nekto2 said:

No info. Could be some internal software optimizations (like time wrap to fill in 40 to 80Hz) or some other considerations (drop of Go support may be).

2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)?

You could watch latest Carmack keynote on hardware info. But it could be lengthy.
Just will point that Q2 is not using full processing power to save buttery and prevent overheating.
Oculus have had to decide what would be software processing limit.

I hope PITTCANNA can compare this answer to his and realize how he's still babbling about unrelated things. 

About the "No info" part I was hoping some official statements could be given on this unclarified official page info, apart from the page being "fixed" so that it's clear what it's saying. Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback, Nekto2.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Nekto2 said:

No info. Could be some internal software optimizations (like time wrap to fill in 40 to 80Hz) or some other considerations (drop of Go support may be).

2) What is the difference between Quest and Quest2 when it comes to this recommendation (triangles per frame)?

You could watch latest Carmack keynote on hardware info. But it could be lengthy.
Just will point that Q2 is not using full processing power to save buttery and prevent overheating.
Oculus have had to decide what would be software processing limit.

I hope PITTCANNA can compare this answer to his and realize how he's still babbling about unrelated things. 

About the "No info" part I was hoping some official statements could be given on this unclarified official page info, apart from the page being "fixed" so that it's clear what it's saying. Nevertheless, thank you for the feedback, Nekto2.

Piece of advice. When asking for free help and someone tries to help you, it is bad form to act like an a-hole. Especially to someone who has been around here for a long time and has helped lots of people.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

PITTCANNA
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

My bad, the Quest 2 gpu is only 33 % faster than Quest, not 35%, but the cpu power is upgraded from the extremely low-end to the very low-end, might feel like going from that 486DX2 66 Mhz to 100 Mhz, if vsync doesn't kill the framerate party 😉

g03fle6kwrgy.jpg

It's not so much the GPU, but the ai factor of the xr2 chipset.  It would not surprise me if they offer something along the lines of dlss.  But that would mean a whole different firmware.

aRchMaGe333
Explorer

Piece of advice. When asking for free help and someone tries to help you, it is bad form to act like an a-hole. Especially to someone who has been around here for a long time and has helped lots of people.

Free help? Really? Not paid help?

We're all here to help each other by reading the posts and replying to what we read, not spam-trolling with whatever random string of words we divine out of nowhere. How does anyone even have time for this much redundant nonsense?

I (wrongly) assumed Oculus employees were watching these threads. This pertains to the official webpage and the quality of info that people are able to get out of it. It's my free QA for the platform we're all using and what I got in return? A random string of blah-blah that's going to hide the actual answer. People need to get over their inflated self-worth and actually practice what they preach, which is be of service to the many. No one should give a damn about being nice to someone who entered the thread as an a-hole, being of disservice to us all. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
This is the community forum, comprised of primarily end-users and VR enthusiasts. You can try the developer forum, if you haven’t already—you might get better answers to technical questions there. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Transmind
Honored Guest

Hi, can you give me the link of the official article:"Testing and Performance Analysis" (which state that the recommended "load" for tris count is 750-1000k)

cause i only see the number suggested for rift platform here:https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/pc/dg-performance-guidelines/