cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render resolution

Papragu
Explorer
I got a Quest 2 around a month ago and mostly i am happy with it, except the fact that i do not see a difference between Quest 2 native resolution and Link resolution. Doesn't matter how high i set the resolution and the encode bitrate in ODT, objects which are further away than 3-4 Meters look really low res and aliased and it drives me nuts. Anybody have a solution or is this how the Quest 2 is?

My specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RTX 2060 OC
RAM: 32Gb 3200MHz
USB: 3.0 5m (2.1Gb/s)
8 REPLIES 8

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Well full render resolution of quest 2 should be at 1.7 but in your case the highest I would push it is 1.2 maybe 1.3.  then set encode 500 mbps, low distortion curve, and 3664 width in the debug tool.  Try that and see how it looks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PITTCANNA said:

Well full render resolution of quest 2 should be at 1.7 but in your case the highest I would push it is 1.2 maybe 1.3.  then set encode 500 mbps, low distortion curve, and 3664 width in the debug tool.  Try that and see how it looks.

does any of the debug tool settings you mentioned affects performance?

PITTCANNA
Visionary

PITTCANNA said:

does any of the debug tool settings you mentioned affects performance?

Distortion curve affects clarity, encode rate cleans up some artifacts, and texture width will force a better render field.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
After the v23 update, I don’t think it’s recommended to change Quest 2 Link settings via the ODT except for bitrate and distortion curve. Encode resolution for Quest 2 now defaults to 3664 (and I don’t think the ODT setting does anything anymore), and with the new settings, 500 may be too high for bitrate (Oculus suggests that you get minimal benefit over 250). Set your resolution and frame rate directly in the Oculus desktop app.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I believe that there is a lot of confusion and misinformation out there.

For example, the OP says he doesn't see any difference between Quest and Quest on Link. This is a false expectation.
First, the Quest's resolution doesn't magically get better when on Link. The limitation of the Quest is on the CPUs ability to render complex game elements, not display images. When you look at a static image on Quest or on PC via link, you should not expect that it will look any different, no matter what your settings are. The Quest screen displays as good native as it does on the PC. Hooking up to your computer doesn't activate pixels that weren't being used or give you extra crisp resolution, the screen displays what it is capable of displaying.

Second, if you want to compare, you can only compare games that have both Quest and Rift versions. Then there has to be actual differences between the two versions. If someone simply ported the app from one platform to the other, then it isn't going to look any different.

Angry Birds on Quest and Angry Birds on Rift via Link look exactly the same (unless you are playing through a potato). In fact people were angry about Onward because the dev "dumbed down" the PC graphics to make multiplayer work right.

There are certainly apps that have a much more graphically intense version on PC than on the Quest. Play Phantom Covert Ops on your Quest and then play it on your PC and the difference is shocking. I think people got on the hype train and expect that anything trough link is going to look better. Even if you have dual RTX 3090s Angry birds is not going to look any better on your PC than it does on Quest. 

I have an RTX 2080 TI running at 1.7 and encode rate at 500, and it PLAYS stunning. But again that's when I'm playing Lone Echo or Asgard's wrath. Angry Birds looks the same on both platforms. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Papragu
Explorer
Second, if you want to compare, you can only compare games that have both Quest and Rift versions. Then there has to be actual differences between the two versions. If someone simply ported the app from one platform to the other, then it isn't going to look any different.birds is not going to look any better on your PC than it does on Quest. 
Thank you for clearing this up, this is what i already expected. I didn't expect pixel to pop up where are none, but my rig is by far more powerfull than the Quest 2 and i expected PC versions via Link looking better than the Quest versions of the game. Specially the point about quality of render distance.

I just couldn't figure out why everything close by looks crisp and high res while objects couple feet away look like 640x480

gintas.jonelis
Honored Guest

Personally, i have a decent pc similar to yours with rx 5700 (basically only a little bit better than rtx 2060) and r5 3600 as well and whatever I did in debug tool was bad, i tested hours upon hours. and i would not suggest changing any bitrate like others say... just leave it at auto, its best, and put distortion curvature at low just looks better i guess and encode resolution i have at 2016... cause bigger values lag\frame drops plus i play on 80hz cause 90 only works sometimes, and in general oculus link is so buggy sometimes it works sometimes you have to spend many minutes just to make it work again like restarting headset restarting oculus etc...  so yeah not suggest going to 3664 like some idiot said... unless you want to play with 50 fps and frame drops with look disgusting for motion sickness

gintas.jonelis
Honored Guest

plus personally, I don't see a big difference going from my 2016 to 3664...