cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember Chronos? Well here's Chronos Before the Ashes Gameplay in 2D

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Remember that lovely Gunfire Games VR game "Chronos" for Oculus CV1. I think most people who played it agreed it was pretty decent and a neat showcase for how third-person games can work well in VR. Gunfire, will release the same game for pancake 2D gamers on consoles and PC next month. If you're interested, here's how it looks on PC using the max settings and 4K resolution. I wonder if you'll get much nostalgia from this?

In my opinion though, despite looking fairly crisp, the 2D version doesn't begin to compare to the VR game. You can still get immersed in this souls-like game on desktop, but I find you lose the sense of scale and just being inside the game VR affords. Either way, don't y'all think it's interesting that a VR game gets the reverse treatment when usually it's the other way around. What's next, an official Half-Life Alyx (yeh I am aware modders made a 2D version) on desktop PC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlbdTR_IjzE

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
26 REPLIES 26

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

5 years later some of us are still playing 

Only difference is... some of us are now playing on battery lol

ka4m4qgmi4a1.png

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It's a long time since I played games like Dark Souls 3, and I'm not very good at such games - I prefer first person shooters and adventure games. So I was afraid I might not be able to defeat the giant Cyclops in Chronos. But I just did  🙂
Also I play using the normal difficulty level, not the easy one - which might have been an error on my part, lol. 
I did find all the biggest weapons, magic stones and got the large shield, but still Cyclops costed me like 15 lives. Actually had to practice to improve my combat skills - normally I don't dodge much, but just use the shield and my weapon. 

The games is rated at about 15 hours, but I might have spent that on the first 30% of the game :blush:  

The game is truly mind-blowing, and there are places that might have inspired the devs behind A Fisherman's Tale, especially when changing certain perspectives and sizes. 

But back to my old friend, I'm really thankful to Oculus for providing another beyond awesome experience - I don't think even Jeff in Alyx got me sweating more than Cyclops  😄

https://twitter.com/Chronos_Game/status/1316832288789979138

p6v4rhlrumge.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, just saw the credits and counted 80 names, so surely much effort went into the Oculus VR version. Also just found this interesting video introducing the devs - note that you have to click on the tweet to get to the vid, not sure why the vid doesn't integrate and show here:

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/763401266768687104

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, I'm aware I post a lot about Chronos VR in a thread about the super-flat pancake version. But I think this is the newest thread about Chronos in here, thus maybe no reason to revive much older threads.

Another thing - how many in here knew that Chronos VR has its own subreddit? 😉

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chronos/

Last post is only a year old!  😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Chronos is a great game (VR) version. It's one of the first screenshots I ever shared on this forum (2016)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/419920#Comment_419920

Other than being a great experience overall, I can see why it doesn't create a lot of chatter. The gameplay is fairly straight forward. One early-game puzzle can be tricky, and then one late-game puzzle was cruel. Those 2 puzzles cause most of the online discussion. Still... very well worth the price of admission.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Chronos is a great game (VR) version. It's one of the first screenshots I ever shared on this forum (2016)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/419920#Comment_419920

Other than being a great experience overall, I can see why it doesn't create a lot of chatter. The gameplay is fairly straight forward. One early-game puzzle can be tricky, and then one late-game puzzle was cruel. Those 2 puzzles cause most of the online discussion. Still... very well worth the price of admission.

Also my joy of killing Cyclops was quite brief - maybe because I cleaned most of the rooms on the first floor before Cyclops - so I nearly jumped from one boss to the next:

chronos - Twitter Search

The fighting can be tough (like Dark Souls 3) and may be a turn-off to some. I love the game for the surroundings and the adventure elements, I'm not that fond of the fighting - still the game is 10/10 and I'm going back for more spanking tonight B)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, Chronos VR has a Metascore of 77%, while the pancake has 69%. In the Oculus Store the VR version has an average rating of 88% based on 1,300 ratings - while the pancake version is only 6/10 on Steam based on 170 ratings.

The pancake does have advantages like moving instead of stationary camera. (In the VR version only your character and opponents/npcs move, walls don't, while the 2D version works similar to Tomb Raider with a free moving camera.) Also the 2D version shows health bars, right now I have no clue when a boss is dead. The VR version may have been even better with these changes too (but would be more nausea inducing to some players).  

I do believe the better score for the VR version has to do with immersion - just sitting there in some great halls and taking in the atmosphere is worth much more than I paid for the game. You simply can't get such immersion from a pancake.