cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request for visual accessibility (zoom button)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Oculus Team,

i'm one of the many bad sighted gamers out there. My eyes are so bad (< 10% right, < 1% left) that standard glasses doesn't help anymore. For standard displays i can use my magnifiers and binoculars but in VR Headset that's not an option.

So my gaming experience depends on a good accessibility of the visual components especially the menus. I have a very hard time reading menus if they have a fixed position in the world that i can't get close enough to, and i mean nose-to-screen-close.

A very helpful feature for this problem would be holding or pressing a button combination to zoom in the visible picture by 2x or 4x or in steps by pressing multiple times r something similar.

Some menus are so badly implemented that even people with standard sight have a hard time to read them.

Please consider implementing such a feature globally in your Oculus Home Software to make it usable in every VR Software. Because i can't even read the menus in Oculus Home ... i have to put down the Headset und read the text with a magnifier in the normal display in the Oculus Mirror App ...

I guess i'm not the only one that would have a good use for such a feature that would make the VR life much easier and even more awesome.

Cheers,
Teldan
20 REPLIES 20

eagleeyez
Protege

I too am
badly partially sighted and love VR
and also developing in VR the problem is reading any text in VR like the menus
or in game.

I can only
get around this by one of two things.

1.       I stream the Quest to a tablet or
ChrimcastV3 to a TV and someone reads to me what I am seeing and maybe want to
click or setup.

2.       I use an adb command to capture a
screenshot and then zoom into that picture on the pc.

All very bad and accessibility discriminating. Think about all android
phones now, they have TTS, zoom and are user friendly. This has to come somehow
to VR, so Oculus come on and change the game and be the first to help the
disabled.      

A very simple way to just get us in for the beginning would be to let us
use a fly-around the menu camera and be able to get really close.

At the moment with tracking we can move ourselves physically towards the
menu, get closer to read but then you decided to fade out because we are
getting to close. Don’t fade, let us get as close as we like. Best would be lit
us fly.

Nicer would be to actually activate TTS, so that menu items or even text
in games can be read out to us. Android can do this already but you can’t.

Another way would be here as mentioned. Zooming in to your text in the environment.
 This would just be actually being able
to move the camera around where you like while holding a button. That way I don’t
have to move myself closer to the text.

I can already do all that in my own unity project using some plugins but I cannot use your home screen. So let me build my own home screen .

Also being able to change all the Quest settings in the Android app or
PC app would be great too.

I am going to keep at this and post to other forums and pray that
something better can be done for people with bad eyesight or like me with
really bad eyesight.

Thank you all for any help or
suggestions here. I will try anything.

eagleeyez
Protege

Yahoo, yes and yes. I have just tried out the oculus link cable mode (pc stream to Quest) and this is
a slightly different menu but as partially sighted you can pull the menus and settings
bar towards you and place them as you like. You can even overlay them and pin
them around you if you want. I can even pull them like a few millimetres in
front of my nose. I can see now a lot more and can orientate myself around the
menus and settings, but I am extremely partially sighted and could still do
with a bigger text or when so close just click the text and TTS should read it
back to me. That would be a game changer for me and others but also a bit of
magic.

This makes it for the very first time for someone with sight problems to
actually pull the menu closer and read them.

This however does not work yet in the standard home screen but I will
write to Oculus and beg them to carry on with this super new feature that
actually helps the disabled to use Oculus Quest and maybe other products from
Oculus.

Thank you Oculus and please listen when I write to you soon.

I will be making a complete video tomorrow of this and how I use VR with
Oculus as a nearly blind person. And yes there still needs to be more done but
I know now that Oculus are on the way just like Xbox is.

I will post the video link here tomorrow

eagleeyez
Protege

so many years later and Just as I thought
facebook is not interested in helping with making the oculus accessible to
partially sighted people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, it makes me relly sad that nothing major happened until now. A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea to get me one for christmas but I cant even navigate the menus because the text is way too small and far away for me. this zoom feature (that would be akin to the magnifier in windows) would be a life saver.

ViRiX_Dreamcore
Honored Guest
I am very excited to get the Quest 2, however without these features, the device is not entirely useful to me. So I'm holding off until that gets implemented in some form. Maybe a button that you can press that opens up a little magnifier that is atached to the controller that you can hold up to whatever you want, that way it won't really throw you entirely out of the experience. 

Masterluck
Honored Guest
Signed, I also have very bad eyes, under 5%, and would love to have a zooming option for text. At the moment, when I can't read something I take off the headset and look on the screen with windows magnifier. Also I have the Rift CV1, which hasn't a very high resolution, which makes it even harder to see the text.

And a little hint for developers. Look at Tilt Brush from Google. They put the menu in the left hand. So you can bring it very close to your eyes. That's a really cool idea and would solve most problems. Don't put the menu on a big screen, 4m away from the player. That's not very accessible and therefore bad design.

Seanofthedead5
Honored Guest
Yes please! I'm also partially blind and although I can play some games without too much difficulty navigating menus is really hard for me. These are all great suggestions and it would definitely make it so I could use my headset more.

I don’t get this. It is soo simple to add a zoom feautre or bring the screen closer in quest 2, but nothing has been done. This angers me on a deep level. It feels like we have been left to suffer. Shame on oculus for not adding any Zoom accessibilities.

Give us zoom accessibility.