cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Flight Sim X (FSX) confirmed working with Rift!

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
Immersion is incredible! Gauges are actually quite readable! I need to do more experiments with larger planes and tubeliners

I got it to work with FaceTrackNoir (pre-alpha release supports the rift), and Vireio Perception. I'll post up a tutorial and more feedback soon.
255 REPLIES 255

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
"MrGeddings" wrote:
or you can just wait until the VorpX drivers come out, it should have support for Flight Sim X with headtracking. 😛

Yeah but VorpX is commercial and is going to cost $$$.

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
I've got the curves corrected now, it makes a big difference. Capture shot of how it should look on the first page.

OmniAtlas
Honored Guest
Attempting to land with the NGX at Innsbruck.

I am telling you, my landings have NEVER been so perfect....being completely immersified in the cockpit helps.

JOHIsaac
Honored Guest
I'd love to see a video,

ingamal
Honored Guest
Great effort. I cant' wait 'till my dev kit arrives. So far I have managed to get FSX and perception working together but I am forced to just look cross eyed at the screen.
There does not seem to be any 3D effect however and on a close inspection of the posted images there does not seem to be any perspective changes between the left and right images. Does it appear 3D with the Oculus?
By the way, was that Coolangatta airport on the first image?

ianmacmillan
Explorer
"ingamal" wrote:
Great effort. I cant' wait 'till my dev kit arrives. So far I have managed to get FSX and perception working together but I am forced to just look cross eyed at the screen.
There does not seem to be any 3D effect however and on a close inspection of the posted images there does not seem to be any perspective changes between the left and right images. Does it appear 3D with the Oculus?
By the way, was that Coolangatta airport on the first image?

If i may answer on OmniAtlas's behalf: stereo is deliberately turned of by setting 'game-type=0' in Vireio's profiles.xml file. The intent is to boost frame rate to useable levels ( no stereo = less rendering workload = basicaaly full frame rate). And because we are only doing orientation tracking with no positional tracking, you will not get 'perspective' (parallaxing) changes, which is unfortunate because having it would probably make you not even care about the lack of stereo rendering.

Makes me wonder if it would be possible to add a Hydra into the mix to get positional tracking. Maybe attach it to the base of you neck, then incorporarate a head/neck, neck/waist model. That would be tremendous.

mbuehler
Honored Guest
So we can turn stereo back on if we choose? Or was this just to get it working at all?

I've been flying around, it is fun! But pales in comparison to Heli Hell for the lack of 3D. FSX is not the best graphics to start with anyway, I'm a bit confused why it runs so poorly on my system (had to turn things down a bit).

Heli Hell with the Hydra is great, I like leaning in to view my gauges and it really completes the immersion. I'd imagine the FaceTrackNoIR folks could hook that in for the final axis as well?

mm0zct
Protege
I'd like to clarify a few things about the FTNOIR application:

I am not the developer of FTNOIR, I simply wrote the Rift plugin for the posix branch of FTNOIR

FTNOIR is not "alpha", the build I provided is a simply pre-release of version 1.8 (or v180).

The main FTNOIR developer has decided not to merge the posix branch into 1.8, and as such the posix branch has forked the project to OpenTrack

I intend to maintain the Rift support at OpenTrack and hopefully add some new features.

FTNOIR/OpenTrack supports 2 simulatious tracker inputs, so you can use IR, Face, or some other tracking for positional tracking, and use the Rift for rotational. I intend to add positional tracking support in due course, and possibly Hydra support (since I've had my hydra for ages anyway)

On the game mode = "0" front this mode is used because Virieo doesn't properly support FSX in stereo 3D yet and has rendering problems, mode 0 is a safe more that doesn't interfere with the rendering, but as such is simply in mono.

ianmacmillan
Explorer
"mm0zct" wrote:
I'd like to clarify a few things about the FTNOIR application:

I am not the developer of FTNOIR, I simply wrote the Rift plugin for the posix branch of FTNOIR

FTNOIR is not "alpha", the build I provided is a simply pre-release of version 1.8 (or v180).

The main FTNOIR developer has decided not to merge the posix branch into 1.8, and as such the posix branch has forked the project to OpenTrack

I intend to maintain the Rift support at OpenTrack and hopefully add some new features.

FTNOIR/OpenTrack supports 2 simulatious tracker inputs, so you can use IR, Face, or some other tracking for positional tracking, and use the Rift for rotational. I intend to add positional tracking support in due course, and possibly Hydra support (since I've had my hydra for ages anyway)

On the game mode = "0" front this mode is used because Virieo doesn't properly support FSX in stereo 3D yet and has rendering problems, mode 0 is a safe more that doesn't interfere with the rendering, but as such is simply in mono.

Position tracking would be reallly great. 🙂

I have set game_mode to 0 for FSX.exe, and yet I still get stereo rendering...at least it sure looks that way to me. And looking at OmniAtlas's screen shot up above, it's clear he has stereo on as well, but I'm willing to guess he has game_mode set to 0, also (please correct me if I'm wrong, OA). Is there more to that setting than meets the eye?

mm0zct
Protege
It might look stereo because it is not at monitor depth but i can assure you there is no difference between the eyes. Feel free to layer them in gimp or photoshop and you'll see.