cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to Hogwarts - Walk and fly around the school - V.0755

gunair
Explorer
Hello Rifters,

am I the only one, who wants to walk and fly around Hogwarts castle? I don't think so - so here's my solution:

BACK TO HOGWARTS
- a free, non-commercial fan project -

HogwartsFlugsmall.jpg

It's Version 0.755, but the FINAL VERSION, because I'm running out of my trial license. :cry:

Being an absolute beginner, - with no idea of programming -, to the whole topic, don't expect too much. It's just a (huge) demo to walk around Hogwarts on 4 terrains (only 2 more or less "finished") with a great looking Hogwarts model (made by DANIO MORENO), music (by HORRORPEN) a lake with an island and a tower on it, forests, animals, farm etc, etc ... and of course a working flying broomstick to fly over it all...

Although there would be so much to do (stop the "funny moving" of the trees (!), terrain design, repair the corrupted and adds the rest of the Hogwarts model; Adding: animations, Hogsmeade station, Hogsmeade village, more animated animals, a unicorn, griffon, dumbledore, more sounds, more interaction, game components etc, etc.....), but as I said, I'm running out of the license...

Before you start 2 things: :!:
1) !!!! ATTENTION: Takes a long time after the "Powered by Unity" sign to start !!!!!!
2) Two issues (without solution yet): :oops:

The tunnel: Normally it takes just a few seconds, but sometimes it seems, that you are stuck in there. You might have to wait to get to your destination. Wait and don't move!
Mounting the broomstick for the first time: Sometimes it doesn’t work! No idea, why. No solution yet. You have to start the demo again. !!!! GAMEPAD must be ready before starting the demo to work correctly!!!!

I recommend to read the "READ ME" PDF before starting (while downlaoding the demo e.g.). Download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gftfhfgnfhsd9d/Back%20to%20Hogwarts%20V0.755-%20README.pdf

And the Demo of course - "Back to Hogwarts - V.0755"

WINDOWS 32-Bit :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8nd52x7m9hibf0k/BackToHogwartsV0755.zip
mirror:
https://www.mediafire.com/?debkh1ej9di253y

Linux built:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2cveavkjc1fdwk/BacktoHogwartsLinux.zip

Mac built:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5bp20cj27dh7e8/BacktoHogwartsV0755MAC.app.zip

BACK TO HOGWARTS - THE DEMO

"LEVEL 1" - In the mood

You are at a - very well known - place, enjoying your holidays. While watching the sea and mountains, listening to the seagulls you get in a mood and remember the time at your old school of witchcraft and wizardry. Perhaps there's a way..... Well, why not visiting the OWL statue in the garden....

(BTW: Do you know, what the floo network is ??? )

"LEVEL 2" - Back again

Of course you know, that there is no direct way to Hogwarts castle, whether by apparation nor by floo network. And so the network transports you to a forest nearby. Follow the way down to Hogwarts Lake. Being there, you have the choice:

Go left and follow the way around the lake, passing some sheep and may visit a small farm and follow the way to the Boathouse (you should visit it!) and climb up the stairs to castle Hogwarts – and/or

Go right to the "Crow Tower" on the island in the lake. Find your hidden broomstick (if you need a way to reach the island - there will be one – remember, it’s Hogwarts nearby 😉 )

Of course, if you fly on your broomstick, you can land everywhere on - even as possible - ground (Terrain & Crow Tower & big courtyard at the entrance of Hogwarts & inside Quidditch stadium & in ONE Hogwarts tower – with the dark brown wooden floor)

But don't smash Hagrid's pumpkins with your broomstick !!! 😉 )

I recommend to walk around first and then fly over the scene you have seen as a pedestrian before. But that's up to you. And the terrains on the right aren't finished (and so "empty") yet...

I also recommend to stay while walking around and to sit while flying...

For Game Controls - read the "Read Me" file please!!!!

I hope you enjoy hiking at hogwarts lake and flying over Hogwarts as much as I do.... 😄

Gunair

PS: Again, big "Thank You" to DANI MORENO and "HORRORPEN" and to all makers of the used assets...
LocomotionVR.de - Virtual reality in eMotion http://www.locomotionVr.de Organizer of HANNOVER VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP & Member of COLOGNE VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP DK2 Status: OWNER SINCE 04.AUG.14 Ordered: Mar 19, 2014 09:52 AM PDT
44 REPLIES 44

gunair
Explorer
:!: Big, BIG THANKS to drash for his video!!! :!: - I hope, it helps a lot.

Well, to be honest, I had no idea, that it may be SO difficult to find the broomstick! (and I couldn't imagine, that no one seems to read the "Readme" or the initial thread...) :mrgreen:

Okay, just a few more things:

1) "Floo network" means - Step in the fireplace!

2) Stay on the Path to reach everything!

3) There's no reason to go into the water! Never! Life in the demo isn't so sad!! :mrgreen:

4) To find the broomstick: Watch drash's video OR go about 40 meters to the right, when you are at the lake shore "T" crossing (you hear the crows) , and turn then left. Theres a gap between the trees at the shore. Walk on the island...

5) Dont't go further to the right. There's a way, but there is nothing to see (yet).

6) Drash is right. It's a vast area! When RUNNING through the area (on the path), it takes, - From demo start, AROUND (not through) the lake, without visiting the farm, climbing upstairs, - round about 6 minutes to reach Hogwarts castle! And then you haven't even stoppped to SEE anything of the demo...

7) You can reach every Hogwarts reference location of the demo WITHOUT flying - Hogwarts castle, Hagrid's hut, the stone circle, the quidditch stadium, the whomping willow. The greenhouses are inaccessible, because the model is corrupted there...

😎 It REALLY helps, reading the "READ ME" file, especially for flying and landing!! Really! 😉

Last request: I can't see, how many people have already downloaded the demo or tryed it - so give me some feedback please, if you liked it or not! And which things were okay and which one should become better... Perhaps I will have the opportunity to work on the demo in the future (DK2 with a new trial?)

Thanks,

Gunair
LocomotionVR.de - Virtual reality in eMotion http://www.locomotionVr.de Organizer of HANNOVER VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP & Member of COLOGNE VIRTUAL REALITY MEETUP DK2 Status: OWNER SINCE 04.AUG.14 Ordered: Mar 19, 2014 09:52 AM PDT

Gablar
Honored Guest
This is one of my favorite demos so far. I loved the views, the boathouse and the castle. there are many details scattered around that add a lot of realism to the scene. Love the animated piggies.

Drachenherz
Protege
As I'm an enthuasiast consumer and not really a developer, I don't think I could make good use of my unity pro trial... I just wonder whether it's against some rule to give away the trial license code to someone who could really use and need it?

FictionX
Honored Guest
"mephisto8" wrote:
Hello. I know two small people who would love to try this. Is there any chance you can make builds for Mac and Linux? (For Linux choose 'x86 + x86_64 (Universal)'.)

Heheh.. When I read the messages and saw the "x86 + x86_64 (Universal)" line, the first thing I thought was "I don't remember writing in this thread??" :lol: Thanks for including me in Your request 🙂

Tried the demo - and liked it a lot. Thanks. I do have some issues with control mappings in the Linux version - but since it seems the right trigger isn't used, I think I can fix it from the Unity input pane.

This could be quite fun if You keep working on it! There was some issues with sounds (from the lake) that was too persistent even if You was far from the lake (at the "stadium"), but a lot of things worked very well. I really liked the intro-part that "melted" away, and I thought it was brilliant to use the Tuscany house (which is home away from home for a lot of us now). Also the Owl, the fire and the portraits were a great touch - and I loved the chimney on the phone-booth! 🙂

mephisto8
Honored Guest
"FictionX" wrote:
Hello. I know two small people who would love to try this. Is there any chance you can make builds for Mac and Linux? (For Linux choose 'x86 + x86_64 (Universal)'.)

I just realized that it could sound like I was calling you a 'small person'. I meant my niece and nephew!

Darius
Honored Guest
Hi Gunair,
Just discovered your demo and being a huge fan of HP I ofcourse had to try it. Very nice work so far!! Really impressive considering you have just started with Unity just a couple of months ago. I really like the scale of it. I have walked around for the past 15 minutes to enjoy the scenery and can't wait to go find the broomstick now. Will take a quick peek at the Drash video and off I go. Keep working on it, man! Est ist super!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Holy crap, I was about to quit it after 14 min of loading in that freaking tunnel and just when I put the rift back on for a last try, I appeared 😄

Enjoyed this quite much, however my broom had quite a strong drift to the left and I could not dismount for the love of god. However, very well done so far, thanks for the experience and a shame that you will not continue!

Best Regs

gunair
Explorer
Thank you for the nice response!

@Gablar: Well, the boathouse and the castle are not my work - Dani Moreno did that GREAT JOB! (i just worked on it to repair the corrupted mesh data). But I totally agree - esp. the boathouse is fantastic! I like the piggies too (and of course my sheep 😉 ) although, they are (as the rest) unfinished. They need some more animations, different (dirtier) texture and of course audio! Sad to say, that here are many animals more (Goats, more rabbits, cows, snakes, spiders....) waiting to be in the demo...

@FictionX: Great to hear, that the Linux version works! The waterfall is a little bit to loud and not well balanced yet, your are right. But it was the last thing I added and there was no time left to do it 100% correct... The melting "Maruders Map" effect wasn't planned at the beginning, but I had this effect - which not worked at the other place I wanted to use it - and so the idea came up. Like many things in the demo - it happend by chance. I really love things like that, it's like the demo has a life of itself somehow.... 😄 .Yes the chimney! It was "logical"to have a chimney on a phone boothe - in the second you start thinking it that wonderful, crazy, lovable way of the Potter universe 😄

@Darius: I guess, as an HP fan, you didn't need any hint, what the floo-network is or how to use it, right? 😉 I hope you enjoy flying around as much as walking around! (but I'm quite sure 😉 ) - btw, it's the only way to get INSIDE the quidditch stadium and to see, where all the students are 😉 .

@nuin: I hereby declare, that you will get the great golden "Back to Hogwarts" medal for persistance and patience! 14 mins waiting! To be honest, i wouldn't have waited so long. The sad thing, is, that I have NO idea why it happens sometimes, I'm very sorry!!! :oops: But I love to hear, that you enjoyed it anyhow!

Sadly - my license ran out yesterday night....

BTW: Does anobody knows, IF a second four month trial could be activated? Or perhaps did a second activation ??? Because I want to continue the work on the demo - Too many references of the HP universe are there, that I want to see in the demo... 😉

Gunair

PS: :shock: Oops - I just noticed, that I forgot to delete the first Hogsmeade station building... shouldn't be there :oops: It can be found in the middle of the big, green - apart from that empty - terrain (better use the broomstock, if you want to go there!)

uswin
Explorer
oh man, i wish you find a way to activated the unity again man. this is like a wizardly dream come true, so many fun stuff in hp world

Darius
Honored Guest
Hi Gunair,
I have found the broom and took it for a flight. Took a little time to understand the controller controls but then when I got the hang of it I flew everywhere. That was really great. As a matter of fact, I found the forgotten Hogsmeade station building and when I entered, there was a dementor inside. It started to hunt me down and I fled to Hogwarts and hid in the basement. Only to find out a mushroom-crazed troll was lurking there. With the right combination of spells I was able to defeat him and when I searched his pockets I found an unused Unity Pro 4-months Trial license. What are the odds, I ask you? 😄

PM me and it's yours.