cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuscany demo - blurry during rotation

gandhiku
Honored Guest
Hi All,

Is it just me or is everyone else experiencing this issue? Or it it even a known issue or is this how its just supposed to be?

When running the tuscany demo or the tiny room demo the image always blurs when rotating about the x,y or z axis. When I use the mouse and look at the same image on my computer screen there is no blur and extremely smooth. But through the headset its very blurry. After using the headset for like 5-6 minutes i took it off and then real life became blurry (until my eyes adjusted again and then it was fine). I tried to do various things to fix this problem (set power options to high performance, went through all the setup steps thoroughly, adjust the headset for maximum comfort).

I'm running this on a HP dv7-t Quad Series laptop. I have 16GB of RAM and have the ATI Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB of video memory. Everything is set to high performance settings.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to improve this, as for now I don't think its usable and causes a lot of nausea with the blur during rotation.

Regards
Kunal.
35 REPLIES 35

jwilkins
Explorer
I was thinking about revisiting this thread and seeing if I needed to correct/revise my previous statements on this matter. :lol:
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

DrR1pper
Honored Guest
Fyi, i don't hold any grudges and i understand why you and the other guy reacted the way that you did. What i wrote was of my own experience so you are right in pointing out the sample size, subjectiveness, etc, but i was also trying to get people stirred up into trying it for themselves.

If you don't mind, i'd just like to repost the picture of my kdr page because i can see that it was too large to fit on the forum and so it cuts out the part i was trying to show (unless people clicked on the picture to see it in full).

and how that graph stacks up today

My overall average kdr (as seen in the graph and takes in all kills and deaths since the start of the game in 2011) is still on the rise but as it gets closer to my current per-game average it will plateau, which is what it looks to be doing there.

Again though, that sudden rise in overall average kdr (and has continued so ever since) is the most interesting (at least to me) because it all began when i bought a lightboost monitor.

jwilkins
Explorer
What is also interesting is that a lot of people seemed dead set against using OLED.

Unfortunately today is not a great day for me to follow up on this, but now that I know you are still paying attention I'll definitely make sure I look at this again sometime this week. If I have to apologize, no use doing it if nobody is listening... :oops:
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

DrR1pper
Honored Guest
"jwilkins" wrote:
What is also interesting is that a lot of people seemed dead set against using OLED.

I don't know much about OLED. I remember the hype when i first saw the 11" samsumg OLD TV and flexible screens, etc. What are the advantages and for vr other than lower power draw and weight?

"jwilkins" wrote:
Unfortunately today is not a great day for me to follow up on this, but now that I know you are still paying attention I'll definitely make sure I look at this again sometime this week. If I have to apologize, no use doing it if nobody is listening... :oops:

Let bygones be bygones. In the end, how were you to know the experience of using lightboost displays? I had a somewhat similar reaction/skepticism towards it until i tried it (but only because i had the intention of getting it refunded thinking it wasn't going to match up to peoples reactions of using it). So don't beat yourself up. 😉

jwilkins
Explorer
"DrR1pper" wrote:
"jwilkins" wrote:

I don't know much about OLED. I remember the hype when i first saw the 11" samsumg OLD TV and flexible screens, etc. What are the advantages and for vr other than lower power draw and weight?

The display used in Crystal Cove is an OLED IIRC.
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

DrR1pper
Honored Guest
"jwilkins" wrote:
The display used in Crystal Cove is an OLED IIRC.

hmm, so there must to be a good reason for reason using it vs LCD.

edit: Oh wait...iirc lightboost is owned by nvidia so it's method of turning strobing the LCD's backlighting to produce the result is patented. Perhaps using OLED is oculus's way of getting around it?

OLED doesn't use backlighting, correct? Each pixel is it's own light source?