cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVATAR 2 - James Cameron & Oculus VR

Steve3D
Honored Guest

IMO James Cameron is probably really interested about the Oculus Rift. I wouldn't be surprise that Avatar 2 would be the First film made to be awesome with the Rift....

Maybe James Cameron and Palmer Luckey already talked about it....

Imagine being a virtual Avatar on Pandora.....in Avatar 2. Having the feeling to be inside the film would be the greatest...Most immersive cinematographic experience. ...
35 REPLIES 35

Welby
Adventurer
It seems to me not so realistic this vision about Avatar 2 but would be really cool!

This is one of my dream. If the actors or the main character of the movie wear an elemet with 360° camera this can be possible. Watching a movie inside an avatar,you can't move your legs or arms but you can turn around your view.. would be AMAZING! Two different people can feel and see like two differents move. Maybe someone have watched some cool stuff and the other one some other things.. Too much cool!

Steve3D
Honored Guest
Even if we can't move our head etc. In the game it would still be exeptional...Just watching the film in perfect 3D and with the feeling of being inside would really be amazing...

Using the Oculus Rift to avertise Avatar 2 is for James Cameron an great opportunity....

Steve3D
Honored Guest

Everybody want or dream to have the best Home theater système in the world, to live the most immersive cinematographic experience possible...

No home theater systeme could equal a 3D Virtual reality film visualisation experience. Curved tv.....large tv set....glass free 3D...etc....name it all....nothing will beat watching a film in VR !

We will really feel we are in it....action film with explosions and films with awesome landscapes like Avatar 2 will be spectacular ..!

Welby
Adventurer
Really nice! If you would see something like VR theater you can check out Rift max: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1636

It's really cool and it's multiplayer!!

Steve3D
Honored Guest
"welby" wrote:
Really nice! If you would see something like VR theater you can check out Rift max: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1636

Wow. ..just like the VR cinéma 3D and even better, it really looks great and having a Personal IMAX theater at home or a Personal deluxe home theater is indeed an awesome previlege...

BUT....the ultimate and most immersive experience would be to watch a movies and have all and only the screen wraped around our vision.

It wouldn't need any head tracking feature....Only having the screen wraped around would beam us up in the movies...That is the best place to be seated to watch à movie. ..better than any other seat in any cinéma what ever how big is the screen it would even be better than à giant IMAX theater....

That is what i think James Cameron will be interested in. Let the audiences be inside his movie. ....inside Avatar 2 ...

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Here's a copy/paste of something I put on Reddit about re-releasing the original Avatar for VR.

-------------------------------------------

I thought of this in response to the 360 movie post. I personally don't think there's a big need to have a real 360 degree movie. 360x180 are great when you're looking at tourist style videos such as the ones of the helicopter or even the racecar. However, in movies I think that unless the viewer is encouraged to stand up and look around then they're really only giving a crap about the scene in front of them. This then wastes most of the time and effort in creating a 360x180 with regards to logistics of filming to reduce artifacts and film crew and equipment.

That said, I do enjoy 360 movie samples of panoramic shots like the Nimmo Bay video. Also, I've been watching a lot of 3D movies using VR Player and really love tweaking the settings to get the best mix of large viewing size and surround feeling (pretty much I do a 120x67.5 degree view of a sphere projection). I would really love it if I did not see the edges of the screen and even asked the creator of VR Player if he could create a blurry extension of the screen edge to reduce the effect.

James Cameron however can one-up that big time. He (well, his production company) can take his movie Avatar and re-release it as a 360x180 and wow everyone. The main scene is pretty much untouched. The magic is creating the surrounding panorama and blending it to the scene. The cheap way to do this is just have a non-moving panaroma similar to how animators use the same backdrop so they only need to animate the characters in the scene. The fancier way is add simple animation to reduce being taken out of immersion and ensure the panorama alters reasonably well with the main scene.

If Cameron can pull that off with a 3D movie, it leads the way for production companies to start making movies for VR partly in mind. When a company films a scene, they'll also capture a high res 3D panorama for later 360x180 adaptions. For computer generated scenes, they'll render a cheaper version of the panorama and work for blending the main scene with the panorama.

Basically, you'll be watching Lord of the Rings and can look all around Bilbo's house. If a Dwarf is supposed to be back there you might not see it but you're not taken out of the moment because you hit the black edge of the screen. However, in time more and more movies will add extra items to the panorama depending on time and cost.

---------------------------------------------

I can see James Cameron making Avatar 2 with VR capable viewing in mind. Like I said in the above, I don't think there's a need to do actual 360 degree 3D recording. Create an IMAX like experience so you have a movie that can play anywhere. However, in addition, there can be a surrounding 360 degree scene. This can be for any movie. The question is how detailed do the producers make it. Simplest is changing color tone based on the scene, instead of having all black. After that is a simple static image. After that are multiple static images that change based on the scene. After that are animated images so when you look around it seems like the location is alive. Finally, and most costly in time and money, is a fully animated surrounding where actors and locations are accounted for if they're ever in the scene anywhere in view.

Avatar would be a great experiment for this to see if it's feasible to post convert all movies into an enjoyable 360 experience. Seeing it done for real on Avatar 2 with 3D 360 in mind would be amazing though. What's cool about it is that animation studios like Disney and Pixar will have a leg up as they can create 360 experiences without the problems involved in filming. I see great times ahead for us.

bubimude
Explorer
From having experimented with Deskope, I would say head tracking is pretty important for film viewing. When you're wearing the oculus it feels very uncomfortable to be locked into one view. But, that doesn't mean the screen needs to wrap all the way around. The best compromise right now is a screen that fills your full vision when looking straight ahead (110 degrees at least), but lets you look around and see the edges if you so wish. That way you don't feel restricted, but if you want the full experience you just look straight ahead. Elective full immersion.

Steve3D
Honored Guest
the wraped around vision movie could be done but Only with movie like Avatar which is design and made with PC 3D software.

Computer designed movies are actually like PC games. If games could be done in 3D and virtual reality. ....well AVATAR 2 can be....

Maybe not the part of the movie that is filmed with real actors but when an actor goes into the Avatar/machine....well vision in the rift could snitch to wrape around and become VR.

Being a spectator but but with the feeling of being inside the movie environnent. ....would be an ultimate expérience.

Welby
Adventurer
"Steve3D" wrote:
"welby" wrote:

Wow. ..just like the VR cinéma 3D and even better, it really looks great and having a Personal IMAX theater at home or a Personal deluxe home theater is indeed an awesome previlege...

BUT....the ultimate and most immersive experience would be to watch a movies and have all and only the screen wraped around our vision.

It wouldn't need any head tracking feature....Only having the screen wraped around would beam us up in the movies...That is the best place to be seated to watch à movie. ..better than any other seat in any cinéma what ever how big is the screen it would even be better than à giant IMAX theater....

That is what i think James Cameron will be interested in. Let the audiences be inside his movie. ....inside Avatar 2 ...

The developer of Rift MAX say that probabily in future he'll add a curved screen or probabily try some experiment with curved screen on IMAX. I don't know how can be immersive to see a curved screen with oculus it seems to me like a VR Inception xD However can be really cool and i'm looking for try something like this!

I agree with "bthiem333" when he said that headtracking is also really important also in rift Imax because to see on the screen with blocked headtracking it's uncomfortable for me.

However i don't know if any of you have already tried Making Viewer-Formula 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HuVExgGFZ8 or This is a really AWESOME experience and truly immersive.

When i said a 360° degrees experience inside the movie i mean something like this. It's not really important if is 360° or 260 degrees but i want movie my head like if i'm the main character of the film!

Can you imagine to see with the eyes of the main character of the Avatar? To see with your eyes all this beatiful places like you are in there..