cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVATAR 2 - James Cameron & Oculus VR

Steve3D
Honored Guest

IMO James Cameron is probably really interested about the Oculus Rift. I wouldn't be surprise that Avatar 2 would be the First film made to be awesome with the Rift....

Maybe James Cameron and Palmer Luckey already talked about it....

Imagine being a virtual Avatar on Pandora.....in Avatar 2. Having the feeling to be inside the film would be the greatest...Most immersive cinematographic experience. ...
35 REPLIES 35

Steve3D
Honored Guest
head tracking could be use in Rift Max when the part of the movie is with real actors and real environment but when the movie goes 3D computer design images.....the Rift Max would switch to wrap around full VR vision.

In todays 3D movies, all the movie have a 3D perceptive and sometimes there is spectacular 3D effect that make us feel that object are jumping out the TV and we can feel we can almost touch them.

With future Rift Movies, we will sees p3D perspectives, the extreme 3D effects and in some parts of the film..... we will feel like we are in the movie. I think future 3D VR compatible movies will be like nothing we have seen before....

Holywood level 3....a new way to watch movies, far more immersive than todays 3D television....technology will reach one level above......CES curved TV set is nothing compare to soon Virtual reality movies with the Oculus Rift....

I am sure James Cameron will partner with Occulus VR to use and modify Rift theater softwares. Every body would want to watch AVATAR 2 with he Rift....the experience will be awesome, spectacular and exceptional...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aside from it being all in 3d and immersive, you could also probably do some pretty neat things specifically with the effect of transferring consciousnesses to and from the avatar bodies.

M1L0
Honored Guest
There was a Star Trek character who, standing at the holodeck doors, once said something in the lines of "I can't imagine watching a story in which I don't participate". Can't remember who he/she is.

squirrelmonkey
Honored Guest
Have you guys seen the demo for Microsoft's Illumi Room? It looks incredible:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qv9SdMeSEAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine something like this with a VR 'home theatre'. You could create some pretty amazing effects...

Weird how VR is making a lot of other ideas obsolete before they're even released!

Steve3D
Honored Guest
"bamousse" wrote:
Aside from it being all in 3d and immersive, you could also probably do some pretty neat things specifically with the effect of transferring consciousnesses to and from the avatar bodies.

Great idea...

With a special rift cinema software, We could be sited in our own Personal deluxe home theater like the picture in my above post or in a virtual giant IMAX 3D cinema. ...and for the special effect of transferring consciousnesses to and from the avatar bodies....we could see the image of the screen go over the screen and on the virtual cinema walls. ....Like the microsoft illumiroom that squirrelmonkey talked about.....( but virtualy in the Rift ) and it would get closer and closer....and BOOM...! We are now in the AVATAR movie at Third personnes view or First persone view. .....to continue to watch the film.....

wow....!!!! That is the 21 century way to watch a film in 3D

raidho36
Explorer
I don't think it's a good idea to drag around and instantly teleport the viewer in VR mode, let alone forcibly rotate their view, so I don't see any way 360 VR movies are making it to the release - one-point video clips, yes, but not movies. Besides, that would be completely impossible to run these movies in cinemas, and even if cinemas can arrange that, it would impose a lot of pretty much generic limitations, such as inability to drink your beverage and eat your popcorn. I also don't like the idea of having to rotate my head 360 degrees to follow the action scene. Not to mention that because stupid viewer doesn't look where you want them, they miss a lot of action and story going on.

No way. But it's a neat idea.

Steve3D
Honored Guest
@raidho36

This spectacular New way to watch movies in VR is not for real cinemas but Only to watch movies at home with the Oculus Rift.

To pass from the 3D VR cinema in the Rift to the VR mode in the Rift.....we will see the actor go into VR machine....just like in AVATAR 1.....and gradualy. ....to image in the virtual screen will go to cinema screen mode to an ilumiroom like special effect to finally suck us in and BOOM.....we are in the movie.

Same thing when we would go out...

what better place to be sit to watch à movie than being just over the actor ' s head or directelly behind the actor ' s eyes...!

That is the futur of Home theater....ultimate 3D expérience....just like if you were there....

KBK
Protege
If there is an avatar 2 film, I expect there to be an avatar 2 game. And That game might be designed from the ground up to have VR compatibility.

Considering the time needed for film development and the time needed for game development, the game would probably begin production right about now.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

raidho36
Explorer
There are planned 3 sequels to Avatar. But unless Cameron personally gets around this, I expect Avatar games be as shitty as any other movie-promotional game.

Steve3D
Honored Guest
Playing Video games and watching movies are two completely different world.

I love watching films at home. I have my own home theater with a 60" HD led TV with a blue Ray and special surrond sound system.....but even if my sofa is only 12 feet from the TV....i still dream of a spectacular 3D immersive home theater systeme.

Nothing would beat a 3D VR system with the Rift. I don't want to play the game AVATAR 2.....i want to watch AVATAR 2 with the best 3D immersive system possible...and this for a couple of hundred dollars instead of ten of thousand dollars... 😉