cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVATAR 2 - James Cameron & Oculus VR

Steve3D
Honored Guest

IMO James Cameron is probably really interested about the Oculus Rift. I wouldn't be surprise that Avatar 2 would be the First film made to be awesome with the Rift....

Maybe James Cameron and Palmer Luckey already talked about it....

Imagine being a virtual Avatar on Pandora.....in Avatar 2. Having the feeling to be inside the film would be the greatest...Most immersive cinematographic experience. ...
35 REPLIES 35

KBK
Protege
"Steve3D" wrote:
Playing Video games and watching movies is two completely different world.

I love watching films at home. I have my own home theater with a 60" HD led TV with a blue Ray and special sur rond soud system.....but even if my sofa is only 12 feet from the TV....i still dream of a spectacular 3D immersive home theater systeme.

Nothing would beat a 3D VR system with the Rift. I don't want to play the game AVATAR 2.....i want to watch AVATAR 2 with the best 3D immersive system possible.

I used to do the 12 feet from screen thing, but 10.5-11 foot diagonal screen, w/ 9" CRT +1080P theater thing all the time. It was fun. Watching films was a giant "fuck me!" experience, each time.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Steve3D
Honored Guest

An ultra large curved screen like this wouldn't be as spectacular as the VR system i explained and it would cost 20 thousand dollard. ....

Steve3D
Honored Guest
Avatar 2′ is set for release in December 2016, with ‘Avatar 3′ and ‘Avatar 4′ to come in 2017 and 2018, respectively. In 2016......The customer Oculus Rift will be release and maybe even 4K resolution so well ready to be compatible with AVATAR 2...

The new and ultimate way to watch movies is at the corner..........

bubimude
Explorer
How bout this: Until we have full panoramic films, why don't movie studios include a few VR scenes with their bluray releases as a bonus feature? I would be happy to stand in 3 or 4 different areas of Pandora, fully rendered at film quality in 360 degrees. This could be a fun extra feature until the tech for shooting in panorama is fully worked out.

Steve3D
Honored Guest
"bthiem333" wrote:
How bout this: Until we have full panoramic films, why don't movie studios include a few VR scenes with their bluray releases as a bonus feature? I would be happy to stand in 3 or 4 different areas of Pandora, fully rendered at film quality in 360 degrees. This could be a fun extra feature until the tech for shooting in panorama is fully worked out.

Great idea..!

VR bonus features on Blu-ray is the future of home theater....Oculus Rift will revolutionize the way we watch movies at home..! be able to go from a VR Giant deluxe home theater 3D to really into a 3DVR visualization of the film will be spectacular an extremely immersive....

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Am I reading most of you correct? It seems like some of you are suggestion that Avatar 2 should be a VR experience. That's VR as in able to move about the scene and everything is in real time stereoscopic 3D. I just don't see that being feasible in the short or near term. If games can't hold up a frame beyond a 8x sampled resolution then you're never going to see movies in a reasonable time frame which have samples beyond 64x iirc.

Just because there can't be a VR experience doesn't mean you can't have a great 360 stereoscopic 3D experience. Yeah, you won't be moving around the room, but you'll be able to look around. Even then, you'll mainly be looking in front where all the action and dialogue will be taking place. The big thing with 360 is finally there's no screen edge. That tips the scale toward total passive immersion. Such an experience is more than available today.

Avatar 2 can be a 360 3D experience, no doubt. The question is how detailed James Cameron will make the part of the view that's outside the normal confines of the screen. Will it be static, a rendered environment, actual motion, at lower rendering and frame rate or maybe full on rendering and live recording to match the main screen. I don't see the later except maybe for 5 to 10 minutes of show off tech, but I can see lower rendered 360 environment for all scenes to show what this experience can be like with a 2 to 3 hour movie.

Steve3D
Honored Guest
"nukemarine" wrote:
Am I reading most of you correct? It seems like some of you are suggestion that Avatar 2 should be a VR experience. That's VR as in able to move about the scene and everything is in real time stereoscopic 3D. I just don't see that being feasible in the short or near term. If games can't hold up a frame beyond a 8x sampled resolution then you're never going to see movies in a reasonable time frame which have samples beyond 64x iirc.

Just because there can't be a VR experience doesn't mean you can't have a great 360 stereoscopic 3D experience. Yeah, you won't be moving around the room, but you'll be able to look around. Even then, you'll mainly be looking in front where all the action and dialogue will be taking place. The big thing with 360 is finally there's no screen edge. That tips the scale toward total passive immersion. Such an experience is more than available today.

Avatar 2 can be a 360 3D experience, no doubt. The question is how detailed James Cameron will make the part of the view that's outside the normal confines of the screen. Will it be static, a rendered environment, actual motion, at lower rendering and frame rate or maybe full on rendering and live recording to match the main screen. I don't see the later except maybe for 5 to 10 minutes of show off tech, but I can see lower rendered 360 environment for all scenes to show what this experience can be like with a 2 to 3 hour movie.

VR in AVATAR 2 will only be for watching the movie as it is filmed by James Cameron. No head tracking feature. no interaction and control of any sort with the movie....we will only watch the movie but have the feeling of being inside it....

Isn't what all new TV and home theater is trying to sell us....the feeling of really be in the action....well VR and Oculus Rift will succeed where all failed. We will for the first time be... in the movie. AVATAR 2 will be very spectacular and amazing in VR.

bubimude
Explorer
To clarify, what I was discussing wasn't showing the movie in 360, or even being able to walk around. I've been working on a rig that basically takes a huge array of stereo cameras and splices them all together within a 3d application, allowing you to then render 1 big panoramic stereoscopic animation. Once this animation is reprojected into a gameplay scene, you would basically have a 360 degree moving panorama, rendered with the full quality of cinematic CG. Technically if they chose too, James Cameron's team could drop such a camera rig into their 3d scenes, and render out these panoramas as an extra feature. This would be sort of a virtual tourism feature, but if done correctly it could be great to be "dropped" into these fictional worlds.

Steve3D
Honored Guest
"bthiem333" wrote:
To clarify, what I was discussing wasn't showing the movie in 360, or even being able to walk around. I've been working on a rig that basically takes a huge array of stereo cameras and splices them all together within a 3d application, allowing you to then render 1 big panoramic stereoscopic animation. Once this animation is reprojected into a gameplay scene, you would basically have a 360 degree moving panorama, rendered with the full quality of cinematic CG. Technically if they chose too, James Cameron's team could drop such a camera rig into their 3d scenes, and render out these panoramas as an extra feature. This would be sort of a virtual tourism feature, but if done correctly it could be great to be "dropped" into these fictional worlds.

That would really be awesome....but for beginning...only be able to watch movies in VR would be fantastic and panoramas extra feature cool if it's ready.....if not....AVATAR 3...! 😉

The Avatar sequels are set to begin production in 2014. Avatar 2 is scheduled for release in December 2016, Avatar 3 in December 2017, and Avatar 4 lastly in December 2018.

http://screenrant.com/avatar-2-3-4-sequels-2016-2017-2018/

cybereality
Grand Champion
I hope they don't kill this awesome movie with lame sequels.

Could be cool, but could also be a cash grab.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV