cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Flight Demo, Fly through an endless asteroid field

Hlao
Explorer
This project has sort of grown organically as I have been trying and learning new things. while I will probably continue to work on it, I think it's at a point where I am happy to share it now.

I'm just calling it Space Flight VR because I didn't really know what else to call it, up till now I've just been calling it space sim.

default controls for gamepad are

pitch/roll: left stick
yaw: right stick
throttle up/down: trigger buttons
boost: r button (you will go faster but there isn't any indication other than the speed display)
reset Oculus rift forward direction: y

Default Controls for Keyboard are

pitch: s/w
roll: a/d
yaw: q/e

Throttle up: r
Throttle down:f

Boost: Left Shift

Reset Oculus Rift forward direction: space

note: If the gamepad throttle isn't working, I recommend mapping the keyboard throttle controls to some buttons buttons on your gamepad. Controls can be remapped in the Input tab on the launcher.

your space ship will attempt to correct for sideways drift, you can see how it's applying forces by looking at the display on the right.

right now top speed is limited using a drag like mechanic applied only in the forward direction, while this isn't ideal other methods may alter the way the ship flies in subtle ways and I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

A couple of little issues: the space dust is a little weird, implementing it properly is made a little trickier due to the floating origin system I'm using I put this in to see what it might look like.

there is still an issue with the shader on the asteroids which makes the colours look a little dull. I had never written a shader until i made this so bear with me please.

the asteroids are from the asset store
skybox is thanks to Space Engine http://en.spaceengine.org/

Couple of minor Updates

Improved loading times
Added keyboard support

You can download this demo here

https://mega.co.nz/#!qdtWATRR!skMomCf4g7dTfRfgDQF7eMY4K1S8q5ijl2t2A31zWUI

Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

rupy
Honored Guest
"Hlao" wrote:
"rupy" wrote:
I'm also making YASS, but mine will be MMO!

Your game launched, then the window froze, then it unfroze and there was the trial thing and sound but otherwise black screen...

The game takes a little while to load, and when it does the screen will fade in from black, during this time you can see the trial message and hear sound. The fade in should only take a couple of seconds.

What kind of specs does the machine you are running it on have?

It's a HD4600 I think, latest generation Intel integrated.
"It's like Homeworld in first person." Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS. Keep the config utility open for tracking to work.

zwickarr
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
Wow, I've barely seen any demo do that. Didn't realize it was a problem for some people. 😕

Its not a problem Drash. its a convenience. not having to make a folder 1st and dragging the exe and data folder is one less thing for me to do. im lazy 😉

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
"zwickarr" wrote:
"drash" wrote:
Wow, I've barely seen any demo do that. Didn't realize it was a problem for some people. 😕

Its not a problem Drash. its a convenience. not having to make a folder 1st and dragging the exe and data folder is one less thing for me to do. im lazy 😉

That's not lazy, that's to be expected. The lazy ones are the 'devs' who just lazily make the executable root folder into the .zip and upload that. I have so many demos that I just start deleting the ones that make me create and name a folder for them 😆
-- -- --

mrboggieman
Honored Guest
Wow, nice demo, feels great inside the cockpit whilst sitting on a chair. The best bit for me was taking off and flying near the other space craft. The sense of immersion is great and I think space games work better to combat the screen door effect with the first devel kit.

I am not sure that skyboxes work that well with the oculus as they do not exhibit stereo depth so maybe having actual geometry for the far away planet and stars may work better. Nice demo overall.

silentdriver
Honored Guest
so sad. the demo won't start on my pc. any idea how to let it finally start? my specs: windows 7 Prof./64bit - German, 4gigs of RAM, AMD/ATI HD4980 with up-to-date drivers there; that's the first Unity-Demo that won't start here - since then everything worked right out of the box.

one thing to add: when I force the demo to quit it starts - right before quitting - some sounds from the demo. but nothing more.

FictionX
Honored Guest
"DillonRobinson" wrote:
"zwickarr" wrote:
"drash" wrote:

That's not lazy, that's to be expected. The lazy ones are the 'devs' who just lazily make the executable root folder into the .zip and upload that. I have so many demos that I just start deleting the ones that make me create and name a folder for them 😆

What do you guys use for extracting?? With both WinZip and WinRar (and Archiver in Linux) it's just "right-click/extract to <name of archive>" instead of "right-click/extract here"?!

drash
Heroic Explorer
"silentdriver" wrote:
so sad. the demo won't start on my pc. any idea how to let it finally start? my specs: windows 7 Prof./64bit - German, 4gigs of RAM, AMD/ATI HD4980 with up-to-date drivers there; that's the first Unity-Demo that won't start here - since then everything worked right out of the box.

one thing to add: when I force the demo to quit it starts - right before quitting - some sounds from the demo. but nothing more.

I almost thought it was broken for me too, but it just seems to require some time to start up. On my decent PC there is about 5 or so seconds of nothing before anything happens.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

sephirenn
Honored Guest
This is pretty great! I noticed that it seems like the cross-hairs look weird when then are on top of the other ship that's flying around. That may just be me though.

All it needs is a little music like Delta Draconis!

DillonRobinson
Honored Guest
"FictionX" wrote:

What do you guys use for extracting?? With both WinZip and WinRar (and Archiver in Linux) it's just "right-click/extract to <name of archive>" instead of "right-click/extract here"?!

I use WinRAR...I'm just too lazy to right click --> (context option) when I have the option to just drag one folder to another right out of the ZIP. Then again, I do download hundreds of demos and so try to do everything very quickly with minimal effort. I'm sure most people don't really mind.
-- -- --

Hlao
Explorer
Yeah, It does take a little while to load. Most of the load time is due to a few procedural textures being generated. In future I'll probably just pre-bake these.

"sephirenn" wrote:
This is pretty great! I noticed that it seems like the cross-hairs look weird when then are on top of the other ship that's flying around. That may just be me though.

All it needs is a little music like Delta Draconis!

the cross-hairs are focused at a point about 2km away. It can look a little weird when it's on top of things that are close, but it stops your eyes having to re focus between looking at the hud and what you are aiming at.