cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Flight Demo, Fly through an endless asteroid field

Hlao
Explorer
This project has sort of grown organically as I have been trying and learning new things. while I will probably continue to work on it, I think it's at a point where I am happy to share it now.

I'm just calling it Space Flight VR because I didn't really know what else to call it, up till now I've just been calling it space sim.

default controls for gamepad are

pitch/roll: left stick
yaw: right stick
throttle up/down: trigger buttons
boost: r button (you will go faster but there isn't any indication other than the speed display)
reset Oculus rift forward direction: y

Default Controls for Keyboard are

pitch: s/w
roll: a/d
yaw: q/e

Throttle up: r
Throttle down:f

Boost: Left Shift

Reset Oculus Rift forward direction: space

note: If the gamepad throttle isn't working, I recommend mapping the keyboard throttle controls to some buttons buttons on your gamepad. Controls can be remapped in the Input tab on the launcher.

your space ship will attempt to correct for sideways drift, you can see how it's applying forces by looking at the display on the right.

right now top speed is limited using a drag like mechanic applied only in the forward direction, while this isn't ideal other methods may alter the way the ship flies in subtle ways and I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

A couple of little issues: the space dust is a little weird, implementing it properly is made a little trickier due to the floating origin system I'm using I put this in to see what it might look like.

there is still an issue with the shader on the asteroids which makes the colours look a little dull. I had never written a shader until i made this so bear with me please.

the asteroids are from the asset store
skybox is thanks to Space Engine http://en.spaceengine.org/

Couple of minor Updates

Improved loading times
Added keyboard support

You can download this demo here

https://mega.co.nz/#!qdtWATRR!skMomCf4g7dTfRfgDQF7eMY4K1S8q5ijl2t2A31zWUI

Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

Leonard_Powers
Explorer
Great Demo and thank you for directional Audio.
Turning your head and hearing the engines is a very nice touch that really adds to the immersion
DK1 | DK2 | GearVR | CV1 Pre-Ordered "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

kalorvoe
Honored Guest
"Space Flight demo"? I've forgotten the name already.

If I were you I'd call it "3,720 to 1" 😄
Location: Sydney OR Status: 19th Oct: Ordered 19th Nov: Advancing to Processing within 24 hours 20th Nov: Processing 22nd Nov: UNEXPECTED PACKAGE! 22nd Nov: "BTW, we shipped it" email. :) My Status: Nervous Rift virgin.

Hlao
Explorer
"kalorvoe" wrote:
"Space Flight demo"? I've forgotten the name already.

If I were you I'd call it "3,720 to 1" 😄

Wow, that's actually a really good name.

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
I like this. The control scheme and flight mechanics are spot on - It's a really comfortable ship to fly around in. It's fun to fly in close and do inverted orbits around the asteroids. 🙂
It's amazing how something so simple as this is so great in the rift. I slowed down and spent the better part of an hour just drifting with the asteroids and looking around, it was really relaxing. Thanks for sharing.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

jknick
Honored Guest
This is great. The cockpit detail is pretty and scaled just right. I love having the tight canopy overhead. The little details like the nice textures on the side walls and little lights are awesome and add a lot to the immersion. The HUD size and distance is just how it should be. I played some of that Strike Suit Zero and while fun, the HUD is just infuriating. They draw it right up close to the user's face and it's just disorienting. Especially when there's a lot going on. Setting the reticle off in the distance is completely comfortable. I'd totally worry about an avatar much later on. The more important part, the flight mechanic, is really pretty great. Floaty, but not too floaty. It's tight enough to make for a good dogfighter. Roll and yaw split the way they are is really the way to go. Roll on the left joystick is actually how the Eve: Valkyrie setup is, and really this feels a lot like that flight model. Which is to say awesome. I love it and want so much more and just cruising around and toying with the wingman is fun in and of itself. Please tell me you'll keep this one up, because all of the other space flight sims have fallen flat for me. (Except SpaceWar. I think that one has a very unique and fun flight model going on as well.) Awesome!

Anonymous
Not applicable
"jknick" wrote:
Roll and yaw split the way they are is really the way to go.

Doesn't anyone here fly RC planes? The setup for a RC plane (in the US) is rudder and throttle on the left stick, aileron and elevator on the right stick. I feel like my RC skills are getting all tangled up when forced into a specific control scheme. Though I appreciate these are all just demos.

This is a really cool demo though! I had a lot of fun flying formation with the other ship! I'd give you 100 bucks if you could stick a Galactica model and a Base Star in there 🙂

Also, that Eve demo. Not ONE review I saw mentioned that that's how vipers are launched out of Galactica. Not one geek was like 'OMG I'm in a Viper launch tube!'

Talon1

Hlao
Explorer
"Talon1" wrote:

Doesn't anyone here fly RC planes? The setup for a RC plane (in the US) is rudder and throttle on the left stick, aileron and elevator on the right stick. I feel like my RC skills are getting all tangled up when forced into a specific control scheme. Though I appreciate these are all just demos.

Talon1

You can change how the axes are set up in the launcher. The defaults are just what I'm used to.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh cool. I'll have to check that out when I get home. Thanks!

Natemo
Honored Guest
"Hadtstec" wrote:
Great Demo and thank you for directional Audio.
Turning your head and hearing the engines is a very nice touch that really adds to the immersion

awesome I love to hear this , no pun intended . I said it before that game audio is always overlooked.
I cant wait to try this Friday when I get my rift. I just don't want to die before I try the rift lol !