cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose adjustment knob

Misguided
Honored Guest
So I just got my rift and have been playing with it a little (mostly holding myself back from vomiting).

One thing that I noticed was that one of my adjustment knobs (specifically the left one) is extremely loose. So loose that there isn't much of a click as I turn it. The other one feels fine.

What this means is that if I bump the front left of the headset, it pulls/pushes that side of the screen in out. And because it's so loose, a slight bump is all that's needed.

Anyone else encountered the same issue? Was hoping someone had a simple fix that I could apply before I pull it apart to inspect the mechanism.
4 REPLIES 4

Korda
Honored Guest
I haven't got my Rift so I can't help you too much but I thought I would direct you to this youtube video where they take apart a Rift in case you havent seen it yet. http://www.youtube.com/embed/oJ9w2ihEHxQ
It looks like the mechanism is quite primitive so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I did have this problem on my first Rift. Never really found a solution, but maybe there is an easy fix.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Misguided
Honored Guest
Thanks for the video Korda (omg, so much dust on the screen! 😄 ).
I'll give it a go when I get home.

Misguided
Honored Guest
I finally got round to looking into this problem. In my case it was an assembly defect. The adjustment knob on the left (bad side) was missing a washer under the C-clip. This meant that the bracket was loose and wasn't pushing the indexed wheel (gear + disc with holes) against the pin that snaps it into place.

Bad side

Good side

The Fix
I didn't have the right thickness washer available so I just cut a piece of plastic to size and and placed it under the c-clip. The alignment is off by about 1 or 2 teeth, but it's good enough for now. I couldn't be bothered fixing that at the moment as it was a bit of a pain to remove the C-clip without the right tool.