cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OculusRiftReady - Marketing Logo

ThomasH
Explorer
Hi,

I am quite new to this and I am using unity to develop a car experience. We are currently researching implimentation for VR use. I might have missed this but what logo would I use for marketing, showing that my product is "rift-ready"? When or if it is.

I was wondering where that logo is and how the software has to be approved to be rift ready, If at all?

Thanks,
Thomas
26 REPLIES 26

zalo
Explorer
This is the highest res Oculus Logo I've found:

The font most closely resembles "Slate" (Std Medium/Pro Medium) or "ZionTrain" (Pro Demibold/Cyrillic Demibold).

Make your own! (And ask Oculus if it's okay!)

ThomasH
Explorer
Thank you!

I do belive there would be need for an official "oculusReady" logo for a symbiotic partnership though. Would be a blur for the users otherwise?

EisernSchild
Explorer
This is exactly what i thought about we definately need sooner or later.

There should be an official "Requires Oculus Rift HMD" and an official "Better with Oculus Rift HMD" Logo (or call it Sticker).

We could do some sort of a design contest about that in the developers communtiy. This would also include an official Oculus Rift Font and other Artwork related to the Rift.

ThomasH
Explorer
I agree it would be a good thing both for developers and Oculus to have a common sign or a logo of some sort. Even if in my personal case it wouldnt be a big deal - But to show one is supporting new tech is good.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is a good idea. I will see if we can whip something up.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ThomasH
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
This is a good idea. I will see if we can whip something up.

Sounds great!

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
You might need more than one logo. Like how MTBS3D has different levels of 3D support.

For example, right now you can play my version of Doom 3 BFG on the Oculus Rift. It has proper 3D rendering, a laser sight, head tracking, and now even head tracking in cutscenes. But it still isn't proper Oculus Rift support, and it's really hard to set it up to use the Rift. It doesn't have a head and neck model, you can't see yourself when you look down, parts of the menus and HUD are off the screen, the PDA just goes full screen and looks terrible, the mouse still controls pitch so looking forwards could have you looking up or down in the game, the head tracking in cutscenes isn't quite right, there are still head kicks, there are effects that (allegedly) only show in one eye, and the gun is basically glued to your head. And it doesn't read the display parameters from the Rift itself, so it might not work right on future Rift versions. And that's not even mentioning the Doom 1 and Doom 2 parts of the game.

So, what requirements/features should an OculusRiftReady game have? Should there be more than one level of support?

I've been thinking a bit about what kinds of levels are possible. We may not want a certification level for all of them, but here are the possible levels of support that might exist:

Absolute minimum:
Obviously, to be playable at all, a game needs some sort of warping and side by side, even if not 3D, and the GUI needs to be visible and working, with the mouse behaving properly. Some programs can get away with no warping, but side by side, like the original spherical desktop program, or watching 3D movies in windows media player.

More reasonable minimum:
Either proper Oculus Rift Stereoscopic 3D without head tracking, or 3DOF head tracking and 2D warping.

Basic support:
Can be made to work in Stereoscopic 3D, with head tracking.

etc., with other levels of support up to...

Full support:
Detects Oculus Rift and supports it automatically, without the need to change any settings.
Reads and uses display parameters from the Oculus Rift.
Life size, geometrically accurate, stereoscopic 3D rendering, with everything at the correct scale.
Shadows, lighting, etc are rendered correctly with no stereoscopic flaws.
Everything is a 3D head-tracked world from beginning to end, with no 2D screens.
Head tracking (with at least support for 1:1, 360 degree head rotation tracking, with pitch and roll always matching the real world).
Head and neck rotation model (unless there's positional tracking).
Independent gun or hand control.
Can run at 60Hz with minimal latency on target hardware.
HUD looks and works OK and isn't too intrusive, if present.
Aiming works OK (not with a 2D cross-hair).
Supports at least stereo headphones for sound, with correct head tracking.
Anything that needs to be read is readable somehow.
No unpleasant forced camera movements.
Doesn't make you sick unless it's intended to (eg. a rollercoaster), or you are very susceptible to motion sickness.

Anything else?

Note that some of those might be impossible with UDK or some other closed-source engines, since they have 2D loading screens with no head tracking.

jwilkins
Explorer
Honestly what you describe about Doom 3 is not acceptable. Having different levels is just a cope out. Either everything works in a reasonable way or you go back to the drawing board and fix it.
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"jwilkins" wrote:
Honestly what you describe about Doom 3 is not acceptable. Having different levels is just a cope out. Either everything works in a reasonable way or you go back to the drawing board and fix it.

I fixed it so you can look down and see your body now. The other features will take time.