New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Shipping no longer delayed? + First Impressions!

Comments

• MrKaruMrKaru Posts: 315 Poster of the Week
    Lucky guys, mines still not here.
    Actually managed to hurt my back I've got up to walk to the window so many times :(
  • MrKaru wrote:
    Lucky guys, mines still not here.
    Actually managed to hurt my back I've got up to walk to the window so many times :(
    i was sitting by the window all morning :D I only managed to finish the first part of the configuration, which was calibrating the thing, i had to do it three times because i kept getting an error saying "not enough magnetic (something)", the trick was to hold it in the same place (forehead) and doing 360s with it in all directions without actually moving the thing, the second part i believe was for testing the lenses (for people with eye sight problems, like me).
    PS. reset your resolution to its original value before starting any of this (you'll understand when you plug it in), would've saved me some time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqgr4XCjpzk
    If anyone else has any troubles with setting up, just watch this video.
    I've watched it 3 times while waiting lol
  • HAWKEYE481HAWKEYE481 Posts: 759
    Brain Burst
    WOW......!!!!!

Was so worth the wait!!! I felt "Presence" the minute I put it on, I didn't even have any sound!

I went to "Blocked In" and straight away it was like I was somewhere else my frame rate was all over the place but the general feeling was unbelievable!

was sort of everything I expected and a bit more, the screen door effect "SDE" is apparent but it's worse on certain demos more than others but it's nowhere near as bad as what some people have made out, well not for me anyway!

Was really weird when I put my hand up in front of my face and couldn't see it but for some reason these things didn't break the "Presence" which I thought they would. I reckon my new PC will deal with the frame rate, I'm using it with a fairly powerful laptop anyway just not top end.

So far I've tried

• Blocked In
    • VR Cinema 3D (With Avatar 3D)
    Was a great experience and "Presence in the Cinema is actually outstanding although I still had issues with the film itself, however the 3D is out of this world!

I also tried Avatar 3D through windows media player on it's own and I swear its actually like you are in the film.

That's about as far as I've got so far, there's obviously all the little technical problems that come with the Dev kit but they are a minor compared to the experience!

A massive Well done!

To Palmer Luckey and the Oculus Team, can't wait for the consumer product.
    "Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination"

Intelligent-Visuals

http://www.ivvr.uk
    http://www.intelligent-visuals.com
    https://www.facebook.com/intelligentvisuals
    Brain Burst
    WOW......!!!!!

Was so worth the wait!!! I felt "Presence" the minute I put it on, I didn't even have any sound!

I went to "Blocked In" and straight away it was like I was somewhere else my frame rate was all over the place but the general feeling was unbelievable!

was sort of everything I expected and a bit more, the screen door effect "SDE" is apparent but it's worse on certain demos more than others but it's nowhere near as bad as what some people have made out, well not for me anyway!

Was really weird when I put my hand up in front of my face and couldn't see it but for some reason these things didn't break the "Presence" which I thought they would. I reckon my new PC will deal with the frame rate, I'm using it with a fairly powerful laptop anyway just not top end.

So far I've tried

• Blocked In
    Was a great experience and "Presence in the Cinema is actually outstanding although I still had issues with the film itself, however the 3D is out of this world!

I also tried Avatar 3D through windows media player on it's own and I swear its actually like you are in the film, also tried

• Titans of Space

This is one great day for someone who dreamt of this sort of thing when I was kid, can't wait to show my Son he's going to love it

That's about as far as I've got so far, there's obviously all the little technical problems that come with the Dev kit but they are a minor compared to the experience!

A massive Well done!

"Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination"

Intelligent-Visuals

HAWKEYE481 wrote:
    WOW......!!!!!

So far I've tried

• Blocked In

I also tried Avatar 3D through windows media player on it's own and I swear its actually like you are in the film, also tried

• Titans of Space

This is one great day for someone who dreamt of this sort of thing when I was kid, can't wait to show my Son he's going to love it

A massive Well done!

Way to make my wait that little bit harder :lol:

Glad you're impressed, I can't wait to try out the Cinema and the Kokiri Forest Demo, then try a bit of Halo CE just to see what that's like.

Got loads of other demo's to try, too, so hopefully it'll come soon and I can recommend a few :D
    Brain Burst
    Before you get it don't think like crystal clear graphics, just think more about the general experience and "Presence" and promise it will blow you away the little things that bother you just remember it's a Dev-Kit and that hopefully we've not too long to wait for the DK2/CV1 I might actually just wait for the consumer product while I have this.

Intelligent-Visuals

• betavrbetavr Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    man, im so envy of you :lol:

mine is scheduled for thursday :(
    betavr wrote:
    man, im so envy of you :lol:

mine is scheduled for thursday :(
    Damn that sucks.

HAWKEYE481 wrote:
    Before you get it don't think like crystal clear graphics, just think more about the general experience and "Presence" and promise it will blow you away the little things that bother you just remember it's a Dev-Kit and that hopefully we've not too long to wait for the DK2/CV1 I might actually just wait for the consumer product while I have this.
    Yeah, I know. but its seing games from a perspective you never see them from, so thats why it interests me so much. The amount i hear about scale and size when seeing through the OR. :D

And yeah, I'm skipping DK2 and anything else until the consumer. DK1 should keep me satisfied until then :lol:

I'm getting more and more certain mine will come at 5:59pm or something. Hate waiting for deliveries, every little noise makes me jump to my window
  • OH MY HOLY GOD !!!!! I knew it was good, but this is too fucking amazing :o
    You guys are torturous. :cry:
    3:15, still not here. Only 2 and a half hours left of the delivery day...

Where are you, Rift?

Also, you guys decided to decorate yours yet?
    Eyes and such, I've seen quite a few people add Googly eyes and printed-out eyes to the front for a bit of fun :lol:
  • lavojustlavojust Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Yessss, today is the day!!!

Yesterday I bought Eruo Truck Sim 2 mainly to play with the oculus....ended up playing like 3 hours with just the mouse and keyboard, couldnt stop playing, this game is very good, I cant wait to play with the Oculus. ;)

Oh, and I also have Hydras in the mail , found one almost new, on the other side of the planet for 170$. All others I had found so far were 400$+ !! On Sixense they had one at 300$ but wouldnt ship to Canada :roll:
    IT CAME!
    Setting up now, although I will say it's been hell so far.
    Had to set up for dual monitor set-up, trying to duplicate my main monitor while leaving my second monitor independent
  • RavereRavere Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    The wait is killing me, keep checking the window every time I hear the sound of a Vehicle come down my road..
    Downloading loads of demos right now ;)

Just got my invite for an Oculus Meetup in London tomorrow :D
    Brain Burst
    :D Enjoy get ready to be blown away! :D

Forgot to say make sure you check out "Titans of Space" it really has been done very well and the sense of scale is second to none!

Intelligent-Visuals

Brain Burst
    IT'S COME! :D
    Really do love the box, you can tell a lot of thought and care went into this.

Setting it up now and downloading titans ;)
    So..
    It's definitely amazing. However, My motion sickness is all over the place with this.
    :(
    I knew it would be, I just have to go into it slowly. Really just wanna hook up my steering wheel and get into Eurotruck simulator, but after trying out several demo's I feel pretty woozy.
    Made my Girlfriend try it too, she loves it.

So far, best thing I've experienced is definitely the Light Models Demo, which is genuinely nothing but a few 3D people, some nude and some not. The detail in the body is amazing and they look so real at times it made me look away in embaressment for staring at them :oops:

Other than that, the Ocarina of time Kokiri forest is amazing. Jumping down from Links house at the start actually made me pause before jumping, because it felt so weird just walking off of the edge like you usually would. ALso, seeing the Great Deku Tree in the Rift really makes him seem huge. I never thought of him as a giant tree, which is odd since that's exactly what he is.
    Brain Burst
    I never got any motion sickness at all I don't really suffer from it luckily enough, the closet I came though was while watching Avatar 3D through Windows media centre the whole film is like one big simulator and makes you feel like you're on a ride!

Intelligent-Visuals

• Motion sickness confirmed, after 2 hours of minecraft that is, i guess i deserve it for not following instructions
    k0re919 wrote:
    Motion sickness confirmed, after 2 hours of minecraft that is, i guess i deserve it for not following instructions
    minecraft is what started it for me. after only a few minutes though.
    Then again, I was chasing a chicken quite recklessly, so i guess i deserve that lol.

really hope i can build a tolerance to it soon, when im not feeling woozy it really is amazing :D
  • anyone thinking of buying extra software, i love the fact that vireio is free but it simply doesn't compare in the games list. I'll give tridef a try (14 day trial) and see if its worth the 24 pounds
    k0re919 wrote:
    anyone thinking of buying extra software, i love the fact that vireio is free but it simply doesn't compare in the games list. I'll give tridef a try (14 day trial) and see if its worth the 24 pounds
    I'm using tridef at the moment..
    Considering the motion sickness I'm getting, I don't think its worth it for me. When a game isn't made for the rift, it seems to make it much harder for me to play without getting instantly woozy. Skyrim and a few others in tridef I couldn't even take a few steps forward.

Maybe after I get over the sickness it'll be worth it, but once my trial runs out, I don't think I'll be too sad to see it go, from what I saw of skyrim it was pretty weird. It looked fake 3D, if that makes sense. Certain things popped out more than others and it gave it a fake hollywood-style to it.
    I also tried Halo CE in it... That was horrible. One eye was out of the map while the other was solidly in the map. Felt more like I was a giant head too big for the area than being a Spartan :lol:

Of course, all of that's probably due to my own ineptitude, I know Halo CE take a lot of work and Skyrim has some issues with flat objects at the moment.

Other than Vireio, I don't know what other 3D drivers are available lol

Also I have to tell you guys to try this.
    The Cave

By far one of the prettiest VR demo's I've seen. The Holographic display... It's by far the most " :o " thing I've seen in the Rift yet.
    EDIT: To Clarify, I mean this Cave
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0b66errssl3tcg/TheCave1.0.zip
    Not the Rift Cave that's on these forums.

It's short, but as I'm sure we're all beginning to understand, when it comes to VR it isn't the length or even the objective of a game that can make it mind-blowing in the Oculus. Some will look at a Minecraft block and feel overwhelmed while others will need to see Skyrim completely optimised before they feel their first real sense of presence.
  • have you tried team fortress 2/half life 2 ? the official oculus support is simply amazing
    k0re919 wrote:
    have you tried team fortress 2/half life 2 ? the official oculus support is simply amazing
    I'm too scared at the moment. Heard so much about the motion sickness in those games, and lets face it, since I'm getting motion sick with things like VR Cinema and Tuscani, it's gonna be a while before i can try those confidentally lol

Although I have to say, I just spent about 15 minutes playing TimeRifters.. Oh my god is that game good for the Rift. You guys have to try it, even with my motion sickness it barely phased me somehow, and I spent at least half of it laughing because I was just so shocked :lol:

I admit, at first I was a bit disappointed. I knew about the motion sickness, but hoped I was part of the lucky 75% that only got it rarely, after long use. But I know this thing is worth pushing through, I haven't felt this way about gaming since I got my first N64 (First console I didn't have to share with my brother) :D

EDIT
    Spent an hour exploring Tuscani, with moderate breaks for fresh air, and found that talking to myself, silly as it may sound, actually seems to help the motion sickness a little. keeps me from thinking too hard about how im not actually moving if I'm just mindlessly thinking out loud :D

Eyes definitely feel a bit wonky now though, so I think I'm done experimenting for the night. Tomorrow I'll try some more and see if I can't build up this tolerance sooner than later.

All in all, very please with my Oculus :D

Also, one last thing to note. I mentioned before that I paly with dual monitors.. That causes an issue. For some reason, a lot of Unity game's don't lock the cursor, even in fullscreen mode. So if I'm playing a game, and click without realising I'm no longer in the window, the game tabs to whatever I've clicked on my other monitor..
    This seems to be a solely unity-based problem. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this to lock my cursor in the game window only?
  • its true, tf2 causes motion sickness alot faster than minecraft/skyrim, especially if you go with a class that moves alot. I also tried the cave, WTH !!!!, really wish games had the same graphics. My eyes are feeling weird too, its like im seeing life through the rift
    Edit: for the monitors, is it still connected while using the rift, i only have one hdmi slot so i can only use one, the monitors (laptop + monitor) are extended on 1920x1080 each, the rift is duplicated on 1280x800, so technically its only one screen
    k0re919 wrote:
    its true, tf2 causes motion sickness alot faster than minecraft/skyrim, especially if you go with a class that moves alot. I also tried the cave, WTH !!!!, really wish games had the same graphics. My eyes are feeling weird too, its like im seeing life through the rift
    Edit: for the monitors, is it still connected while using the rift, i only have one hdmi slot so i can only use one, the monitors (laptop + monitor) are extended on 1920x1080 each, the rift is duplicated on 1280x800, so technically its only one screen
    Yeah, I know that feeling. Its hard to put into words but it feels like I'm still looking through the rift at real life lol

And yeah, both monitors connected plus the Rift.
    I have two monitors through DVI, and the Rift through HDMI, and it all works great, I have the Rift just duplicate my main monitor so it's the same as if I didn't have the second when playing games on it.

The way it usually works is when you launch a game, as long as you're aiming or something that doesn't involve the cursor, the cursor is either stuck to the center of the screen and made invisible, or is locked in the border of the game window, so no matter how far to one side I move it, clicking is always in the game window and not elsewhere.
    Unity, or at least most of the unity-based demo's i've tried, allows free cursor movement while the game window is active. So lets say I turn all the way to the left with my mouse and then fire or something, the game things I've tabbed out.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm sure there's a way to edit the unity files somehow to enable cursor locking. Just thought I'd ask here before making a new thread about it in Oculus General lol
    Brain Burst
    Well I've spent a good 5 hours on the rift now - the good news I don't feel sick at all. A little out of it though - like being drunk.

Pretty easy to set up the rift - thanks to all the information that has been written on this forum, the biggest issue was having to clean the lenses and screen (how did anything get in there?)

I started with The introduction to the rift, really nice program - pity I screwed up the headtracking by having the config open^^ After sorting that out it was on to titans of space which was excellent, after getting used to the display I really got into it, the scale was great and very effective. Then loads of demo'ing. My brother thought the intro to the rift was official :) My sister screamed in the chicken game and then tried out about 4 more demos before she had to go - She really loved it.

So I got back into the rift.
    Utterly loved the cave holograms - really amazing stuff I want more!
    Riftmax was very cool, esp with the 4D effects.
    VRCinema was really great to use - After downloading the codex (actually had to force myself to stop watching How to train your dragon)
    Timerifters - extremely fun game - I now found my perfect clan ;) Ended up spending at least 40 mins on it!
    Tried VRplayer with some experimental videos - very effective.
    By this time it was very late at night, I was in a dark room alone - It was time for Dreadhalls! I didn't scream. That wasn't a scream it was a roar in the face of danger. You simply got to play it.

Finally I went on Secondlife as I heard it had a Rift browser, which kind of works if you don't want to chat and you change your main rez to 1280x800, things are not always to scale but up close most things look solid - a very interesting experience.

So overall. I felt moments of presence -spellbinding, however the low rez was very visible in some games with long draw distances. In Dreadhalls I didn't notice anything apart from my heartbeat pounding. In timerifters all I knew was the game - and it was a really cool feeling.

Very glad I got the DK1, I can tell from this taste of Virtual Reality that CV1 is going to be truly amazing.

Oh yeah one last thing - Now I really want a Hydra :D
  • Ravere wrote:
    the biggest issue was having to clean the lenses and screen (how did anything get in there?)
    yup, i had to takeout the lenses three times because there were dust particles on the screen
    k0re919 wrote:
    Ravere wrote:
    the biggest issue was having to clean the lenses and screen (how did anything get in there?)
    yup, i had to takeout the lenses three times because there were dust particles on the screen
    Same, also because of Fogging. Fixed that easily enough though, just put a bit of thin clothe in there, under the lenses but over the nose gap, not more fogging.

Still little bits of dust though, not sure how best to deal with that. My room can get quite dusty at times..
    Brain Burst
    I spent a good few hours in the Rift as well yesterday!

Although I think that VR Cinema is amazing I actually watched the whole of Avatar 3D in SbS through windows media player, as the file seems to run the best quality through there. But It wasn't just the quality tbh the experience was better than IMAX!

Ok there's a few times when things seems a bit big! But having said that I really think this is the way forward for films, I lost count of how many times I felt "Presence" It was almost as if Avatar had been made for VR!

My reasons for claiming it was better than IMAX, if we forget the SDE for a minute

1. On an Emotional level there is far more deeper connection feeling like you're actually there, you have to try this

2. Presence, I actually lost count of the amount of times I felt "Presence" with Cockpit flights, swooping cameras, people getting in your face, Torches be shone directly in your eyes, War Scenes

3. Some of the AR effects are brilliant

It really does feel like it was made VR, I advise everyone with a Rift to watch it this way it really is a great experience

Intelligent-Visuals