cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What went into the Tuscany demo?

sqh
Honored Guest
I'm interested in learning what went into the Tuscany demo. I have questions like:
+ How many people worked on it?
+ How much time went into it?
+ Are the textures photographs or digital paintings?
+ How much code (outside of the actual Rift SDK) was written in C# or JS in Unity?
+ How much of what went into it are purchased resources (IE stock photography, models, textures..etc) versus original?

The general thrust of my interest is that I want to know how realistic it is for a single artist/developer to aspire to make experiences like that? Obviously it represents a high degree of mastery of whatever skills went into making it, but if it also represents the work of 20 people over 6 months, then...?
4 REPLIES 4

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
This demo was saddled by Brian McRae and developed with the help of other employees at his indie game company, Fenix Fire. They have a short description of the development process on their blog. If you e-mail them, they might offer more information.

http://fenixfire.com/fenix-fire-creates-tuscany-world-demo-for-oculus-rift/

kamau00
Explorer
I don't think that demo would take very long to make once you understood the tools. I'm guessing I could reproduce it using blender & UDK in a couple of dedicated weeks (80 hours or so). I've only been doing blender/UDK on weekends/late-nights for 9 months. Maybe I'll try that once I finish my current Ready Player One project.

cybereality
Grand Champion
With the proper talent, I think one person could make something comparable to Tuscany. How long that would take, I don't know. But it's certainly possible.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Itsinthemind
Expert Protege
From a modelling point of view it would probably take me a couple of days using some stuff from my repository, textures etc. Putting it together in Unity perhaps another day or so, because it is only a small patch.
http://www.lightandmagic.co.uk Fantasy becomes Reality