cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[NEW beta released 2014-07-17] Welcome to Oculus

treytech
Explorer
New discussion thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14645

In my opinion, there is a noticeable lack of demos suited for the first time Rift experience. A person's first time in the Rift is a pretty powerful thing, and I did not like to see it wasted. Dumping a user into a room or environment without any story or build-up seems counter-intuitive to the immersion factor that the Rift allows us. I wanted to tell a story, slowly introduce the user to the Rift, and warm our way up to the more "fun" experiences. The story aspect also lets the user connect on an emotional level with the experience. First impressions are important, even more so with the social stigma virtual reality gained from premature attempts at its creation.

Controls: Hit space as the directions say to begin, tap "b" to reset orientation, and tap "m" to toggle mirroring.

DOWNLOAD: http://treyte.ch/oculus/
Notice: You'll need a set of codecs, like these.

Changelog:

• Update Sep 24: Minor bug fixes/improvements. Submission to Oculus Share.

• Update Sep 18: New build uploaded with mirror to desktop support and a check to ensure video is playing.

Features planned for the next release (sometime in November or December):

• The ability to select some different options before beginning the experience.

• A looping ability, or at least an option to restart without closing the program.

• The ability to pause the experience.

• The ability to jump to a certain scene.

• MAYBE a short version and long version.

• A more exiting intro sequence. (Want to grab you and not let go).

• An "Oculus ride vehicle" instead of a chair, featuring an integrated screen.

• A user avatar.

• Positional audio.

• Custom subtitle support for multiple languages.

• 3D video examples.

• Mass visual improvements.

• Better flow through the experience (some portions will be shortened).

• Many new experiences added that show off other aspects of the Rift.

• A more powerful ending experience.

• A healthy dose of polish.

• New video and narration (perhaps a real voice actor)

• Gear VR support

• Mac support
137 REPLIES 137

Darius
Honored Guest
How can I have missed this until now? Absolutely FANTASTIC demo and a great way to do presentations in general like this. If possible you should create an option for a narrator-sound file so other languanges would be possible like Dutch, German, French etc .. or subtitles (.SRT file) perhaps? Would definitely create a Dutch translation/voiceover.

JasonOstberg
Honored Guest
All of your builds are great. Each with their own strength. Would be great to keep a link handy to all of them. Better yet, include level selection with reviews and descriptions of each build. Level selection similar to Mario64. In a room looking at pictures on a wall. One looks scary. One looks like its in space. If you look long enough it sucks you in and the journey begins.

v0.1 (Slenderman) is my favorite so far. Its good to show people right away that they don't want to play any horror games in the rift. F that.

Gary00
Honored Guest
I think is an awesome demo. I also thank you for taking the slender man part out that was a part of v0.1.

But when showing the rift to someone for the first time I still show them Blocked In. The reason for this is because they can get a full 360 degree look around even though it's a seated experience. This really makes them feel like they're in a different place and is a much more immersive experience.I feel like Welcome to Oculus is lacking this, you can look around behind you but most of the time it's a wall and you quickly want to straight forward.

treytech
Explorer
I think you have a valid point with the looking behind you thing. I have seen, however, that many first time Rift adventurers don't look behind themselves until instructed to do so by the person giving them the demo. So, the demo itself would need to naturally encourage you to fully look around by doing so in the context of the story.

Do you have any ideas about how this can be accomplished, or even what neat things I could put behind the avatar in the demo?

As per the validity of showing this demo as the first Rift experience for a new user, I am not deluded enough to believe that my little demo that I made with a few weeks of Unity experience should trump a more polished demo engineered by someone whose experience far outweighs my own. It was made mainly as a prototype to show what kind of neat things could be done during an introduction, and if it holds up as a good demo on its own merits, then all the better.

I've taken a little break from this demo to give myself a rest, and to gain a fresh perspective on it. I plan to ease myself back into it by working on a good implementation of subtitles next.

Nukemarine
Rising Star
"treytech" wrote:
I think you have a valid point with the looking behind you thing. I have seen, however, that many first time Rift adventurers don't look behind themselves until instructed to do so by the person giving them the demo. So, the demo itself would need to naturally encourage you to fully look around by doing so in the context of the story.

Do you have any ideas about how this can be accomplished, or even what neat things I could put behind the avatar in the demo?

You actually did it in part in your demo. When Abrash, and later the narrator, mentioned about a block above our heads that was when I looked up. Until he said it, I didn't notice it was lowering down on me. Add bells and whistles to the projector room, just don't mention them. In the construct, add in an robot 3 meters to the left, a long window to the right that seems to view an outside place with a robot at the end, and an robot 10 meters behind the viewer. These will begin to move as the narration occurs: "In VR, presence gives your brain a large sense of your surrounding and it is unsettling when changes occur without you knowing about it. On your right you are surprised to see an robot walking past the window (cue person walking past a large window). You notice movement to your left and turn to see the other robot walking away from you (cue person about 6 meters away walking off). Neither of these of course are as surprising as the robot that just snuck up behind you (cue person behind the player). Just as VR can inspire surprise and shock, it can inspire awe and amazement. (carry on to large website room)". The idea is all three robots are moving during the narration, and if the viewer is looking will notice it. However, first time viewers will likely not notice it until they are made aware of them. That way, on repeat viewing, it does not see like you're cheating the viewer (jump scare with a robot just popping up), they just weren't paying attention the first time.

Now with a brief hint to look around, players will look around each new environment after that if they don't already.

Ganjaroach
Explorer

This is a great introductory demo for first time users, it is very informative and I loved the transitions between rooms and the objects appearing when the video was talking about them. This will definitely be the demo I use to show anyone that hasn't used the rift yet from now on. I seen some comments about slender man and I think the scare factor involved in the rift would be a very cool thing to show a first time users. The room with the TV and arcade would be great as a standalone demo to just watch movies on, I could sit and watch movies in that room instead of watching them on a monitor all day long. 🙂 Thanks for making this, It is a great way to get people engaged into the rift with out having to break immersion by explaining everything to them while they are trying to play.

P.S. Everything was in sync when I didn't alt tab thanks for that tip!

None
Honored Guest
Hi.
I love the idea, and the work...simply amazing, perfect to purpose.
Thanks a lot.
But i need to say...: its posible to get the "retro room with arcade and tv" to stay on it FOREVER? I SIMPLY LOVE IT.
Its totally 80-90 nostalgia, i want to stay in there for HOURS. Please! :__)
Thanks again and sorry my english

treytech
Explorer
@None,

I'm turning that room into something akin to VR Cinema, where you can play your own video files. Should be out this week or next, since I am really busy at work currently.

MannyLectro
Explorer
Hi ! Very nice demo !

It was nice seing my 3d model of the Rift in it 😉 ! You might also want to use the rift cover for the part when Palmer shows the DK1.

I'm gonna ask you to credit me tho, since it's the only condition to use my models.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

treytech
Explorer
When I get a spare moment I'll be sure to give you credit.

Where can I find the model for the cover/case?