cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Overlay for SideBySide content

holophone3d
Explorer
If you got an expiration warning, just grab the latest version below

Hey guys, I just prototyped an "OculusOverlay" and it's pretty cool. It can warp in realtime any source content of any size from any desktop window into the OculusRift format I've included a screenshot that shows a 3D trailer from youTube playing on my desktop and a Oculus adjusted view in my second monitor. I was thinking this would be easier than trying to make all applications that produce SideBySide content Rift compatible... this works for videos, games, images, emulators (VirtualBoy anyone 😉 ), anything really...

This now has support for tons of features, check out the readme.txt or hit 'SpaceBar' to get a command list!

Let me know what you think.

OculusOverlay0.92a.zip
OculusOverlayUpdate2.jpg

UPDATE 9/11/16: Latest code update is 0.92a without expiration

*Note* - this requires the XNA 4.0 redist installed (6.7mb) you can get it from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=20914
157 REPLIES 157

fivestarsimulat
Honored Guest
Has anyone tested this with iRacing??

holophone3d
Explorer
Hey guys, quick update with a new version with lots of good stuff to try out. 😄

1) Better defaults for the Rift - now that I have my Rift, I've set the defaults to work pretty well out of the box for viewing stuff (just set your capture region)
2) A few perf tweaks - let me know how the sync and async modes are working out for you
3) New features!! - I've added many of the requested features to the latest version, so check it out and let me know what you think.

FullScreen modes (under development)
Auto set to fullScreen on Rift = Z
Restore Window to previous position = X

Mouse Cursor
Show mouse = E (sets the cursor to the currently displayed cursor)
Hide mouse = D

Distortion Scale
Increase distortion = P (Max is Rift default distortion)
Decrease distortion = O (Min is -.14 which lets you add inverse distortion, just in case that is cool)

Remember: this requires the XNA 4.0 redist installed (6.7mb) you can get it from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

InTheLittleWood
Honored Guest
I know this is an incredibly odd request but is it possibly for you to drop a button / command in that reverses the effects of this overlay?

I've been making videos about games on the rift but obviously the game window is divided to 2 and warped. I was thinking with your program I could reverse that (it won't look perfect but it's better than nothing).

Lots of people who want to do content on Oculus related things would benefit hugely from this type of functionality.

It may be too difficult, I'm a none-coder so in my head I'm just "oh, just invert all the code, inverts the image right?" probabl wrong 😛

Thanks

Patrickshirley
Honored Guest
Perfect,

Seriously, thanks for taking the time on this one.

mbuehler
Honored Guest
Excellent work! Combining this with IZ3D got us playing War Thunder and Wings of Prey. Combined with FaceTrackNoIR, it is a complete experience!

Are there any ways to improve performance? The only complaint I have is the framerate can get quite low.

holophone3d
Explorer
Glad you guys are liking the feature updates.

With regards to performance, Ask and you shall receive! I've got a big update here for Win7/Vista users (Win8 you'll have to wait until the weekend). But it now programmatically turns off DWM which yields a HUGE performance improvement, 60+fps in many cases. I even played Hawken on it last night (minus the stereo/head-tracking of course), and it was really fun! There's some new instructions in the readme, please let me know what you think. 🙂
hawken.jpg

OculusOverlay 0.81.zip
Remember: this requires the XNA 4.0 redist installed (6.7mb) you can get it from MS here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

mbuehler
Honored Guest
Can't thank you enough! Will try this ASAP! Thanks 😄

Edit: OK, tried it out, and it is quite a bit better. I get much better performance with it in the foreground as opposed to the game, but then I lose my joystick. Tried toggling DWM off and on but didn't notice much either way. The zoom function is nice! I'll take it out for a spin again this evening when I have more time.

Thanks again!

mbuehler
Honored Guest
Played with this some more. I was CPU bound, for some reason it wants to get on the same core as the game I'm playing and the performance was rough. I set an affinity to cores 5 and 6, and set the priority to high, and it is liquid smooth now 🙂

Only thing I notice now is a touch of blur? Not sure if that is IZ3D or the overlay causing it. Will play around with it a bit more.

Thanks!

superdarrer
Honored Guest
Mine crashes as soon as I hit "h". I'll play with it more and see if I can find a reason.

Same problem here, "h" works if you hit it before "y" but it crashes after.

It wolud be very useful to be able to specify a capture region numerically in a config file.

Thank you for an amazing work by the way!

konttori
Honored Guest
You rock! Absolutely genius idea, well executed.

The Q mode looks stretched though.
Any chance of adding a non-stetched mode for the 2D mode (Q) that squishes the source content for natural aspect ratio?
Tap Q once, goes to current mode, then tap again to toggle to non-stretched mode?

Setting any video to the "full width" mode in youtube solves the issue for youtube in the A mode, but, playing any non-stereo games or any existing apps come out stretched at the moment.