cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto power off?

Infinite
Honored Guest
Suggestion:

Firstly, I'm Loving the Rift! incredible.

I have noticed a few times now that I have gone to use my Rift only to find I have left on since the last session. One time it was on over night for about 7 hours!

Is it worth Oculus thinking about an auto-off feature on the main control box? say after 30 minutes or 1 hour the system automatically shuts down, or if no tracking is being calculated i.e. the Rift is still.

This would be good to conserve power and life of the Rift screen?

It's very easy to forget to turn the Rift control box off.
_________________________________________________ I N F I N I T E www.ir-ltd.net
10 REPLIES 10

JOHIsaac
Honored Guest
Definitely a feature worth looking into it.

Because you don't know wether the tracking is used or not it should power off once the computer was shut down.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Interesting idea. I can share this with the team and see what they think.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Infinite
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Interesting idea. I can share this with the team and see what they think.

Many thanks 🙂 I comes down to a user issue really, not remembering to turn off the unit! But it could save hassle for you guys further down the line, with burnt out screens or wear and tear in general.
_________________________________________________ I N F I N I T E www.ir-ltd.net

tlopes
Honored Guest
Does the Rift's screen turn off when your computer turns off or goes to sleep and there's no more video signal, or does it stay on flashing the "no video input detected" screen forever?

Infinite
Honored Guest
"tlopes" wrote:
Does the Rift's screen turn off when your computer turns off or goes to sleep and there's no more video signal, or does it stay on flashing the "no video input detected" screen forever?

Not sure. I think if your not sharing the screen and not sending a video signal the Rift screen will be off. However if my screen is being shared and if my main monitors are switched off the Rift will stay on if the main module is still switched on.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you leave the Rift on, I believe the screen will stay lit (either showing black, or have a "no signal found" message). The best thing to do is just hit the power button on the control box and turn it off when you are done.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Infinite
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
If you leave the Rift on, I believe the screen will stay lit (either showing black, or have a "no signal found" message). The best thing to do is just hit the power button on the control box and turn it off when you are done.

Thanks. It's just remembering to do that. As I often leave my PC's on over night rendering or processing.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd also like this feature -- especially if it only turns the backlight off as mentioned in another thread. I'm using the Rift with a DVI splitter and I've found that turning the Rift off via the button on the box causes Windows to get confused about the EDID info and revert to a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor". It is very annoying when I'm not using the Rift because I loose the ability to use my dual-monitors without re-wiring everything. Simply unplugging the Rift from the splitter doesn't help either, since this causes artifacts in the DVI signal.

Infinite
Honored Guest
Just bumping this again.

I really think an auto power off feature, as set by some user setting like 20 minutes or 1 hour would be very useful. Or sleep mode.

I've since swapped over to my 2nd dev kit, new control box, new Rift head set etc. The newer version (2nd batch of shipped orders I ordered in May) is a slightly different design. The control box light is a lighter blue and the eye cups are a different design. The foam also hasn't separated yet like the 1st batch did, after a lot of use which is good. But I do hear ticking from the control box every now and then, once the Rift has been on for a while. 😐

Now that I am actually developing content for the Rift, I'm constantly finding myself leaving the Rift on after I've put it down. I'm worried about burn in, or damaging the screen as the front of the Rift can get warm.

If not, perhaps an auto power off if the Rift has been stationary for more than a few minutes? 5-15 minutes something like that? Just an idea.

VR is very addictive! 😄