cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed tree import Status -Updated July11-

OlivierJT
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I would like to have the official status of Speedtree for Oculus UDK please.
It won't import in 2013-03 release.
There is already a post on this, but no official answer from Oculus.

Thanks.

UPDATE (may 28th) :
I finally got in touch with Speedtree, they are managing the issue with Oculus and Epic, as it's 3 companies talking with each other, things may take some time. They didn't know about OUDK issue, now they do ^_^
Let's wait then !
Good news, it's on the way, let's just hope it's on the good way.

UPDATE (July 11th) :
There is finally a response form Oculus (N.Mitchell), it was posted in another post :
"Lack of UDK support"
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2110
Look for nmichell post 13th answer.
Things are on the way.
Sorry if you read that already, but I have to keep my post updated with all new information.
Cheers.
15 REPLIES 15

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, very sorry about this. It's actually a licensing issue, which is why Speedtree isn't supported in the Oculus version of the UDK. There is also the same issue with Bink video. It's something we can investigate, but I am not sure if or when we can provide support.

OlivierJT
Explorer
Thank you once more for your fast reply ^_^

Well, it is disappointing to learn that all UDK are not alike.
I will contact Speedtree, because if I get license from them and after a little while it become free in the "oculus UDK", that's not so good...
This is confusing that is for sure.

Inscothen
Explorer
Cyber, can I ask why Oculus support isn't in the normal UDK?

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"OlivierJT" wrote:

I will contact Speedtree, because if I get license from them and after a little while it become free in the "oculus UDK", that's not so good...

Could you let us know how that goes? There is no feasible way I could afford a speedtree license after all of the other expenses I have been bombarded by lately.

It really is too bad. If you go Unity no Oculus Integration unless you pay, if you go UDK you lose out on some awesome features because of the deal...
😕

I really hope something works out in our favour come next Epic release as others are hoping.

OlivierJT
Explorer
Of course I will let you know !

From the evaluation disclaimer :
----------------------------------------
SECTION 7: SUPPLEMENTAL CODE
[...]Customer desires to evaluate the corresponding Supplemental Code, defined generally as object code that enables the use of the Software with a third party’s object code (“Partner Software”).
x SpeedTree Integration with Unreal Engine 3* [NOTE: Use of Unreal Developers Kit (UDK) does NOT qualify Customer for this Code]
------------------------------------------

So the problem seems quite complicated to deal with, I am not even sure (yet) if i will be able to buy a Speedtree license and use it with UDK (U3 seems mandatory...)

We'll see how this goes.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
So by the sounds of it indeed the only way will see speedtree in UDK with the Rift is if Epic were to make the build themselves?
Does that mean the Oculus UDK is unnofficial and in no way related to Epic's UDK other than that they use the same source?
I know very little of this sort of thing. I apologize if the question seems silly.

blito3
Honored Guest
yep....have to fork over 450 for official version....oh well....have to wait for a few weeks before I splurge...no oculus yet...

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Can somebody tell me a bit about the differences between tree and speedtree? I have been reading up on them and they seem quite similar but speedtree has the definite added bonus of ease of integration.
I am rather new to these things so again, apologies if they are noobish questions.

OlivierJT
Explorer
Let's not deviate from the subject but :

Tree
Is a free tree generator.
And that's it.

Speedtree
Is also a tree generator (of course...) but the integration with UDK is impressive (to me)
I spent only one full day with Speedtree (3 days ago) and so what are the difference ?

Well difference related to UDK (otherwise I can't compare both) when you import a Speedtree's it is already rigged for udk.
There is wind on it, the billboards works straight up, nothing to do.
Very very impressive.
(except it doesn't import or transfer to the Oculus UDK of course...)

With Tree you will end up with a Mesh and that's it.
You will have to rig it in your 3d app (maya, 3d max) and re-export the thing to udk...

It's probably not fair to compare both software in term of functionality...
...but I have to say i was a little blown away by Speedtree (the collision and force functions)
Very cool stuff in there...

Voila ^_^