cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Skyboxes/ clip distance

MikeArms24
Honored Guest
I was messing around in my game that uses large distances of view in deep space and I ran into a couple issues. One is that I can't seem to increase the clip plane on the OVR cameras past a certain distance. Is this something that needs to happen after the game starts? I ask because I wanted to cull a layer from one of the OVR cameras and the only way I could do it was to run a script when the game started.

Also, The skyboxes seem to be a real hassle so far. I'm not an artist, so I can't paint a skybox myself, nor can I seem to convert a skybox to Rift-compatible by transplanting the materials. I can always see clearly the corners of the box itself when I do this. Does anyone know of some good pointers on doing this, or know where one can find a space-themed rift skybox? Thanks for reading.
3 REPLIES 3

MichaelSchenck
Honored Guest
Not sure if it could be related to your issue, but saw this in another thread:

One thing I did notice in my project that you may be running into: I'm using multiple OVRCC's, and it seemed like the one with the lowest depth was setting the near/far planes for all of the cameras in my scene. If you're using multiple cameras for any reason you might want to see if that's your issue.

Also, I didn't initially realize that the OVRCameraController sets the clip planes of the cameras and was futility trying to set those.

I am doing a large outdoor environment and can't use the skybox workaround supplied in the Tuscany demo. I am also hoping there is some other solution to this.

MikeArms24
Honored Guest
Interesting. I am using the OVR main camera as well as the OVR player controller, but I set every clip distance to what I wanted.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Check out the skybox solution someone posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=844#p10361

The clip planes should be changed on the 'OVRCameraController', not on the cameras themselves.

Hope that helps.