cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfering software is preventing the Rift from activating

tozz3r
Explorer
I'm trying to run the Demo Scene in the utility with the Rift Display Mode set to Direct HMD Access.
Running Windows 8.1.
Rift Firmware 2.12
Rift Runtime 4.3

Error:
There is a problem with your Rift configuration.
Interfering software is preventing the Rift from activating. Loaded UMD is reported as 'nvwgf2um.dll'.

Anyone else?
48 REPLIES 48

saviornt
Protege
What video card do you have and what driver version? That DLL is an nvidia library.

tozz3r
Explorer
Nvidia Driver 344.48
2*GTX 780
Surround mode is off.
3 monitors + the Rift.

saviornt
Protege
Try rolling back to the previous drivers and see if it works.. that's my recommendation currently. If it doesn't work, then you may want to do a dxdiag report and send it to both oculus and nvidia

superqd
Honored Guest
I just installed the 0.4.3 SDK too and experienced the same exact issue. I can no longer run anything because of it.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit.

I have a NVidia GeForce GTX 675M card. Driver 332.88.

Things worked fine before the upgrade.

PatrickR
Honored Guest
Same problem here. Installed 0.4.3 and can't run the Rift in Direct mode at all anymore, worked fine before.

Also installed latest Nvidia drivers and "Nvidia Experience" bullshit recently so could be that.

GeForece GT 650m
Driver 340.52
Win 7

tozz3r
Explorer
I tried uninstalling all nvidia drivers and oculus drivers and re-installing clean, but still getting this.
Anyone from Oculus who can shed some light on this?

I was never able to get Direct Mode working before in 4.2 SDK as well, but didn't get an error, so maybe this is the same issue, I'm just getting an error in 4.3 SDK.

tozz3r
Explorer
From what I can see in the Process Explorer, the OculusConfigUtil.exe itself is using the nvwgf2um.dll...

Only other process using something similar is the explorer.exe which uses nvwgf2umx.dll.

eimmermann
Honored Guest
For me, this issue was caused by having 4 monitors enabled off of a single GTX 980, as well as the Rift plugged in on the 5th port. When it tried to turn on the rift, my bet is that the graphics driver reported back that it couldn't, since it can only push 4 displays at a time. The fix was to disable 1 of the 4 monitors, then everything works fine.

Univerze
Honored Guest
Similar problem here on a mobile dell notebook with another dll ("aticfx32.dll"). I have only the oculus dk2 and the positional tracker connnected to my notebook.
If i startup the eye measurement from the configuration tool i receive the error message:

"Configuration Error
There is a problem with your Rift configuration.
Interfering software is preventing the Rift from activating. Loaded UMD is reported as 'aticfx32.dll'."

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Latitude E6440
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/03/13 03:19:21 Ver: A02.00
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8098MB RAM
Page File: 2879MB used, 13313MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Any solutions out there?

EDIT: After deinstalling 0.4.3 runtime and installing 0.4.2 runtime the dk2 headset works fine for me. One sidenote: I received the rift yesterday and the 0.4.3 runtime was my first runtime. I didn't own any previous versions before.