Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Gun Sights and IPD

FunJumprFunJumpr Posts: 8
Brain Burst
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a project much like Swat 4 and Rainbow Six 3. I'd like the aiming system to be a challenge in itself so the hope is for no reticle. The issue I have is that the sights are too close to the cameras so you can only see the red dot in one eye. If I change the IPD to zero I can now see it but pulling the eyes closer together makes everything huge. Anyone trying this or if you have some insight into this should chime in.

Comments

• genetransfergenetransfer Posts: 605
    Hiro Protagonist
    What I'm doing is raycasting an infared beam, may turn that into just a projected dot depending on visibility. reticles are out as an option unless in 3d space and not close to you as you say.for aiming (unless using motion controllers) I'm keeping the ray locked on Y with player turning (giving independent head movement with the rift) and using up and down on X. I may also before locking it down test out holding down a button to go into shooting mode which will give you your traditional aiming (independent head movement)but will cancel out player yaw until released, I just want to find the most comfortable method as head aiming just is not good for me and there is always trusty old auto lock to fall back on.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,959 Volunteer Moderator
    ACorlett48 wrote:
    The issue I have is that the sights are too close to the cameras so you can only see the red dot in one eye.
    That sounds like it's working correctly. In real life you can't look along a gun's sights with both eyes at the same time.

(Oh, and Swat 4 rocks! Great to hear someone is working on something similar)
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • tutmeistertutmeister Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I thought exactly the same thing kojack,
    I'd actually prefer it like that in a military sim. If you hold the weapon up ready to shoot you should have to close one eye to aim properly down the sight/scope. If you are using a red dot/reflex style sight you actually look around with the gun up but you are only seeing the red dot with one eye, your brain merges the images for you. This is exactly what it would be like in the rift. Having it only visible in one eye us actually a good thing once you think about it!

This theory falls down if you are going for a more arcade type of shooter, your cod crowd would say it's broken or too hard.

Chris
  • RoyMi6RoyMi6 Posts: 171
    Hiro Protagonist
    kojack wrote:
    That sounds like it's working correctly. In real life you can't look along a gun's sights with both eyes at the same time.

Negative - that's exactly what Reflex/Holographic sights are supposed to fix:
    http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm
    tutmeister wrote:
    If you hold the weapon up ready to shoot you should have to close one eye to aim properly down the sight/scope. If you are using a red dot/reflex style sight you actually look around with the gun up but you are only seeing the red dot with one eye, your brain merges the images for you.

This is true. I can check with my own holographic sight tonight but my understanding of why you can use both eyes open is, in addition to the holographic sight being "projected" far out in front the the gun, the fact that only your dominant eye can see the cross-hair at any given time.

Like tutmeister says, this brighter, dominant eye image then overlays the target. I think by extending the sight cross-hair with that line all the way to the edge of the sight you are seeing something you shouldn't normally see and that's what's confusing matters.

If you're correctly rendering the holographic cross-hair (i.e. hold the gun still and move your head the red dot should stay on target) then try reducing the cross-hair size to that of a normal one like an eotech. It's likely the reason they do this :)
  • grodenglaivegrodenglaive Posts: 395
    Brain Burst
    very informative link. Thanks, I learned something new today. :)
    GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2