Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

SDK: "Unity" vs. "Mobile"

cowlinatorcowlinator Posts: 18
edited January 2015 in Unity Development
I haven't been able to find the answer to this anywhere (correct me if it's out there). I noticed that on the Oculus SDK page ( https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/#sdk=any ), there is 1. an SDK for Unity (i.e. Rift), and 2. an SDK for mobile (Gear VR) which also contains a Unity package.

It looks like the files for each SDK differ considerably, but I'm not sure if that is because the version numbers differ (0.4.4-beta vs 0.4.1), or because the SDKs are incompatible.

Are they compatible? If not, then it kind of defeats the purpose of using a multi-platform engine (I am trying to build to Rift and to Gear VR with the same project).

Comments

• drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    They are not compatible yet, although perhaps it is possible to treat the Mobile 0.4.1 SDK as if it had the same API and inner workings as the Rift 0.4.1 SDK (which is pretty ancient at this point). As far as I know, for now the main point of the PC code that comes with the Mobile SDK is so that you can use a DK1 or DK2 to test stuff without deploying to a mobile device.

Also, consider what happens if you want to develop for other HMDs not from Oculus -- you'll need a way to swap SDKs in and out of your project, or you'll be stuck hoping they all play nicely together. So even if/when Oculus merges the mobile and PC SDKs, you'll still have the same issue if you want to bring support beyond Oculus/Samsung products.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yes, right now they are two separate SDKs. Eventually we'd like a unified code-base.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • I see. Thanks.
    drash wrote:
    Also, consider what happens if you want to develop for other HMDs not from Oculus

I actually got the Oculus (PC) SDK to work fine with Cardboard, just by using a different scene for each (due to camera rigs and "manager" scripts). Haven't tried it with the Gear.