Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Crescent Bay developer kit...

LastBlowLastBlow Posts: 15
NerveGear
Will there be a Crescent Bay developer kit or a developer kit with integrated audio headset and when?
Looking forward to hear from you, thank you! :D

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Crescent Bay is just a prototype. It won't be released.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • LastBlowLastBlow Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Thank you! Right... Just saw that in a YouTube video.
    Will there be a developer kit with integrated headset anytime soon, please?
    As far as I know, there will be no more development kits. Please wait for the consumer version. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • LastBlowLastBlow Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited July 2015
    And a few more... ;)

How long of a wait right now for the DK 2, please?
    Does it come with an external positional-tracking accessory?
    What software would you recommend: OpenGL and C++?
    Also, does Leap Motion work well with the Oculus Rift?
    Got milk? Take that back, student pricing???

Looking forward to hear back from you.
    If you purchase a DK2, it typically will ship within 1 - 2 weeks.

It does have a positional tracking camera that is included.

I would recommend either Unity or Unreal Engine 4. OpenGL / C++ is supported but will be a lot more work.

Some people have used third-party input devices, but there is no official support for that.

Sorry, no milk and no student pricing.
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 971
    Art3mis
    I would recommend either Unity or Unreal Engine 4. OpenGL / C++ is supported but will be a lot more work.
    LOL! Agree 100%. When I started coding (in the 90s), I got to write my own rasterizers. Back then, we would write our own engines and getting to use a library like OpenGL or Glide was the best "shortcut" we could really get. Nowadays, I would probably only choose to write my own engine if I was looking for a way to procrastinate on my actual game project... or if I was wanting my game to run on a platform that had no established engines. The source code to Unreal Engine is available and if you really want to fundamentally modify the engine you can create your own fork.

That said... I saw the work that the Rayman team did on their custom game engine... It was quite beautiful.