cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for creating Art for VR???

KC130280
Honored Guest
What are the best practices for conducting 3D Art for VR. ?
3 REPLIES 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
Creating art for VR is not that different than from normal games. The engines used and process is pretty much the same.

The only thing to watch out for is relying on normal mapping, or billboards, or other "tricks" which work OK in 2D but look patently fake in stereo 3D.

You also want to prioritize high performance over image quality. You want to target (on PC) 75fps minimum framerates as to avoid judder and uncomfortable experiences in VR.

Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

saviornt
Protege
I would also like to add that LOD's (both in the model and in the mapping) is your best friend. A texture that is a kilometer in the distance doesn't need to be a 4096x4096 texture map, and likewise, a texture that is 1m away shouldn't be a 256x256 texture. Well, unless that is the art style your going for.. but I hope you get my point.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

KC130280
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Creating art for VR is not that different than from normal games. The engines used and process is pretty much the same.

The only thing to watch out for is relying on normal mapping, or billboards, or other "tricks" which work OK in 2D but look patently fake in stereo 3D.

You also want to prioritize high performance over image quality. You want to target (on PC) 75fps minimum framerates as to avoid judder and uncomfortable experiences in VR.

Hope that helps.

Hi thanks for the insightfull information.
What would you recommend for models such as mechs? Just pure geometry right?