Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums will be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.
New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

VR Jam FAQ

Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
edited September 2015 in VR Jam
For a full list of questions and answers for the Mobile VR Jam, please visit this page:

http://vrjam.challengepost.com/details/faq

Please let us know if you have any questions! :)
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
«134

Comments

  • treytechtreytech Posts: 243
    Art3mis
    What is stopping someone from starting work on a project now, and simply finishing it during the jam window?
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 969
    Art3mis
    This is very cool. Do you have a plan for judging multiplayer games?
    OS: Win10 Pro x64, GPU: EVGA GTX 980, CPU: i7-6700K @4.0GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+, Ram: [email protected], Main Drive: Samsung SM951 512GB, Monitor: 50" 4K @ 60hz
    Tools: UE4, Blender, VS2013, PSP 4.12, Fre:ac
  • We're in!
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    treytech wrote:
    What is stopping someone from starting work on a project now, and simply finishing it during the jam window?

    Nothing. It does not really matter anyway. I am now working on VR for 2 years and have build a big library of pre-made assets to allow for speedy building of apps/games ... that is well within the rules as I still design the concept and software for the Jam, but it also saves me a ton of time due to time spend prior to the contest.

    Any company that joins in will likely have a similar library just a lot bigger.

    In the end it is the idea and result that counts!
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • We built an API for VR developers wanting to integrate 360 degree videos and photos into their apps. We have developers building Rift / Gear apps on top of it already:

    Tons of content already that you can use.
    http://developer.littlstar.com/
    http://developer.littlstar.com/docs/

    Let us know if we can be helpful as you build your apps, and good luck!!
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    treytech wrote:
    What is stopping someone from starting work on a project now, and simply finishing it during the jam window?

    Technically, you can start on your project now. :)
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    andrewtek wrote:
    This is very cool. Do you have a plan for judging multiplayer games?

    I'd refer to the Judging Criteria on the ChallengePost page: http://vrjam.challengepost.com/
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • ferdy182ferdy182 Posts: 4
    Do you guys know if it is possible to borrow a Gear VR + Note4 in Germany for the jam? I don't want to buy one just for the contest and we are already a team... Any info about this would be awesome. Thanks!
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    I have a question along similar lines -

    In Summer 2013 I shared a motion control experiment called Crashland on Oculus Share, which was a Razer Hydra + DK1 only demo. My ambition for this gamejam is to completely re-boot the idea for mobile, with brand new experimental input, gameplay design, weapons, alien design (which I will model, rig, texture, animate) etc.

    However I want to keep the name (working title Crashland Reborn) and general idea of a lone survivor swarmed by aliens, desert planet etc. Basically I really love the aesthetic I created with Crashland and want to use it as a canvas to explore untethered VR.

    I assume this is ok because I am re-designing a brand new experience from the ground up for mobile? I intend to document / vlog the whole process too.

    I asked on Reddit when this competition was announced and Palmer replied with "As long as it is an entirely new experience built for mobile, definitely. No problem with reusing names or aesthetics!" . But I just want to double check because I intend to pour everything I've got into this project.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @sfaok: The point is that people should not take a previously released game and just submit it to the jam. If you want to make a sequel or spin-off based on the same world (with some of the same art, even) I think that should be fine as long as it's an original idea (i.e. not a straight port).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    sfaok wrote:
    ... My ambition for this gamejam is to completely re-boot the idea for mobile, with brand new experimental input ...
    Software must be controlled entirely by either (a) built-in functionality of the Samsung Gear VR Innovator’s Edition (i.e., head tracking or touch-pad interface), (b) a Samsung Gamepad or similar standard-configuration Bluetooth gamepad, or some combination of (a) and (b). Use of any other type of controller is prohibited.

    I do not know if you mean a brand new input concept or actually an experimental controller - so I thought I warn you just in case. Love Crashland!!!
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    @cybereality brilliant - thanks for clarifying.

    @gerald - yeah I meant FPS input concept. Although I wish I had something more responsive than the Samsung gamepad! :?
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    ferdy182 wrote:
    Do you guys know if it is possible to borrow a Gear VR + Note4 in Germany for the jam? I don't want to buy one just for the contest and we are already a team... Any info about this would be awesome. Thanks!

    From another thread, as an FYI:

    Hi Gear VR Jammers,

    I've been working on getting Gear VR HW (including Note 4 devices) into "satellite" host locations. Sweden and Germany IGDA chapters haven't yet responded, as I see those two came up in this thread. If you are willing to host devs in your region, or can put me in touch with someone from the region who has a space which could be shared/used as a host site, drop me a PM and I'll work with you on getting a kit sent your way.

    We're very excited to see your projects in the VR Jam!

    Aaron Davies
    Oculus Head of Partner Relations
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • EMcNeillEMcNeill Posts: 158
    Hiro Protagonist
    sfaok wrote:
    I have a question along similar lines -

    In Summer 2013 I shared a motion control experiment called Crashland on Oculus Share, which was a Razer Hydra + DK1 only demo. My ambition for this gamejam is to completely re-boot the idea for mobile, with brand new experimental input, gameplay design, weapons, alien design (which I will model, rig, texture, animate) etc.

    However I want to keep the name (working title Crashland Reborn) and general idea of a lone survivor swarmed by aliens, desert planet etc. Basically I really love the aesthetic I created with Crashland and want to use it as a canvas to explore untethered VR.

    I assume this is ok because I am re-designing a brand new experience from the ground up for mobile? I intend to document / vlog the whole process too.

    I asked on Reddit when this competition was announced and Palmer replied with "As long as it is an entirely new experience built for mobile, definitely. No problem with reusing names or aesthetics!" . But I just want to double check because I intend to pour everything I've got into this project.

    I'm doing something similar, building something similar to a prototype I made for a hackathon a few months ago. It'll be much larger and built from scratch, of course. I spoke with Laird from Oculus at GDC, and he said it sounded fine. :)
  • kaz2057kaz2057 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Dear VR Jam Team,

    We are an Italian startup videogame company and we would join to this jam but reading your rules:
    --
    ELIGIBILITY: For the purposes of this Contest, the “Territory” means the United States, Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Switzerland, Norway, Poland, Austria, Belgium, Russia
    --

    It is possibile that Italy is not permitted to join to jam? Why?

    Thanks,
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If your country is not listed in the rules then, unfortunately, you will not be eligible. Sorry.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • bnolanbnolan Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Hey Cybereality,

    I want to make a client for scenevr (opensource multiplayer VR) as part of the jam. SceneVR already has a browser based viewer for desktop, but I'll have to develop it from scratch in unity to be gearvr compatible. Is that allowed in the jam?
    SceneVR - Social Virtual Reality in the browser.
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    bnolan wrote:
    Hey Cybereality,

    I want to make a client for scenevr (opensource multiplayer VR) as part of the jam. SceneVR already has a browser based viewer for desktop, but I'll have to develop it from scratch in unity to be gearvr compatible. Is that allowed in the jam?

    Hello! If the multiplayer VR app/platform is rebuilt or redesigned enough for VR, then you're entry will be allowed. :)
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    Gypsy816 wrote:
    bnolan wrote:
    Hey Cybereality,

    I want to make a client for scenevr (opensource multiplayer VR) as part of the jam. SceneVR already has a browser based viewer for desktop, but I'll have to develop it from scratch in unity to be gearvr compatible. Is that allowed in the jam?

    Hello! If the multiplayer VR app/platform is rebuilt or redesigned enough for VR, then you're entry will be allowed. :)

    gypsy816 - it already is a VR app, so it will be a port from DK1/2 to GearVR I think.
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • 3danimator3danimator Posts: 55
    edited September 2015
    [DBU]
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    3danimator wrote:
    If your country is not listed in the rules then, unfortunately, you will not be eligible. Sorry.

    Why is not the Czech Republic in the list ?
    Thanks for the answer.

    Apologies, but if your country is not on the list in the rules, you won't be eligible to compete in the Jam.
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    Gerald wrote:
    Gypsy816 wrote:
    bnolan wrote:
    Hey Cybereality,

    I want to make a client for scenevr (opensource multiplayer VR) as part of the jam. SceneVR already has a browser based viewer for desktop, but I'll have to develop it from scratch in unity to be gearvr compatible. Is that allowed in the jam?

    Hello! If the multiplayer VR app/platform is rebuilt or redesigned enough for VR, then you're entry will be allowed. :)

    gypsy816 - it already is a VR app, so it will be a port from DK1/2 to GearVR I think.

    As long as it follows the below! :)

    "You can reuse existing art and assets to help speed up development time, but entries that you previously submitted to other contests or publishing sites will not be eligible, including direct ports from Oculus Share."
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • bnolanbnolan Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification!
    SceneVR - Social Virtual Reality in the browser.
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    bnolan wrote:
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

    Anytime! If you think of any other questions, just let us know. :)
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • yosunyosun Posts: 69
    Strictly speaking, on the two contest categories:

    what's the difference between a game or "app/experience"?
    ChallengePost: yosun
    SMS: 415-77-YOSUN
    Twitter: @yosun

    Some old public hacks.
  • HelloMeowHelloMeow Posts: 99
    Brain Burst
    yosun wrote:
    Strictly speaking, on the two contest categories:

    what's the difference between a game or "app/experience"?

    If your app has a fail state or scoring, then it's a game. That's what I've read somewhere.
    VRJam: Hexagon
  • 3danimator3danimator Posts: 55
    edited September 2015
    [DBU]
  • JamsCenterJamsCenter Posts: 59 Oculus Start Member
    I am currently waiting the 5.0.1 Version of my android N910F (Galaxy Note 4) to use with my GearVR.
    I am from Belgium and I am afraid to received the version in the middle of the contest or at the end.

    I read about Kies and Odin to flash the version on my phone...
    But I am afraid of the possibility to Brick my phone :cry: .
    It is not like the phone cost 600€+. :?

    Can Samsung target a phone to update it legally to the Lollipop version for the contest ?
    If yes who can I contact for that ?
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    VgQD wrote:
    I am currently waiting the 5.0.1 Version of my android N910F (Galaxy Note 4) to use with my GearVR.
    I am from Belgium and I am afraid to received the version in the middle of the contest or at the end.

    I read about Kies and Odin to flash the version on my phone...
    But I am afraid of the possibility to Brick my phone :cry: .
    It is not like the phone cost 600€+. :?

    Can Samsung target a phone to update it legally to the Lollipop version for the contest ?
    If yes who can I contact for that ?

    You dont want to update to Lollipop with the Snapdragon Note 4, as there is a peformance regression on Gear VR. They are working on a fix, but not sure when this fix will come. That's why i went back to Kitkat.
  • PomeroyBPomeroyB Posts: 36
    Has Oculus stated what version of Android will be running on the judges' devices? It'd be a shame to be utilizing the performance of KitKat, only to find that Oculus is judging based on Lollipop...
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.