cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: Unity 5.0.0p2 + OVR SDK 0.4.3.1 material dup problem

jaba
Honored Guest
I'm having a problem with an object using another object's material only at runtime on Note4+GearVR.
Windows 7, Unity 5.0.0p2, OVR Mobile SDK 0.4.3.1. Unity Pro, Android Free.

I created a simple scene with two cubes and a quad for a gaze reticle.

CubeA has material CubeA which is a standard shader with white albedo and texture TestA.

Cube B has material CubeB which is a standard shader with white albedo and texture TestB.

Reticle is childed to LeftEyeAnchor, is a quad, has material Reticle, which is a standard shader with white albedo and texture Cross Reticle.

When playing in the editor everything runs fine. When doing a standalone windows build, everything's also fine. If I do an Android build and run on Note4 + GearVR, then CubeA shows up using the reticle material, as does the reticle object. CubeB uses the correct material.

If I change the reticle to not be a standard shader, but instead sprite/default, the problem goes away. If I do a pure Android build with no OVR integration, the problem goes away.

It's really strange. I've tried various permutations of re-creating the project and adding objects in different orders. One texture always seems to get used on multiple (but not all) objects when running on GearVR + Note4.
3 REPLIES 3

jaba
Honored Guest
Further testing shows this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the reticle, per se. Just the last material I add gets used on more than one object, even if all objects have separate materials assigned. So strange.

jaba
Honored Guest
I believe this is the bug described in another forum thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=21985

berlin3d
Honored Guest
Yeah I had similar problems. I guess that is why they recommend sticking to Unity 4.x.. 😐
CEOs Pet Software @ceospet