Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[APK] SteamCrew VR

KominAaaKominAaa Posts: 135
edited June 2015 in VR Jam 2015
Hello everyone! We are a 4 people team from Agharta Studio and Blackmuffin, we worked on EpicDragon VR for 2013's VR Jam.

Our game is called SteamCrew VR and it offers players to play as treasure hunters Captain' Karkass and Ida Steele, crew of pirate steam submarine Rocketshrimp.
On a quest for the magical gems of the darkest abysses, they will face both the mysterious guardians of Yyl and vicious rival pirate submarines!

Challengepost link!

Title01_mini.jpg

SteamCrew VR is now available for download!

The game requires 2 Gears on the same WiFi network to play.
It's not yet possible to steer the sub playing solo, we are working on that.

INSTRUCTIONS

- Pilot's seat, is responsible for navigation, steam tanks positions are marked on the Gyro Ring. STEER the ship through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. SWIPE FORWARD to ACCELERATE. SWIPE BACKWARD to REVERSE, engine consume steam. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Toggles LIGHTS on/off by TAPPING on the button. Turning it off saves steam. At the gunner's signal, TAPPING on handles to FIRE torpedoes or rocket.

- Gunners's seat, is responsible for observation. detects enemy positions by TAPPING on the Sonar's button. AIM and lead targets with the turret through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. Shoot the back of enemies to score Critical hits (x2 damage) SWIPE UPWARD to CLIMB. SWIPE DOWNWARD to DIVE. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Use Gyro Ring ring to communicate enemy position to the Pilot.

The game requires a lot of teamwork, communication and coordination.
So far our record is around 600.000 :)

We'll be posting an instructional video soon to explain the gameplay in a more pleasant way.

--- Original post content ---

The last jam was a very cool experience so we thought we'd enter this one!

The project will be running on Unity4; that's a big challenge for us since we have no prior Unity experience :)

I'll try to update this devblog is often as we can with bits of game design, visuals, screenshots and hopefully videos (once we manage to record stuff on the Gear! )

In the meantime, we wish everybody good luck and great fun :)

Edit 04-23-2015: Logo Added
Edit 05-11-2015: APK Released
Edit 05-12-2015: Added Gameplay Video
Edit 05-19-2015: Switching all pictures from forum hosted to outside host
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR!
Follow us on Facebook!

Comments

• KominAaaKominAaa Posts: 135
    edited May 2015
    Hi again, it would be nice to show a bit more what the game will be like :)

We wanted to go for a Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea's styled Steampunk theme with dwarves to give the game a cool not too realistic yet immersive feeling!

Matthieu our concept artist has been working on a concept for the submarine's interior :)

Sub_Interior01_mini.jpg

Here are a few 3D drafts to check if stuff can fit in the submarine.

Cockpit01.jpg

Cockpit02.jpg

I'm working on the design at the moment. As you can see, it's going to be first-person and cockpit-based with a lot of interactions!
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • AdamBaileyAdamBailey Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Look forward to seeing what you guys come up with for this!
  • BinoBino Posts: 112
    Hiro Protagonist
    With regards to that last picture... Multi player VR submarine??? Yes please!
    edited May 2015
    Bino wrote:
    Multi player VR submarine??? Yes please!
    Nice ;) we wanted to keep that a secret for a little longer but well, it's getting obvious with the new screens!

Mathieu has been working on some more interior concepts;

Sub_Interior02.jpg

I'm trying to find the best configuration possible to maximize the feeling of presence inside the ship (players seeing each other)
    Here are two test shots of layout test.

Cockpit03.jpg

Cockpit04.jpg

Aurélien is starting working on getting the game's framework inside Unity, it's going to be hard. We want to implement lots of systems to allow intense collaboration from players but I'll explain more on that later!
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 297 Oculus Start Member
    I'm not sure why. But this strikes me as being similar to lunar flight, but multiplayer controlled and under the Sea. I love it. Very exciting.

Well played. :)
    edited May 2015
    I'm not sure why. But this strikes me as being similar to lunar flight, but multiplayer controlled and under the Sea. I love it. Very exciting.

It is not one of our main inspirations but I can see the connection :)

Today we're starting working on the environment, here are some rocks I've been sculpting quick to build generated scenery :)

Rocks01.jpg

These 4 rock modules will be rotated randomly to offer some variation; they're a mix of rocks, corral and columns/temple structures.

Sandra has been working on Captain Karkass, the sub's dwarf pilot. He will be the one steering the ship, using and fixing weapon systems, also he will take care of some of the sub's maintenance.

Pilot01.jpg

Communication and teamwork are the main focus of SteamCrew VR, we want players to play in the same room and feel like they're aboard the same Submarine, seeing what their friend is doing, what he is looking at.
    Every game element is designed to create interactions and discussions between players, which actions to take or what choices to make.
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • iloontjuh30iloontjuh30 Posts: 57
    NerveGear
    Looks very good :)
    edited May 2015
    Looks very good :)

Thanks!

Sandra has been doing another concept, this is Ida Steele, the gunner. She'll generally be the eyes and ears of the Sub, will have to aim at other subs and do the engine maintenance!

Gunner01.jpg

Matthieu is working on some environment concepts. This is a rock on the style we are going for on this project. Simple and effective hand-painting and we'll have to simulate most of the lighting :)

Rocks02.jpg

We are working hard on getting stuff into the game, I'm done modelling, unwrapping and skinning the pilot, aside of building the cockpit which you'll see soon!

Pilot02.jpg

On the design side of things, this is getting clearer :)
    I've been using the design techniques featured on this very cool channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-IrHkpkqk
    This is to make sure every feature we want to add serves the main focus or our project. So far it's been useful and with a bit of luck, every design bit might prove to be a relevant addition!

As you can guess, maintenance will be a big part of the game and we want players to argue about what system to fix first given the situation they're in!

Aurélien has a butt-ugly but working prototype with temporary assets, basic movement and networking are close to working! That means we'll have in-game shots soon hopefully !
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • RyuMasterRyuMaster Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    This seems like a very cool idea, I wonder how its going to turn out in terms of game-mechanics, and I wish the best of luck to you :)
  • JoyhypeJoyhype Posts: 40
    Very cool idea. I really dig the rocks :3
    SaaS and Fullstack developer. Hobby Game developer.
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Really cool idea - looking forward to watching this come together!
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • DimaDima Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    I would love to ride that steam submarine.
    Dmitry Kurilchenko

[VR Jam 2015] Wendy
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Nice low poly models.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ElvinaElvina Posts: 54
    Very interesting idea. Good concept-art.
    I would like to play as one steam submarine crew with my friends.
    But is there any possibility that I will be able to play even I’m just myself at home?
    edited May 2015
    Elvina wrote:
    is there any possibility that I will be able to play even I’m just myself at home?

Thank you :)
    For the jam it won't be possible. We might find ways to allow players to train afterwards, still the game is designed as a cooperative experience.

Ola! It's so great to see all these projects coming up on other threads, I love reading devblogs, it's so motivating!
    On our side, things are pretty smooth aside of some Unity hickups ( I hear Aurélien swearing offensive french stuff at monodevelop every few hours!)
    We have a working cockpit placeholder with two characters playing their animations, it's quite buggy but it works, networking works enough too!
    At the moment we are trying to implement all the basic game features we have in mind to leave room for a refocus if things don't turn out to play that well :)

On the graphics part, Sandra designed our first and basic guardian, the Lamprey, the most common danger you'll find lurking in the depths.

Guardians01.jpg

Matthieu is working on a cool logo that really characterizes the gameplay and ambience, I'm hoping to have it soon!

I'm modelling, unwrapping and rigging so much that at night I have unwrapping nightmares, here are some shots of Ida both in a standard modelling pose and at her post.

Gunner02.jpg

Gunner03.jpg

We'll try video recording tonight!
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Looks really promising but for a future release i hope that the game can also be played by 1 person or atleast by online multiplayer, as you dont always have other people around to play with. (Especially when additional hardware is needed)
    HomerS66 wrote:
    I hope that the game can also be played by 1 person or atleast by online multiplayer
    We want to do online MP if we can afterwards but as you have to be in constant communication with the other player we will have to find ways to prevent trolling ;)
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 297 Oculus Start Member
    Having a dk2 build alongside it should help out a lot of people. So they can use their dk2 and gearvr for co-op play with their friends locally
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,847
    Neo
    I'm excited for SteamCrew VR! Great name, concept art, and models so far, and given the developers building this, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be able to crack the code for good multiplayer VR.
    edited May 2015
    drash wrote:
    I'm excited for SteamCrew VR! Great name, concept art, and models so far, and given the developers building this, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be able to crack the code for good multiplayer VR.

Wow man thanks, that means a lot coming from a good VR dev like you, we hope to push VR as a positive social experience with player interactions :)

We did not have time to try recording the game yesterday but we are working on tweaking handling and basic enemy AI today :)

Here's the second Guardian we'll add; drawn by Sandra, it's shape will be tweaked to reflect his ingame behaviour when I'll model it.

Guardians02.jpg

I've been working really hard to get the cockpit done, here it is in all its Ambient Occlusive glory!

Cockpit05_mini.jpg

Cockpit06_mini.jpg

Thnak you everybody for the kind words !
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    This is one of those games that make me go: Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

Looks like loads of fun if you can get Spaceteam (iOS) style elements in there which I think you mentioned as maintenance tasks.
    spinaljack wrote:
    This is one of those games that make me go: Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

Looks like loads of fun if you can get Spaceteam (iOS) style elements in there which I think you mentioned as maintenance tasks.

It actually one of the main references we had in mind! We surely won't reach that level of complexity during the jam though, but we want to go towards the same game feel :)
    I'm glad to see your team going for a similar coop experience, I really think this kind of experiences is what could make VR more fun, can't wait to try it!
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • ksivaksiva Posts: 18
    I absolutely love the concept for this game, and the graphics are looking amazing!! I'll second the request for a one-player mode (eventually). Even if it just allows us to explore the environment without gameplay, that'd be great!
    edited May 2015
    Hi! It's week 2 of the jam already! Damn we spend a lot of time with trial and error on anims... but still here is some ingame stuff!

Ingame01.jpg

Ingame02.jpg

Also a first video recorded via the Recordable app!

Music is Impact Lento by Kevin MacLeod
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    OMG that video looks so good! I think you're on to a winner there.
    spinaljack wrote:
    OMG that video looks so good! I think you're on to a winner there.

Thanks a lot man, there is still a ton of stuff on our todo list before this is a proper game though :D
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • Really good game. Waiting for texture pass! Geo looks clean and sweet 8-)
  • Devster3Devster3 Posts: 22 Oculus Start Member
    This looks very promising. Great use of multiplayer and seated experience. Looking forward to testing this.
  • WhelanWebWhelanWeb Posts: 584
    This looks great. Cant wait to try it out. Getting this done in 4 weeks looks like it will be a challenge but it really looks fantastic.
    Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site.

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    It does indeed look very promising! I agree with an option for a single player just to have a sandbox mode just to muck around on.
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk