Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[APK download] Crashland Reborn

2

Comments

  • miketuckermiketucker Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    !!! can't believe you're so far along. Will you have any mode for touchpad only?
    Developer of VRJam submission: Tana Pura
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    miketucker wrote:
    !!! can't believe you're so far along. Will you have any mode for touchpad only?
    Hopefully I can bring motion controls into it when something like the STEM comes along but unfortunately the mechanics are probably too complex for touchpad only. Maybe I can create a 'touchpad' game mode that is a bit more streamlined.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • HelloMeowHelloMeow Posts: 99
    Brain Burst
    sfaok wrote:
    miketucker wrote:
    !!! can't believe you're so far along. Will you have any mode for touchpad only?
    Hopefully I can bring motion controls into it when something like the STEM comes along but unfortunately the mechanics are probably too complex for touchpad only. Maybe I can create a 'touchpad' game mode that is a bit more streamlined.

    That's the case for a lot of games. It's great that it's there and it has it's uses. There will probably be some great games that use it in ingenious ways, but there isn't a whole lot you can do with just a couple of buttons/swipes and head tracking.

    It get's gimmicky rather fast and having to look around all the time while holding your fingers on the touch pad can get tiresome and/or cumbersome.
    VRJam: Hexagon
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    I have added explosions!



    This is the Hellfire firing mode, which is a mid-late game upgrade for the smart pistol.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • nilstasticnilstastic Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Looks excellent! Hellfire mode is a good name. =)

    How many triangles / drawcalls ?
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    nilstastic wrote:
    Looks excellent! Hellfire mode is a good name. =)

    How many triangles / drawcalls ?
    I've left the stats on in that video if you watch in 1080p.

    Currently hovering between 70-100 draw calls, about 75k polys. Not done any optimisation yet though - using T4M plugin can drop Unity terrain draw calls from 20 to 1 for example. I'll probably have to tone down the explosions a bit because of overdraw etc.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    And you added an arm which is nice to have :)
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 279
    Art3mis
    sfaok wrote:
    I've left the stats on in that video if you watch in 1080p...

    Excellent work! I feel so dumb, I have been creating a copy of my Unity 4.6.3 project and opening it in Unity 5 to check the draw calls and vertices counts. Turns out, I just have to hit the stats button I didn't see, thanks for that! I really should have seen that, didn't think Unity Free had that information readily available.

    :)
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Excellent work! I feel so dumb, I have been creating a copy of my Unity 4.6.3 project and opening it in Unity 5 to check the draw calls and vertices counts. Turns out, I just have to hit the stats button I didn't see, thanks for that! I really should have seen that, didn't think Unity Free had that information readily available.
    Great - Glad I could point it out! Those stats are absolutely invaluable for optimisation.
    HomerS66 wrote:
    And you added an arm which is nice to have :)
    There's actually been a full avatar in there since the first week, even before the aiming. The problem is basically that it feels a bit wierd to have a torso / moving legs, especially when sitting down. I removed them for the same reason as the gun / arm drops to your side after a few seconds of no activity - trying to make it as comfortable as possible.

    Later down the line I also hope to integrate STEM / Lighthouse motion tracking into this game, designing it around that fact - which will mean floating guns again. However for the gamejam I'm probably going to keep the arms there because they are awesome 8-)
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • miketuckermiketucker Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    on the Unity5 topic, anyone noticed any performance differences between the two?
    Developer of VRJam submission: Tana Pura
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 279
    Art3mis
    miketucker wrote:
    on the Unity5 topic, anyone noticed any performance differences between the two?

    I personally have only just tried running my project on PC to use the profiler and check the stats. I still feel dumb that I didn't hit that option on unity 4.6.3 free. No performance issues on pc. I would imagine the physically based shades would be resource intensive on the note though. I've heard people are baking the lighting just fine though. Someone on this forum wrote a guide I think too for getting unity 5 to compile gear vr projects. It's too much of a risk for me until they sort everything out.

    I'm so excited I figured out you can toggle the stereo view on and off pretty easy and render a regular camera with head tracking from dk2. That means 1080 P video export fullsceeen next video for me. That's getting off topic though sorry just excited.
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR
  • fella1fella1 Posts: 51
    Brain Burst
    Just stumbled across this thread. Wow! Great looking game. I look forward to trying it out my Note 4 VR. Keep up the great work! :D
  • mrscratchmrscratch Posts: 15
    I've always wanted to play the origonal version of this but never checked it out because I didn't have a Hydra. I'm glad you're making a Gear version I'm excited to try it!
  • EugTankEugTank Posts: 42
    Great progress, man. Waiting for final game!
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Here's the Milestone 3 video:

    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    love it - the monsters feel rather alive, the upgrade and weapon systems feel very well thought through and that beam movement feature feels like a great idea to avoid too much movement.

    next time make an app please :P
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • Devster3Devster3 Posts: 22 Oculus Start Member
    Great Video. I love the hologram screen that pops up and the aerial drop.
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    That's pretty much it, done! :D

    Here's the Crashland Reborn APK - Download.
    Let me know what you think!

    mPH8Kva.png
    obEulR6.png
    e7M572B.png
    WCshqdD.png
    JSJE9Ex.png
    mlzBPOU.png
    yLhwhfN.png
    C9MisFQ.png
    7CWMRfE.png

    The entire experience lasts 8 minutes but is designed to be played over and over, experimenting with different builds and chasing the high score.

    It's basically an arms race between you and the aliens. Spend your credits as soon as you get them at first (Impact / accuracy upgrade), then save up for Rapid Fire or Hellfire (my favourite).

    If you launch an alien into the air with a hellfire rocket, killing them while airborne gives you double credits and a nice firework!

    If you're using the standard Samsung gamepad, I recommend aiming by holding down the left bumper. If you have a Moga Pro or something I prefer to aim using the right stick.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    Any non-controller support?
    Would love to play it.
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    spinaljack wrote:
    Any non-controller support?
    Would love to play it.
    No unfortunately! Uses every button and stick on the controller. I might eventually have some kind of gesture / gaze shooter mode for touchpad only if I can think of an elegant design. Swipe to change fire modes etc.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • fella1fella1 Posts: 51
    Brain Burst
    Just played for about 20 minutes before I had to take a phone call. Great game! The controls are very smooth and aiming works well. The graphics are very nice and the sound effects work well also. I never managed to survive the 8 minutes yet, probably because I didn't know how to upgrade the gun. I see the directions to tap the touchpad in the screenshots now, so hopefully I'll have better luck after upgrading. The enemies have good animation and can be tricky to kill when they start strafing to the side.

    I do find it tricky to use the radar though. I mainly just relied on the sound to let me know where the enemies were coming from because pressing down on the direction pad means that I can't keep moving. Standing still seems to be a recipe for death so I didn't bother using it much.

    I assume that there is no run option due to motion sickness concerns? When the enemies were closing in on me two at a time, it would have been nice to able to move away faster. The teleport option takes a while to cue up so I didn't get the hang of using that as an escape method yet. Is that what it is intended for?

    Well done game! :D
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    fella1 wrote:
    Just played for about 20 minutes before I had to take a phone call. Great game! The controls are very smooth and aiming works well. The graphics are very nice and the sound effects work well also. I never managed to survive the 8 minutes yet, probably because I didn't know how to upgrade the gun. I see the directions to tap the touchpad in the screenshots now, so hopefully I'll have better luck after upgrading. The enemies have good animation and can be tricky to kill when they start strafing to the side.

    I do find it tricky to use the radar though. I mainly just relied on the sound to let me know where the enemies were coming from because pressing down on the direction pad means that I can't keep moving. Standing still seems to be a recipe for death so I didn't bother using it much.

    I assume that there is no run option due to motion sickness concerns? When the enemies were closing in on me two at a time, it would have been nice to able to move away faster. The teleport option takes a while to cue up so I didn't get the hang of using that as an escape method yet. Is that what it is intended for?

    Well done game! :D
    Awesome, thanks for the impressions! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    Movement speed is slow to combat motion sickness, yeah. The teleport is for moving longer distances. It's not really about escaping from danger but more to position yourself and quickly reach the powerup drops. The next build will allow you to speed up the teleport by buying the "capacity" upgrades. Two or three upgrades and you can teleport around like a wizard. I'm trying to make it so you have distinct 'builds', so this would be one of them.

    The motion scanner can get you in a lot of trouble but it is useful for getting an idea where aliens are coming from. I glance at it for split seconds just to get an overview of the battlefield and teleport accordingly. It also shows you how many credits you currently have which is very useful as you get more experienced.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Awesome, looks great and plays great. It's pretty difficult, not frustrating but fun so that it motivates you to come back.When there is one enemy i try to use only the right control stick for aiming but when there are two or i'm in trouble i use the auto lock help.

    This game shows that Samsungs Gamepad is pretty bad for these kind of games or it could be seen as the advanced player modus as it makes the game more difficult ;)
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    HomerS66 wrote:
    Awesome, looks great and plays great. It's pretty difficult, not frustrating but fun so that it motivates you to come back.When there is one enemy i try to use only the right control stick for aiming but when there are two or i'm in trouble i use the auto lock help.

    This game shows that Samsungs Gamepad is pretty bad for these kind of games or it could be seen as the advanced player modus as it makes the game more difficult ;)
    Yeah the gamepad makes it tougher than it should be, the game's much easier on an xbox 360 controller or Moga Pro. The right analogue stick on the Samsung is shocking. There are horizontal / vertical sensitivity and acceleration settings in the menu which could improve things.

    I tend to use the auto-aim most of the time while playing with the Samsung controller. I'd be interested to see if someone can complete the game using only swivelling though (and not the 45 degree ratchet turning).

    I have to say I've only reached the end a few times myself. It can be done though!
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    sfaok wrote:
    Yeah the gamepad makes it tougher than it should be, the game's much easier on an xbox 360 controller or Moga Pro. The right analogue stick on the Samsung is shocking. There are horizontal / vertical sensitivity and acceleration settings in the menu which could improve things.

    I tend to use the auto-aim most of the time while playing with the Samsung controller. I'd be interested to see if someone can complete the game using only swivelling though (and not the 45 degree ratchet turning).

    I have to say I've only reached the end a few times myself. It can be done though!


    I only made it to the blue monsters so far, caught me by surprise, killed one with hellfire but the second one got me, at what time do they appear was i close to the finish line?
    And i always feel naked when i want to upgrade the gun and tap the touchpad and am defenseless during that time. :)
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    HomerS66 wrote:
    I only made it to the blue monsters so far, caught me by surprise, killed one with hellfire but the second one got me, at what time do they appear was i close to the finish line?
    And i always feel naked when i want to upgrade the gun and tap the touchpad and am defenseless during that time. :)
    Blue aliens start to appear about 70% through. Buying stuff has the whole risk/reward thing going on yeah :mrgreen:
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • nilstasticnilstastic Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    This is one of those game I'll try when the jam is over. Right now I do not really want to see something that make my game feel like crap. =)

    (this looks amazing)
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Here's a new APK to download.

    Changes:

    Capacity upgrades now also boost teleport charge speed.
    Added reticule size setting.
    Main menu volume boost.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • keb33509keb33509 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    This is amazing! I had so much fun with it. I love having separation of head from body. Makes it soooo much more immersive and realistic. It's a terrifyingly good time , lol.

    I thought it was butter smooth and didn't experience a single glitch. I think this proves that FPS VR games are possible on a mobile platform.
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Nice work, sfaok. :) I like how the environment is quite a bit larger than just the clearing in front of the crashed ship. Teleporting is really fun (visually and mechanically), and definitely can be used strategically. High watermark to beat!
Sign In or Register to comment.