Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[APK download] Crashland Reborn

13»

Comments

  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    ^^^ thanks drash + keb33509. Very high praise, glad you like it! :D

    Here are some Crashland Reborn tips:
      * Use Hellfire rockets to launch aliens into the air. Killing them when airborne gives double credits. * Damage upgrades boost your pistol damage, rocket damage and explosion force. * Accuracy and damage upgrades applied to the burst fire mode turns it into a beast. * Reload upgrades boosts reload time on pistol and rockets. * Capacity upgrades speed up teleporter charge rate. A few of these and you become a wizard. * Every bullet slows the aliens down equally. Rapid fire mode is good for crowd control. * You want to upgrade as fast as you can, the aliens won't relent. Always keep an eye out for how many credits you have. * Aliens spawn as fast as you kill them. This is an advantage at the start if you know what you're doing, as you can farm them for credits. * Once you have upgraded a few times (e.g. burst-fire wizard), teleport to the aliens and kill them. More spawns mean more credits! * By mid-game you should only really be glancing at your motion scanner to inform strategy. * Credits are also your score, so at some point you should stop upgrading and start racking up those double points!
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Here's a playthrough of the final build for the VRJam!



    Amazing experience these last four weeks - same again next year?! :lol:
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • RazTOORazTOO Posts: 128
    Now this game is ULTRA smooth !!! And my first ever game on GearVR, where I got a scare jump :P These pesky creatures are tricky later on :P
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Here's a DK2 build for those of you without a bluetooth controller!

    http://llyrie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/crashland-reborn-for-oculus-rift-dk2.html
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • mrscratchmrscratch Posts: 15
    I've put a good bit of playtime on this now and I must say there are two issues I have with some of the games mechanics.

    The first one is the way you aim your gun. While it is an interesting concept of controlling your arms with your arms and your head with your head on the GEAR platform the headset itself does something that consoles could only dream of. It gives you a level of precision that rivals a mouse. Not being able to aim with my head is a bit disappointing because I feel I occasionally struggle getting my analog stick to replicate what I feel my virtual arm should be doing which unimmerses me from the game due to hand eye coordination desyncing from visual input. It causes me to think about the flaws of a controller which consistently reminds me that I'm playing a game. Basically when you hear the sound of the aliens scattering around and your motion trackers going off you get sucked into crashlands world and when the aliens starts running sideways it feels like your arm is struggling to keep up, and when you bump up the sensitivity sometimes you overshoot your intended target. It just sucks me back out of the world because I know there is a high level of precision that isn't being utilized. It would be nice if there was a toggle switch that you could hold to make your player's arm follow your head. It would also be alot more immersive if the game used a laser pointer as opposed to the traditional HUD crosshair.

    The second one is the body of your player, It feels like the head is sucked into the chest. When you stand straight up and look down directly at the ground you tend to bend your body a bit so that your shoulders are in your peripheral vision and you can see your chest and feet (at least with the body shape that is presented ingame). I feel the game could be alot more immersive if you simply raised your cameras Z coordinates by a moderate amount and your Y coordinate a small amount. That way when a player looks down at the ground and their shoulders slightly bend over IRL their vision of what their body should look like will match the players body ingame.
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    ^^^ Thanks for the detailed comments.

    On your first point you know you can aim with your head by holding down the left bumper?

    I only really recommend aiming using the right analogue stick if you have a Moga Pro or other high quality gamepad. The game was designed and tested mainly around using the head tracking (left bumper) + Samsung Gamepad. There's a dev diary on the first page of this thread with some explanation of what I was attempting.

    The second point yeah I had some trouble with the avatar body, didn't have time to fix it in the gamejam timeframe. It needs to be raised a few inches. If I remember correctly it behaved differently on the DK2 which is why it wasn't an easy fix.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • mrscratchmrscratch Posts: 15
    sfaok wrote:
    ^^^ Thanks for the detailed comments.

    On your first point you know you can aim with your head by holding down the left bumper?

    I only really recommend aiming using the right analogue stick if you have a Moga Pro or other high quality gamepad. The game was designed and tested mainly around using the head tracking (left bumper) + Samsung Gamepad. There's a dev diary on the first page of this thread with some explanation of what I was attempting.

    The second point yeah I had some trouble with the avatar body, didn't have time to fix it in the gamejam timeframe. It needs to be raised a few inches. If I remember correctly it behaved differently on the DK2 which is why it wasn't an easy fix.


    Ahhh I did not realize that bit about the left bumper. I guess I must have skimmed over the controller image behind you at the start. I'm going to try that out shortly as I only have a Moga so for some reason I just assumed the game controlled like your typical fps console game.

    As for the second part I feel your pain. I started on my project about a week or two before the Jam started and it felt like I had all the time in the world. Then when the last weekend was upon us it really hit home that I was gonna have to strip a few features out in order to get it launched on time. Honestly this whole contest gave me a rather deep appreciation to the whole "when it's done" phrase.


    Edit: Yes the head track aiming made a world of difference. Got significantly further this time around and I must say I was caught off guard... I did not see that coming. :o
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    I am incredibly happy you are working on this game once again. Has to be the best full body experience i've ever tried on DK1 and hydra
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Bugs/suggestions in case this great game gets an release on the Oculus Store somewhen in the future (hopefully):

    - sometimes when i buy upgrades and they fall down, they land at places which i cant reach and therefore are waisted/can decide a game. I know tough luck but still would be nice if there was a way around it. Maybe i can try to shoot them down when they land on the big rock but sometimes i dont even see them anymore.

    - quite a few times after a i got killed, the next round has lost some colours, the planet is blue and the spiders are all black. Not sure if that is Lollipop related or could have happened on Kitkat aswell. The colours return only when i reboot the phone, just restarting the app doesnt help.

    - it would be great that if the overheating/cool down message comes, the game could still be continued (even with throttled performance) as sometimes i was close to the finish line but had to stop after the message came.

    - a voice which tells you every minute how much time is left would be nice, as in the heat of the battles i often don't have time to check the timer or i get killed.
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    Thanks for your response and suggestions, very welcome!
    I am incredibly happy you are working on this game once again. Has to be the best full body experience i've ever tried on DK1 and hydra
    Cheers! Yes can't wait to get my hands on the Touch controllers :twisted:
    HomerS66 wrote:
    Bugs/suggestions in case this great game gets an release on the Oculus Store somewhen in the future (hopefully):

    - sometimes when i buy upgrades and they fall down, they land at places which i cant reach and therefore are waisted/can decide a game. I know tough luck but still would be nice if there was a way around it. Maybe i can try to shoot them down when they land on the big rock but sometimes i dont even see them anymore.
    Yeah it's a dumb system, mortars drop a random distance away from where you currently are. So make sure you are in a clearing before requesting. You can use rocket explosions to bring the powerups to you if out of reach ;)
    HomerS66 wrote:
    - quite a few times after a i got killed, the next round has lost some colours, the planet is blue and the spiders are all black. Not sure if that is Lollipop related or could have happened on Kitkat aswell. The colours return only when i reboot the phone, just restarting the app doesnt help.
    Not see this when developing, as you say might be a Lollipop specific thing.
    HomerS66 wrote:
    - it would be great that if the overheating/cool down message comes, the game could still be continued (even with throttled performance) as sometimes i was close to the finish line but had to stop after the message came.
    Not seen the throttled message on Note 4, interesting. I push the phone pretty hard towards the end when there are 3+ aliens on screen at once.
    HomerS66 wrote:
    - a voice which tells you every minute how much time is left would be nice, as in the heat of the battles i often don't have time to check the timer or i get killed.
    That's definitely something I want to add. It's on the to-do list.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    sfaok wrote:


    HomerS66 wrote:
    - it would be great that if the overheating/cool down message comes, the game could still be continued (even with throttled performance) as sometimes i was close to the finish line but had to stop after the message came.
    Not seen the throttled message on Note 4, interesting. I push the phone pretty hard towards the end when there are 3+ aliens on screen at once.

    Yeh i only get the overheating message after around 20-30 minutes of playing.

    Yay i finally did it and was able to finish it. Those spiders looked pissed when i left the planet ;)
    I could have sworn i had 4700 points but when i looked at the rankings it said i had only 700. Does the rescueing cost money aswell or maybe a bug?
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    HomerS66 wrote:

    Yeh i only get the overheating message after around 20-30 minutes of playing.

    Yay i finally did it and was able to finish it. Those spiders looked pissed when i left the planet ;)
    I could have sworn i had 4700 points but when i looked at the rankings it said i had only 700. Does the rescueing cost money aswell or maybe a bug?
    Awesome - well done! I only got to the end a few times during the gamejam so it wasn't exactly extensively tested. Not sure why your points aren't showing - probably a bug. In general I know the high score system should work though.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
Sign In or Register to comment.