Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

VR JAM - "VR: House of Languages" + APK/Video

13»

Comments

• spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    That looks very cute. A bit of polish and it could be amazing!
    I noticed a lot of the time the word being read out isn't the thing you're looking at (cos you triggered it by glancing over it)
    Easily solved by having a gaze indicator on the middle ring to tell you how long you need to gaze at an object for it to trigger some voiceover. Maybe also keep the name tag up while the voiceover is playing so you know what it is they're talking about.
    There were also a couple of time he asks for something but then reads out something else and then says "great" because of the above problem which makes sense visually but doesn't sound very good in the audio. Maybe make him read out the correct object's name before saying "great" to avoid this disconnect.

This app would be great for children and beginners :)
  • Thank you, spinaljack! Agree with you about feedback, working on updates with all these fixes today.
    Maxim Miheyenko,
    VR Production.

House of Languages: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22268&start=40
    xlarge.png
  • CallezetterCallezetter Posts: 115
    Love the progress! The look, feel and music is really great.
    vrs2.png
    VR Sverige - En svensk nyhetsblogg om allt som rör Virtual Reality!
    http://www.vrsverige.se/
  • Thank you very much, Callezetter! Great to hear your support.

Please our newest APK for your review: https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... nguage.apk

Have fun! ;)
    Maxim Miheyenko,
    VR Production.

xlarge.png
  • Friday Morning Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=getppAS8 ... e=youtu.be

Third location progress, working on textures, Playroom: http://c2n.me/3hmuWmU
    Maxim Miheyenko,
    VR Production.

xlarge.png
  • Oh, it's the game that I need! I want to learn japanese, will you add more languages in next releases? I think that for such languages as japanese, korean, chinese, this approach will be even more useful!
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 291 Oculus Start Member
    Thank you very much, Callezetter! Great to hear your support.

Please our newest APK for your review: https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... nguage.apk

Have fun! ;)

Hi. Your apk clashed with another vr jam game I had installed. It asked me if I was happy to update it or not. I think perhaps you've not changed the com.companyname.app stuff in the settings For android build. I could be wrong. Anyway I got it working by deleting the other vr jam apps first and then installing.

The opening screen Is nice. For me, I wasn't keen on the background floating up and down slightly. There is no point of reference with the blue background so I found it a little tiny bit disorientating. But it's a very minor thing.

Other people have talked about the gaze delay before he announces what you are currently looking at. I think that's a good idea. And the confirmation of the item you select followed by great is another good idea.

I assume the demo ends after the bathroom as I got a blue screen at the end and then nothing?

Some thoughts on how to use this to build retention of the items learnt.

Idea 1. You could give some sort of score. Like you got 12 out of 15 right first time. Great! At the end of each scene.

Idea 2. You could make it a bit harder. So you have the player replay the same scene, but this time you tell them what you want (and display the text e.g. Raincoat???). But this time, do not display any text on the objects as they gaze over them. This should test that they have remembered the correct object for the word given. Rather than simply looking for the matching word.

Idea 3. As they play each scene, any items they do not get correct first time, should be repeated in the scene, effectively a second chance, but by doing this, it is identifying those items your student is struggling with and giving extra tuition on those items.

Idea 4. The was a book he asked for, but a few books on the shelf. Also there were 2 towels. You could introduce colours and sizes into the same scenes quite simply, and this creates even more opportunities to learn.

E.g. Yellow raincoat, blue book, the largest chair. The smallest hair brush.

Idea 5. In those same scenes you could group some objects together, and test their vocabulary further. Through trial and error, people can learn the differences between under, on, behind etc. E.g.

Have a scene where you have 3 red balls. One red ball is under a chair. One red ball is on a different chair, and one is behind a chair. Then you ask then to identify "The red ball on a chair", even if they are not familiar with on, under and behind, they will get it by trial and error. Then when presented the same thing again in a different scene with different objects, they retain that information really well.

I think your app is great with so much potential. Please do not take the above as criticisms. They're not. They are just ideas to build on the app and make it a really strong learning experience. As babies we learn through dynamic immersion, and through trial and error. You're recreating a really natural way to learn language. Big respect to you! Well done.

Oh... and it looks beautiful! Well done.
  • Oh, thank you soo much for this feedback! It is important, because "House of Languages" - long-term project for me.

We cant make score for Application on VR Jam challenge 2015 (because score - it is for Game category), but all other ideas very useful for future updates. Really awesome tips ;)
    Maxim Miheyenko,
    VR Production.

xlarge.png
  • 2 Konstantin: Correct! We will make Korean, Chinese and Japanese in future updates. I cant wait to hear Mr.Woo with these voices.
    Maxim Miheyenko,
    VR Production.

xlarge.png
  • ElvinaElvina Posts: 54
    :shock: Wow!!!!! I just tried it! It’s amazing! So warm and nice atmosphere, good music and fun studying.
    It's something totally different, I'm tired to learn other languages the same way all the time!
    It's great that you are going to expand it with different locations and languages.
    Keep in touch! Very useful App for me!
    Congrats with your project! :D
  • Thanks! ;)

99.9% Done APK Build. Fixed a lot of feedbacks:
    https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... house5.apk

I hope you will like it!
    Maxim Miheyenko,
    VR Production.

xlarge.png
  • EugTankEugTank Posts: 42
    Working really very well. Nice project and wonderful VR adventure for children!
  • nilstasticnilstastic Posts: 140
    Hiro Protagonist
    Excellent work! The graphics are to die for and and the execution of it is impeccable. Enjoyed this a lot (even as an adult). =)
    Amazing VR world for children and...women :) I love this creature Mr.Woo a LOT. Wanna more!
  • EugTankEugTank Posts: 42
    Maxim, my daughter LOVEE Mr.Woo. And wanna more rooms!

It is so cute and amazing VR adventure for wide auditory. Children, beginners, old programmer geek Eugen :)
    One of my favorite in Finalist set!

Maxim, when will be updates for Russian, Korean and another languages..and new locations with cute Mr.Woo?!
  • Thank you very much! Thanks for all your useful feedbacks!

We are so happy to see House of Languages as Bronze Winner!
    We are working on big update for this application. Stay tuned!
    Maxim Miheyenko,
    VR Production.

xlarge.png
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 278
    Art3mis
    I tried this the other day, very good job. Congrats! It looks fantastic.
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR
  • Hello:
    house of languages is free?
    I only have house of languages5, from where to get the other? thanx!!

• jobrickjobrick Posts: 1
    NerveGear

You just gotta love the House of Languages, can’t wait for the Chinese to English to come out, I help a few young kids here in China with their homework, HoL is going to be so popular, fantastic job guys keep at it the world is waiting       

13»