cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the back button as game input for entries

yosun
Honored Guest
Is it permitted to use the back button on the Gear VR device as an input button for vr jam entry apps and games?

(I notice that this usually loads the "go back to Oculus Home" screen in store apps, but as I understand, we are just submitting .apk's for side-loading and not to the store)

For example:
back button = shoot
side touchpad tap = walk forward
(tap held = keep walking forward)
ChallengePost: yosun SMS: 415-77-YOSUN Twitter: @yosun Some old public hacks.
5 REPLIES 5

berlin3d
Honored Guest
I like to know that too. I noticed in the SDK Examples there is a PlatformMenuHandler with an OVRPlatformMenu.cs. This seems not to work in the build though but I did not tyke time to look into it yet. The code seems to handle short klicks and longer holds of the button.

It would me nice to make the short click to lead to our own menu with the option to exit and leave the longer hold of the button directly to exit.
CEOs Pet Software @ceospet

HelloMeow
Explorer
Check out page 84 of the documentation.

In the documentation is says that a long press should bring up the universal menu and a short press should be handled as a back button that could eventually bring up a quit confirm dialog.
VRJam: Hexagon

miroku000
Honored Guest
"KoningStoma" wrote:

In the documentation is says that a long press should bring up the universal menu and a short press should be handled as a back button that could eventually bring up a quit confirm dialog.

Which documentation are you referring to? The entire contents of page 84 of the Oculus Mobile Development Documentation version 0.5.0 says "Revision Released March 31, 2015".

HelloMeow
Explorer
"miroku000" wrote:
"KoningStoma" wrote:

Which documentation are you referring to? The entire contents of page 84 of the Oculus Mobile Development Documentation version 0.5.0 says "Revision Released March 31, 2015".

You're right. I was looking at the 0.4.3 documentation. It's on page 40 for the new one.
VRJam: Hexagon

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, the back button must be used as a "back" action. Meaning to return to a pause menu or quit the game.

If you just want a button, you can use taps on the touchpad.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV