Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[APK] Captain Clark Adventures

OverdriveOverdrive Posts: 43
Brain Burst
edited May 2015 in VR Jam 2015
Here is my main game for this Mobile VR Jam 2015:

Captain Clark Adventures

Captain Clark Adventures is a “look-and-tap” virtual reality adventure game (VR first-person “point-and-click” game like Broken Sword or Monkey Island) where you play through the main character’s eyes in VR.

Settings

In this first episode, you embody Captain Clark, a ship captain in the 1800s, who has been attacked at sea by pirates. The ship’s crew has been decimated. Only the captain has been spared and has been taken prisoner on the pirates’ island. The pirates have gone back out to sea and the captain is now alone in a cage on the beach awaiting the pirates’ return. To survive, he will need to try to escape the island.

The game

The adventure takes place on the pirates’ island in the form of an open world.
You can explore this tropical island by visiting about fifty places where you will have to scout out the terrain, collect and combine objects, and make progress in order to escape.
The game uses a teleportation system to let the user move from place to place around the island.

Details

The game features an auto-save system that seamlessly saves your progress in the adventure.
The user interface is reduced to a minimum to provide the most immersive experience possible.
The game doesn’t require a gamepad to play. A gamepad can be used in place of the touchpad (Button 1 instead of tapping).
The game is best experienced in a swivel chair (360° experience).
It takes around 1 hour to complete the adventure (average time from playtest sessions).

Technology

The game uses the Mandala engine, which is a “look-and-tap VR adventure” innovative game engine for the Gear VR developed especially for this event and which works on top of Unity3D.
Mandala brings stunning visuals and complex scenes to Gear VR, creating a deeply immersive virtual reality universe.
Thanks to Mandala, Captain Clark Adventures can display advanced graphics while running at a steady 60fps for hours on end without overheating the phone or draining the battery too quickly, meaning players can play for longer.
Mandala also ensures a very high comfort level for users by avoiding any situations that may cause motion sickness, thus providing players with a truly pleasant and refined experience even if they’ve never used VR before.
Captain Clark Adventures provides full stereoscopic environment and runs at 60FPS with a fixed CPU level set to 1 and a fixed GPU level set to 0.

Video

The presentation video is divided into two parts. The first minute of video is the trailer, and the rest is gameplay captured within the GearVR.

Come explore the pirates’ island and dive into an epic, enthralling adventure for the Gear VR!

xlarge.png
xlarge.png

I worked a lot on this project since the beginning of this Jam and I have now an alpha version which runs at 60fps in the GearVR (still a lot of work to do... :-))
I will show you the game in action in a GearVR video soon.

here is my ChallengePost page : http://challengepost.com/software/captain-clark-adventures
NexeVRLogoTwitter1.jpg

Comments

• AnticlericAnticleric Posts: 525 Oculus Start Member
    Looks too good to be true! I'm scared. lol
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    this looks fantastic for a mobile platform! looking forward to giving it a try :)
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • ricard2798ricard2798 Posts: 432
    Hiro Protagonist
    that looks awesome!

forgive me asking... but are those shots from a running build in a galaxy note 4? If so. I think we got a winner :)

If mandala (the engine you mention) can do this... i am almost certain that you might be getting a call from oculus to just sell them the technology :)
  • OverdriveOverdrive Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Anticleric wrote:
    Looks too good to be true! I'm scared. lol
    Why scared. :-) Your VRJam project looks really impressive too!
    Gerald wrote:
    this looks fantastic for a mobile platform! looking forward to giving it a try :)
    Thanks Gerald, I also really love your entry!
    ricard2798 wrote:
    that looks awesome!
    forgive me asking... but are those shots from a running build in a galaxy note 4? If so. I think we got a winner :)
    Those shots are from the mobile OVRCam in the Unity editor because I didn't managed to take in-game screenshots with the GearVR. I made a script for that but the saved files are completly black.
    Despite this, it looks exactly the same in the GearVR. I will make a video taken from the GearVR as soon possible to show you the game.
    NexeVRLogoTwitter1.jpg
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    After looking through the entries yesterday, this was one of those were i was impressed how it looked. There are some others aswell (like Comawake, Epic of Kings), where i thought, no way the final built will look like the used screenshots and will be running on the Note 4 and if it would for how long, till it throttles. ;)
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    Looks very good! I take it its kinda like Myst, the graphics pre rendered for each location, the VR should work well instead of a mouse to look around for objects.
    Good luck finishing the game.
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2015

Here is the video. Game trailer + in-headset Gear VR raw footage at the end.
    NexeVRLogoTwitter1.jpg
    Brain Burst
    Hey Guys,

Captain Clark Adventures is available.
    I am waiting for your feedbacks!
    I want to know what do you think about my Mandala engine.
    If you enjoy the game, like it on ChallengePost, please! :D

Thank you!

http://challengepost.com/software/captain-clark-adventures

(If you're stuck in the adventure, send me a private message here)
    NexeVRLogoTwitter1.jpg
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    Hi, very good first impressions! I only played for 10 mins as so much to play atm, but i got out of the cage, will play more later! Very good though, nice engine, as someone said its like Myst without a mouse!
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
    Brain Burst
    Jaycee900 wrote:
    ...as someone said its like Myst without a mouse!

I think this "someone" was you! :D

Thank you for your comment!
    NexeVRLogoTwitter1.jpg