Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[APK] Dogfight Elite VR

creat326creat326 Posts: 84
edited May 2015 in VR Jam 2015
Hi

You can get the apk from the page
http://challengepost.com/software/dogfight-elite-vr

Uploaded a screen recording of the game. It goes really slow because the adb command slows it drastically but I hope it shows how it looks :)

Updated youtube link!

Comments

• creat326creat326 Posts: 84
    Uploaded a screen recording of the game. It goes really slow because the adb command slows it drastically but I hope it shows how it looks :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4hey4oK2qQ
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    Hi, great game! Loved the intro movie! The game plays well too, good graphics, the only negative is the framerate isnt as high as id like esp with VR any judder causes motion sickness. It isnt too bad dont get me wrong, maybe cut back on draw distance, rather that and have slightly smoother game.

Good luck btw.
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
    Thanks for the input.

Yeah I was debating with that too. The problem is actually the terrain. It's using Unity terrain engine which is not very optimized for mobile. I was debating whether to just use a mesh but then it looked very "meh".
    Unity mentioned they will release an updated terrain system and I was hoping (praying) they would do it in time for this jam, but... my bad. At the end I decided to leave it with lower fps but higher detail because I tested it on a Samsung s6 and it runs hyper fast... and I'm already thinking about the future :)

One trick you can do to make it faster is to go into settings/graphics and remove the detailed water. You would get 7 to 15fps in there in exchange for having low detailed water as a plain texture.
    creat326 wrote:
    Thanks for the input.

Yeah I was debating with that too. The problem is actually the terrain. It's using Unity terrain engine which is not very optimized for mobile. I was debating whether to just use a mesh but then it looked very "meh".
    Unity mentioned they will release an updated terrain system and I was hoping (praying) they would do it in time for this jam, but... my bad. At the end I decided to leave it with lower fps but higher detail because I tested it on a Samsung s6 and it runs hyper fast... and I'm already thinking about the future :)

One trick you can do to make it faster is to go into settings/graphics and remove the detailed water. You would get 7 to 15fps in there in exchange for having low detailed water as a plain texture.
    Ok thanks will try that!
    nvm, there is a bug that will reset the water to the default one upon loading the game so it won't work.
    I also found another mistake on the tank (it was working 5 hours ago just fine!!!) I added a 0 to a float by mistake and it is rotated 90 degrees on the Y instead of 9 degrees on the Z... that happens making changes on the last few minutes before the deadline lol

Anyway, although I can' do updates on the contest I'll post fixes and updates on this thread on a dropbox if the rules allow for it (I believe they do right?) so anyone that downloads it can keep updating with corrections.
    Anyone knows if we can update the page without getting disqualified now? I don't want to change the build link, just add some descriptions.
    Not sure, i see a couple have left the link to the newest apk in the latest comments section.
    Hi there!

Update is here with several fixes!

- Recompiled with Unity 5.0.2 which includes many bug fixes in game.
    - By default now the water is pretty basic. The cooler water has been removed. The reason is that there is a random bug where lighting on the terrain and textures turned grey with the cooler water. Unity should fix this in a couple weeks but until then I decided to replace the water. If you don't mind the bug, you can turn the cool water back on on settings/graphics/detailed water.
    - The camera on the tank is now working correctly.
    - The bomb camera is better now. You won't see through.
    - Improved many of the cockpits.
    - Many other small bugs reported on your feedback. Thanks!

The updated apk can be downloaded at:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/434 ... telite.apk

For next update:
    - I will focus on improving all cockpits and adding all the World War II airplanes.
    Was playing this last night! Thanks for the updated version, will turn the water off and give it a spin later!
    Some update and info about the future of Dogfight Elite VR:

The new update, usual you can get it at:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/434 ... telite.apk

Improvements:
    - Much better frame rate. I think it's close to 60fps now.
    - Redesigned from scratch the Fokker E.III. A whole new cockpit with much more details!

Now... Dogfight Elite VR did not classify as a finalist on this contest and I do need some funding to complete it. So what now?

Well, I will continue working on it, the problem is that instead of a 1 more month release I was aiming for... it may be 1 year or more to actually see the whole thing done. Just to give you an idea of all things I need to work through to have the complete version:

- Remove all connection with Dogfight 1. I kept the network protocol compatible during this contest so that people could play multiplayer, but Dogfight Elite is a whole new version with more tanks, and over 20 more airplanes from World War II. It's not compatible with Dogfight so once this contest is fully over, the network will be officially split.

- Yes, you've read right. I have to model 20 more airplanes. Some from WWI like this one I'm already working on:

but many many more from World War II

- That means new mission types. That airplane for example is a two seats bomber. That means adding missions that allow players to sit on the same airplane and combine those with big bombing raid while others protect them. Then the tanks will have to attack from the ground while the airplanes on the sky will need to protect the tanks and the bombers and... you get the whole idea. Cooooo! :)

- Way better, cooler sound fx all over the game.

- Custom paint jobs! Yes, I want people to be able to paint their airplanes because there is a great unknown artist hidden in you!

- Squadrons combat! This will take a while to develop. Right now you can join a squadron but that's just basically a group of friends. The idea is to also allow for a squadron ranking a squadrons vs squadrons fights. Adding to that custom personalized insignias, a dedicated forum section per squadron and massive airplane online combats!

I hope that gave you an idea on what I'm working on and why I'm trying to get some funding. I want to speed up the process because right now it's only me working on the game.

I'll keep you posted during the process.
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    If you are looking for funding the the EU you can try http://www.goldfinchentertainment.com/projects/

They mostly do films but are branching out to games. You can get upwards of £150k for a percentage revenue split.
    Their clients get a tax break for investing so it's a win-win for them which is why funding is more readily available than say through a publisher. Much more reliable than trying to win money in a competition.

Also try contacting Oculus and other publishers as they are all looking for more VR content.

Like you say, giving up a small amount of revenue for funding could speed up development by a year or more so it's worth doing.

If you don't want to bother with writing a pitch or running a financial vehicle I know someone who can handle that for you as well.
    Hi, just tried your latest build and it comes up 'closed unexpectedly' im Note 4 snapdragon kitkat.
    that's weird. That's exactly the same device I use for development.
    Does the not latest build fails there too?
    creat326 wrote:
    Yeah just tried that too and get the same, prob cause be the sig tool turned off now?
  • spire8989spire8989 Posts: 337
    Hiro Protagonist
    Jaycee900 wrote:
    creat326 wrote:
    Yeah just tried that too and get the same, prob cause be the sig tool turned off now?

Yeah, I'm confused how you'd be making new builds without the tool.
    yep, I've just see the same problem. So I can build the apk but it will run only on my device. That's pretty crappy for fixes/updates :(

What worries me more is that you said the original apk from the project site doesn't load any more. That would be real bad because there are 5 more days for the public vote and people can't download them to test? :?
    creat326 wrote:

What worries me more is that you said the original apk from the project site doesn't load any more. That would be real bad because there are 5 more days for the public vote and people can't download them to test? :?

No i meant the latest two updates on this thread don't work, the original build on the Jam site still works....

Dang i was hoping to test that speedup!

I know you want to get loads of aircraft in there, but what about polishing the app and getting it out on the store either for A) free with 1 aircraft and couple of missions and in-game purchases or B) for say $2.99 and a few aircraft and a few missions, but after continue to get the full release as you say will take a year or so to complete it all but which time you might move on to another platform! Just ideas....i would gladly pay $2.99 for a faster build with a couple of aircraft and 10 or so missions.
    yeah the updated apk is almost double the frame rate and I've fixed tons of things as you can see on my Updates on the project. It sucks nobody can see them, so I'm stopping working on it until the contest is over or the signature tool is reactivated.

About the project... we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking of taking 1 week vacation to release all the stress and then see.
    If you want to send me your osig file I can add it so you can test the build. Just send it to me at [email protected]
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Oculus doesnt recommend that people send out their user osig file because of reasons?

But people could sign the (unsigned) apks themselves with the injector tool by skyworxx.

http://www.sideloadvr.com/
    I didn't know that site, great idea... but it didn't work for me. I've tried all kind of things for the past 30 minutes without any luck.
  • SvenVikingSvenViking Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    Just mentioning in case it helps: The EXE "with marketplace" version crashed for me, but the commandline version worked. The framerate in the latest Dogfight Elite APK seemed pretty reasonable to me.
    Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux)
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    thanks, i'll give that a try. Is there a way to sign it for everyone to download and test or it has to be per device always?
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    I followed the steps back then on the following thread, i had to do most of it only once and now i only need to take the unsigned apk put it in the folder and start a comand line and it gets signed for me to use on the Gear VR.
    The link for the injector tool in the thread doesnt seem to work anymore but it shouldbe the same on sideloadVr as it's from the same guy.

viewtopic.php?t=18616
  • SvenVikingSvenViking Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    creat326 wrote:
    thanks, i'll give that a try. Is there a way to sign it for everyone to download and test or it has to be per device always?
    Per device.
    Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux)
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op