Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[Silver] Scorched Battalion - new APK + DK2 Win/Mac/Linux+S6

SvenVikingSvenViking Posts: 298
Art3mis
edited June 2015 in VR Jam 2015
Update: v0.6 APK download (now works on S6). DK2 versions for Windows, Mac and Linux (Mac version untested).

---

Scorched Battalion is a comical turn-based strategy game in the tradition of classic artillery games, but with tiny tanks fighting on a wargaming table. It uses randomly-generated maps with deformable terrain, and features work by voice actors including Richard Newman (Street Fighter, Dragonball Z etc.) Plus some surprises.

xlarge.png
xlarge.png
xlarge.png
Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux)
Jungle Juice
Sven Co-op

Comments

• spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    Wow, not what I thought it was at first at all.
    VO and animations are funny as hell.
    The room feels a bit small though like the door is 60 cm high and I'm a tiny toddler (which actually might be the case given these are tabletop toy tanks)

Really well done, looking forward to the full version.
  • SvenVikingSvenViking Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to hopefully making a full version, also.

About scale: I had some difficulty deciding on how to handle the camera height. The trouble is, the camera needs to be fairly high and close to the table to give you a good view of the battlefield. Moving the table too low or close made it feel like your knees should be clipping through it, and sometimes affected the perception of scale in itself since you generally expect a table to be a certain height. The second problem is that if things are positioned well for seated play, everything looks huge when you play standing up. Also note that the Gear VR has no player height or IPD settings, so there's some variation between players.

With some more time for experimentation I expect it could be further improved. Positional tracking would also largely solve both problems, since you'd be able to lean to see around hills and the game would know if you stood up.

I guess I'll take this chance to post the newer video, by the way. The second half contains some pretty major spoilers, though (and it's missing some things that were added in a mad panic in the hours before the deadline). I strongly recommend that people just try the game for themselves, if possible -- it only lasts about twice as long as the video. I hope to release a Rift version before too long, though I'm not sure whether to release it as-is or try to finish some of the things we ran out of time for, first.

Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux)
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    SvenViking wrote:
    I hope to release a Rift version before too long, though I'm not sure whether to release it as-is or try to finish some of the things we ran out of time for, first.

I'd release it right away as it's pretty damn good already and would get more people interested without Gear VRs.
    Art3mis
    Yeah, that sounds like good advice. I'll see if I can get a few of the more important missing sound effects in, do some testing and maybe release it tonight if things go well.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
  • ThisisdanzoThisisdanzo Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Very tight gameplay, and nice animations/flow. I'd like text instructions as well as vocal ones (visual learner). I also thought the launch VOs were a bit long, and I didn't really understand the context at first (I think the tanks were talking to each other?). Adding a character avatar near the tank when they're speaking might clear that up.
    Galaxy Grapple - GearVR, no gamepad
    Art3mis
    Thanks! Out of interest, what form would you most like or expect the written instructions to take? E.g. floating subtitles, a way to display them on the clipboard, or a readme or manual outside of the game? The poster on the far wall provides a few limited context-sensitive text tips, by the way.

Yeah, the tanks are pretty-much always talking :). Our intention was to keep all the UI in-world (beams of light notwithstanding) and take advantage of spatialised audio to allow people to tell who was speaking. There's also a visual effect for speakers, though it's pretty subtle, and they often move their turrets. In a future version I'd like to move the turrets in sync with the amplitude of the voice sample, similar to fake lip-syncing in games like Half-Life.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,951 Valuable Player
    This looks very nice, well done!
    SvenViking wrote:
    Thanks! Out of interest, what form would you most like or expect the written instructions to take?

Maybe speech bubbles would pop out of the tanks that are talking with the option to turn them off.
    Art3mis
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I was actually intending to use something like that without voicing, when first planning the game, but then my brother managed to get hold of some pretty impressive voice actors.

Just about to upload the DK2 version.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    edited May 2015
    DK2 version (Edit: Updated to SDK 0.6.0)

I'll see about getting a Mac version compiled.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    SDK 0.6.0 DK2 builds for Windows, Mac and Linux are now available on http://scorchedbattalion.com . Mac and Linux versions are untested.

I hear official Linux and Mac support has been (temporarily?) dropped, but OS X bundles and a Linux .so are still included in the 0.6.0 Unity integration package, and someone earlier said they were able to play something compiled with 0.6.0 using the 0.5.0.1 runtime, so it seems to me that it's worth testing.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    Apparently the earlier Linux build didn't have sound as the Oculus Audio Spatializer plugin doesn't support Linux, so I bypassed that and I'm told the new version works without problems. Download links on the website have been updated.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Wow I'm so blown away by this. This game has a LOT more going for it than I expected. Voted and looking forward to more! :)

I'm glad you made a DK2 version as the APK for this is one of many that didn't work on my device. I'm guessing the positional tracking is a nice bonus given all the little stuff to look at.... and that thing...sadlfkjsadlsadfasdff!!
    Art3mis
    Thanks Drash! Really happy to hear that!

Not so happy to hear the APK's not working though :p. It worked for some other people, so hopefully it'll work for the judges I guess. Would you be able to tell me the device model and Android version, and what problem occurs when you try to install or run it, for future reference?
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Neo
    SvenViking wrote:
    Not so happy to hear the APK's not working though :p. It worked for some other people, so hopefully it'll work for the judges I guess. Would you be able to tell me the device model and Android version, and what problem occurs when you try to install or run it, for future reference?
    I just installed it again to confirm, and it worked this time. I'm not sure what happened before, maybe it's right on the edge resource-usage-wise? I'm on Snapdragon Note 4 + Lollipop. Sorry for the false-ish alarm!

The pen and clipboard UI is awesome btw. Really works well both with and without positional tracking.
    Art3mis
    OK, excellent! Thanks again.

I'm wondering if there would be a good way to automatically reposition the clipboard without making it more annoying in some circumstances. For example, if when you look too far from it, it moves so it's just outside your view. In the worst case, I could just have pressing the back button while not looking at the clipboard bring the clipboard to where you're looking, perhaps.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Neo
    SvenViking wrote:
    OK, excellent! Thanks again.

I'm wondering if there would be a good way to automatically reposition the clipboard without making it more annoying in some circumstances. For example, if when you look too far from it, it moves so it's just outside your view. In the worst case, I could just have pressing the back button while not looking at the clipboard bring the clipboard to where you're looking, perhaps.
    Maybe. I think if you plan to put this on the Oculus Store at some point, keep in mind that there are guidelines for how the Back button is to be used, though. I believe the guideline goes something like this: "The back button should be used to return to the "previous" level of UI "hierarchy", and then at the top level, it should be prompting the user to quit (or just going to the built-in prompt to return to Oculus Home). So basically, the player shouldn't have to think about how to quit -- if they keep pressing the back button they should eventually see the prompt to return to Oculus Home.

Maybe long-touch on the touchpad instead?
    Art3mis
    Ah, yeah, thanks! I was thinking about the long-press-back-for-home-menu requirement but had forgotten about the back-to-exit requirement.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    Scorched Battalion was just featured in RoadToVR's "Best of the Oculus Mobile VR Jam".
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    Relieved and excited to find that we're in the finals.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    I loved the demo! reminded me of a VR Scorched Tanks! Really professional looking and presented. The humour was great too!

Btw i wasn't keen on the real time shoot the spider part, yes it was funny, but i hope the full game will be just a turn based game, with options for a real time blast weird things for those who like that! :lol:
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
    Art3mis
    Thanks! Yeah, in a full game it would mostly be normal artillery gameplay, with occasional unexpected events in certain single-player levels. (I'd also consider the possibility of an optional crazy multiplayer mode, but there'd need to be enough active players to reasonably allow it to be split it into modes.) There'd likely be a custom skirmish mode without anything unusual, too.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 279
    Art3mis
    Hey,

I just tried your VR Jam entry tonight and had to go and vote for you. You seriously made my evening that much better, so awesome. I'm curious what "Scorched Tanks" is because for me it reminded me of Scorched Earth, the old DOS game. I loved that game so much! Great job, I hope you guys win something! I'm happy you are a finalist, you definitely deserve it.

Also, your username reminded me of "Sven Coop" and I googled really quick... Are you seriously the Sven Coop guy? I seriously used to play Sven Coop non-stop back when it first came out and it was a buggy awesome beta. I loved it SO MUCH. The website says 2003, but there's no way, I'm positive I played it in 2002 as a buggy beta from Fileplanet. Those were back in the days where it was a luxury still to have cable internet and I had just gotten it.

You brought back so many memories! Scorched Earth! Sven coop, Team Fortress Classic clan battles, man such a good night. Thanks man!

Edit: just checked your site again, I am thinking it was earlier than 2002 I played Sven coop. I think it was 1999 actually. I had so much fun playing the single player maps of original half-life. It was the best! I was in grade 9 at the time haha, so good. Were you ever in a TFC clan? Ours was "New Canadian Power" NCP. lol :) Cheers man!
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR
    Art3mis
    Thanks dignifiedweb! Glad you enjoyed it.

Scorched Tanks was the Commodore Amiga clone of Scorched Earth.

Yeah, the earliest version of Sven Co-op was released in January 1999, about two months after Half-Life. It's probably the failed Sven Co-op 2 (for HL2) that was first announced in 2003.

I was never in a TFC clan (not sure I've been in any clan since Action Quake 2, actually), though I did beta test it.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    Sven coop 2, right! I had so many funny moments with Sven Coop, thanks man again! The elevator scene near the beginning of half-life would always tweak out if the connection was bad, serves me right trying to play on 56K modems haha, good times!

Tweak out in a good way, it was really funny.
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR
    Art3mis
    edited June 2015
    The APK submitted to the VR Jam didn't work on the Samsung Galaxy S6. With testing help from WannabeTesla I managed to track down the problem.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    Scorched Battalion just won Silver in the VR Jam (!!). There's a new APK on the project page that adds Galaxy S6 support, some minor features and many tweaks and bugfixes.
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    Art3mis
    Congrats! You deserve it! :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Nice job!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Art3mis
    Thanks! Now we just need to start expanding it. Still haven't quite fully recovered from the VR Jam to be honest :).
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op