Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[WIP] Shamania, a n00bs attempt at a VR game

dnhkngdnhkng Posts: 37
Brain Burst
edited May 2015 in VR Jam 2015
OK, I've now got almost 3 weeks of Unity 5 and C# experience under my belt, and I have my first shiny new APK. What I don't have is a Gear VR.

The puzzle game working like this:

You activate puzzles in your world, which appear as a cloud or random lights.
Ji94XNh.png

As you turn your head, the could of lights reacts, and forms new shapes:
uyFGtz7.png

If you get your head angles "just right", you find a pattern in the noise, and activate a spell, which alters your surroundings:
0vg6C1w.png

Anyway, thats the idea. I hope you think its a good one. The main benefits are:
A seated, none moving experience (less chance of discomfort)
Unusual, but fun game mechanics
Interesting game world

Could someone with a GearVR test my pre-alpha-'proof-of-pricipal' first build? It was built on Unity 5.0.0f4, but I can't get my scene running well on Unity 4 so its this or nothing.

https://mega.co.nz/#!4A4wnCoI!W0NXAH99N ... LXuGMDWTEo

I would like to know if it:

a) runs at all
b) the puzzle mechanism starts (look at the mushrooms near the campfire)
c) do you have any suggestions or criticism? (go easy, its my very first game)

I just have a few days left for my entry, and a ton of work! Please let me know ASAP :D

-David

Comments

• BinoBino Posts: 112
    Hiro Protagonist
    I see the unity splash screen - although it goes off the screen. Music starts and then it's just black. Tapping, sliding, swiveling and head movements doesn't show anything.
  • dnhkngdnhkng Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Looks like I'm hitting this Unity 5 GLES 2.0 and AndroidManifest.xml issue, which seems to cause this bug. I'll try and google the bug, but its not a nice thing for beginners :(
    Brain Burst
    OK, here is a new build :D :
    https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... amania.apk

I *really* hope this one works. sooooooo low on time.....

-waits patiently for a GearVR owner... :shock:
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 297 Oculus Start Member
    dnhkng wrote:
    OK, here is a new build :D :
    https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... amania.apk

I *really* hope this one works. sooooooo low on time.....

-waits patiently for a GearVR owner... :shock:
    Hi there,

I'm sorry to report that this new build has the same problem Bino was having. Unity splash screen then music and blackness.

I will be checking back over the weekend downloading and testing if I see people without a Gearvr posting apKs for testing.

Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough with developing in Unity to be able to suggest what fix you need for this. But feel free to pm me or keep posting apKs here And I'll test them when I can unless others beat me to It.
    Brain Burst
    Damn...

It works if I build it for windows or mac, so its a mobile SDK issue. Without a GearVR, it looks like all my effort in the VR Jam will be wasted :cry:

If anyone has advice for me, I'de be really happy to hear it.

[EDIT]
    I'm using the standard settings, with Unity 5.0.0f4, mobile sdk 0.5.1. I've changed the Player settings to use Gl ES 2.0, and edited the AndroidManifest.xml to 2000

After reading this, (viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22841) I've just now turned off all cast and received shadows, and lightprobes, and made sure everything is set to static. Light maps are currently off, but I will bake them in and upload the APK when its done.

Here's the new one for testing!
    https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... tBaked.apk
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 297 Oculus Start Member
    dnhkng wrote:
    Damn...

It works if I build it for windows or mac, so its a mobile SDK issue. Without a GearVR, it looks like all my effort in the VR Jam will be wasted :cry:

If anyone has advice for me, I'de be really happy to hear it.

[EDIT]
    I'm using the standard settings, with Unity 5.0.0f4, mobile sdk 0.5.1. I've changed the Player settings to use Gl ES 2.0, and edited the AndroidManifest.xml to 2000

After reading this, (viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22841) I've just now turned off all cast and received shadows, and lightprobes, and made sure everything is set to static. Light maps are currently off, but I will bake them in and upload the APK when its done.

Here's the new one for testing!
    https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... tBaked.apk
    Same issue with this build. Black screen and music after the unity splash. You could try creating a separate thread here, with a title of urgent help needed, I'm sure someone will have some idea.

I do seem to recall this happening to me when I was tinkering with my own Gearvr project. If I recall correctly it was something to do with the player settings like you say. But I'm afraid my knowledge is severely limited and I'm sure there are better qualified people to point you in the right direction.
  • BinaryBinary Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Hey David,

Im in a similar situation like you, developing without the Hardware and with mallmagician testing my build (thanks again!) and just wanted to say: please don't give up!

- It'ts probably not the opengl setting, that should be 3.0 (at least works for me). And i force 3.0 in the player settings. I also attached my AndroidManifest for reference.
    - Did you replace your ProjectSettings folder with the one that's coming with the SDK?
    - If you have a Android phone you app should run there as well!
    - Seems like you had a lot going on there, keep your drawcalls below 100 and triangles below 100k

I hope you can narrow down what went wrong.
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the advice. I'm using GL ES 2.0, because that's whats recommended for unity 5. Is that what you are using?

Unfortunately, I only have an old iPhone 4, so its useless for testing.

My drawcalls and triangles are below the recommended limits, so its not that.

-Dave
  • BinaryBinary Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    I use Unity 5.
    Brain Burst
    New builds ready to try!

https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... aniaV1.apk

Please let me know if there are any show-stopping bugs!
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    Hi i tested this earlier so its not your latest build u just posted, but runs fine, nice gfx relaxing! But i couldnt work out wgat to do! The light thing behind me swirls around lol maybe a intro screen to give players help to show them what to do?
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
    Brain Burst
    thanks! I'm cross posting everywhere, but:

I'm still having trouble getting my Build working (although its fine on Mac/PC). The game starts OK, but when you look down to activate a glowing Rune, the game crashes. I am now trying to build on my Mac, maybe that will help too.
    I have made a series of builds, stripping out assets that are instantiated when the rune is activated, so that I can find out which is causing the problems. :D

Could someone please test them, and let me know if any of them work? When you look down, you should see a new puzzle made of a cloud of particles appear in front of you.

EDIT: links deleted, they are still buggy

Please let me know which work, and which don't so I can narrow down the issue!