Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

extension

GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
Nexus 6
edited May 2015 in VR Jam 2015
Hi,

I must say it is quite annoying - I am on a super slow internet connection as it is the fastest available where I live. And I was not able to upload and sign. Now I can, but turns out my build just quits. So now I have to wait over an hour to download the new SDK (as it is like the source of the problem) and then upload again.

But if anything goes wrong I won't be able to submit after a 40h no sleep crunch right before I uploaded it the first time.

You guys really should be a bit nicer to those not having a superspeed internet connection ... or tell us right at the start "do not apply".

I actually had hoped to get one more optimization step in, but now all I can do is bughunt. :(
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

Comments

• GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    and just saying (as I said it before) ... having an 800mb version of something that could be 10 is spitting in the face of us slow internet users ... right now it is just ... :evil:
  • nilstasticnilstastic Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Do you think it would be possible for someone else to upload and sign the APK? I got 100/100 so i could try and get it signed for you.
    Nexus 6
    thank you, that is a very kind offer. but not really as it would still require me to upload it and that stays slow. I just hope that I won't have any more failed uploads ... those really eat at your nerves in a jam.

"yeah I develop for the Note, it is so nice to have something where I can be sure it runs the same for everyone" :lol:
  • branditosonbranditoson Posts: 60
    Sorry all - there isn't much of an extension. The build signing bug seems to be resolved, and hopefully you are able to get it uploaded soon. In case it helps, you may get a couple of extra hours due to the CP build link issues.

We just sent out an update giving an alternative method of providing the link to your signed APK: http://vrjam.challengepost.com/updates/ ... submission
    If you are affected by this issue, here is an additional option to submit your build - email the following to [email protected]:
    == A link to your submission page
    == A link to your latest globally-signed APK
    Given the late notice, we will give you up to two hours after the original deadline to send us your build link via this method; emails need to be sent by May 11 11:00am PT.
  • nilstasticnilstastic Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Gerald wrote:
    "yeah I develop for the Note, it is so nice to have something where I can be sure it runs the same for everyone" :lol:

One platform to rule them all =)
    Let me know if there is anything else i can do to help.
    Nexus 6
    branditoson I'll be honest - those 2 hours don't hurt, but to people with a bigger build it is pretty pointless. given that it took until today for you guys to enable the global signing for many and they now have to iterate with hours of upload on each try it is a bit of a joke.

2 hours is barely enough for me to build a change and upload it to the global signing site.

I can only imagine how someone with a build twice my size and a similar connection must feel now ...
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    Gerald wrote:
    and just saying (as I said it before) ... having an 800mb version of something that could be 10 is spitting in the face of us slow internet users ... right now it is just ... :evil:

I totally understand this sentiment :evil:
    Nexus 6
    spinaljack wrote:
    Gerald wrote:

I totally understand this sentiment :evil:

1556kb ... less than 2mb ... that is the size of the Unity integration package. That was all I needed, but I had to wait over an hour to download 800mb instead. This is wrong for a lot of reasons ... having wasted a ton of bandwidth and energy is just one, having wasted a ton of time is almost worse today.
  • miketuckermiketucker Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wait, why do you need the latest SDK anyway? the 0.50 should be fine right?
    Developer of VRJam submission: Tana Pura
  • miketuckermiketucker Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    My build with 0.50 worked fine. Maybe this would help (quoted from the VRjam newsletter mail):

Issue: Old versions of the SDK enabled the entitlement check by default, which causes a crash when side-loading the build. This will be a problem for all judges and the community.
    Try this - either:
    1) Upgrade the SDK to the latest version, OR
    2) Remove the entitlement check: Select Edit > Project Settings > Player. In the PlayerSettings window, select the Android icon and expand the Other Settings tab. In the Scripting Define Symbols field, remove USE_ENTITLEMENT_CHECK if present.
    Developer of VRJam submission: Tana Pura
    Nexus 6
    yeah - funny thing, in my case I used something even older. so instead of removing "use..." I needed to add "INHIBIT_ENTITLEMENT_CHECK" ... (thanks to Drash for the advice). and I have a working version now.

now I will upload a version with the 051 and see if that works, as the old one does not run on lollipop and only kitkat
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 279
    Art3mis
    I don't know if it's for sure true, but I heard that google ships hard-drives with huge amounts of data through Fed Ex because it's cheaper and faster still. If I would have seen this sooner, I would have extracted the file zip and sent you the package you needed. Hope this works out for you soon! I wanted to try your game out! Good luck!
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR