Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Tactera - A Holographic Tabletop RTS

EMcNeillEMcNeill Posts: 158
Art3mis
edited June 2015 in VR Jam 2015

Tactera is a simple RTS that takes place on a virtual holographic tabletop. It's basically a love letter to the original Command & Conquer. :D

Contest page: http://challengepost.com/software/tactera

If you get a chance to try it out, please let me know what you thought!

Comments

• nilstasticnilstastic Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    This looks awesome! Please let someone else win for a change =)

(I'll play in a few days, got some work things to take car of first, as well as neglected children)

(and yes, I'm wearing my VR Jam 2013 t-shirt when writing this)
  • jamesscottjamesscott Posts: 24
    Super slick, nice job!
    2013 Jam Project - [Finalist] Dragon: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =51&t=3855
    2015 Jam Project - [Bronze Prize] Atop the Wizard's Tower: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23171&p=269384#p269384
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    Really enjoyed this game though I felt like a toddler poking my head over up on to the big boy's table.
    Some viewpoint options would be nice.
    Too bad there's no multiplayer in the demo, would have been fun.
  • EMcNeillEMcNeill Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    Thanks!

Yeah, getting the player perspective right is a tough thing when you don't have positional tracking. If the camera is too low, it's hard to see all of the action. Too high, and you're forced to look down at an uncomfortable angle. If it's too close, you strain the player's eyes. Too far away, and you reduce the cool factor of the 3D effect. It was a tough balancing act! But I'm mostly happy with the final result. :)

There is a sitting/standing toggle, which slightly changes your height relative to the table, but it mostly changes the position of the floor.
  • SgtHybridSgtHybrid Posts: 13
    Ready to buy NOW!!! I'm a huge RTS fan and this will get added to my library. Well Done. :D
  • nilstasticnilstastic Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    I agree that some other view positions would be nice (sometimes it felt like things were in my mouth) but all in all a very nice entry. The graphics looks great and the whole thing had a very polished feel to it. Playing the game went well, but i found myself quickly looking back and forth until my neck got a but tired, but another view option (with a 4k screen maybe?) would make this a non-issue.

All in all, well done. I really enjoyed it (until my girlfriend tapped me on the gear because she wanted to try telescopic again).. =)
  • ThisisdanzoThisisdanzo Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    What are your batch/tris for this scene? Very impressed with the feel. I didn't think stationary player games would be that exciting, but this is great.
    Galaxy Grapple - GearVR, no gamepad
    Art3mis
    What are your batch/tris for this scene? Very impressed with the feel. I didn't think stationary player games would be that exciting, but this is great.

I had about 30-75 draw calls and about 35k-60k triangles per eye, depending on how many units were out on the field at any given time.
  • YorickYorick Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    We have been hearing about tabletop strategy games being great for VR, but this is the first time I've actually seen it work.
    It works well on the Gear VR. It would be amazing with positional tracking!
    Art3mis
    Didn't win, alas, but I'm still proud to have made it as far as I did!

If you want to try Tactera with positional tracking, I posted a DK2 version on the reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... k2_builds/
    (I'll get it on Share soon, I promise!)
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 279
    Art3mis
    Hey,

I just tried your game today finally. I kept meaning to try your game first and I ended up trying others for some reason, don't know why. I loved it, you did such a good job!

Also, I haven't gotten back into playing Darknet yet, but it's one of my favorite Gear VR games. When I played Darknet first I thought: "well, this is pretty cool, it's pretty hard though." After playing for 30 minutes, I was hooked! I didn't want to leave that world, just wanted to be in there forever. I bought Darknet purely because of the awesome DK2 flavor demo and it did not disappoint.

With Tactera, It was defintely as polished as I thought it would be, you did not disappoint. Very ambitious project, hope to see more additions in the future. Cheers!
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR