Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[Final+APK+Playthrough] The Captain took your Ducky

NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
edited May 2015 in VR Jam 2015
Since the comments on the challenge entries are disabled and I'd love to get some more feedback to our game, I am now posting the game here in addition to our challengepost page.

The Captain took your Ducky is a puzzle game in a hexagonal water world. I made this together with Floran Rappel. It was our first VR and also our first 3D game, so it was pretty tough for us, especially as we really wanted to make everything by ourselves. Also as it now turned out, many of the performance issues we were fighting might be caused by Android Lollipop. But in the end, we made it in time (though we had to skip many of our ideas) and our version runs fluent on Lollipop and should run even better on KitKat I guess (would love to get some feedback on this).

We couldn't make some great screenshots in time, so I added some better quality screenshots on a separate page.

Screenshots:
http://artwaretists.com/ducky/screenshots

Trailer:



Download:
https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... Signed.apk

Challenge Post Page:
http://vrjam.challengepost.com/submissi ... your-ducky

We also recorded our development progress during the jam, in case you're interested:
Week 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRh1dAJGFA
Week 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUZn-ESmMI
Week 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nEIdYylIvs
Week 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COWxSrO84Zo

Post Mortem: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/NilsKuebler/ ... Mortem.php

Full Play Through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk2ChAAHM30

Let's Play by Seizer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIQQemNJWZ4

Feedback of any kind welcome, especially some feedback on how well it runs on KitKat.

Comments

  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    Week 4 development progress now online:
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    So many great Jam entries, and this is one of them. Very polished, and I really enjoyed the gameplay although it was over sooner than I would have liked. I thoroughly enjoyed the transition between each stage! And as a developer, it's really interesting to think about the challenges you probably faced in putting this game together.

    I ended up getting stuck on one of the more later levels where there's a stack of three wheels that each can be targeted and turned, but the top two wheels rotated the same stuff, which means I think one of the wheels wasn't working as intended, so was unable to complete that level. Not 100% sure on this though.

    Anyway, thanks, and great job!
  • dpiddpid Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Solid game mechanic that I really enjoyed. I also like the way you went about giving instructions in a menu free/ non-text way. One thing that bugged me a lot was the level transitions. I appreciate the technical achievement, but felt it detracted from the VR experience because the locomotion induces unnecessary motion sickness. I think a much better VR experience would be fade to black, fade back in, and then sprout up the new level. On a visual note, the levels that have the saturated blue backgrounds don't visually work as well as others because it makes it hard to see the water flow. Overall, a very fun game that I felt compelled to keep playing.
    Snow Fight VR Jam 2015 submission
  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    drash wrote:
    So many great Jam entries, and this is one of them. Very polished, and I really enjoyed the gameplay although it was over sooner than I would have liked. I thoroughly enjoyed the transition between each stage! And as a developer, it's really interesting to think about the challenges you probably faced in putting this game together.
    Thank you so much. The technical challenges were indeed higher than I expected (I tend to underestimate those things). However the highest challenge for me was to learn blender, the 3D modelling tool we used and that animation stuff we failed hard on (we originally planned to have the captain visible in the game, but we failed on getting him animated right in that short amount of time - this were so many lost hours)
    drash wrote:
    I ended up getting stuck on one of the more later levels where there's a stack of three wheels that each can be targeted and turned, but the top two wheels rotated the same stuff, which means I think one of the wheels wasn't working as intended, so was unable to complete that level. Not 100% sure on this though.
    Oh my god! I really didn't notice that, you're right, one of the wheels is totally useless! But it is possible to finish the level.
    drash wrote:
    Anyway, thanks, and great job!
    thank you for that extensive feedback!
  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    dpid wrote:
    Solid game mechanic that I really enjoyed. I also like the way you went about giving instructions in a menu free/ non-text way.
    Thanks! I really try to make the games as self-explanatory as possible.
    dpid wrote:
    One thing that bugged me a lot was the level transitions. I appreciate the technical achievement, but felt it detracted from the VR experience because the locomotion induces unnecessary motion sickness. I think a much better VR experience would be fade to black, fade back in, and then sprout up the new level.
    Sorry. That's what I also thought when I built that in, but then I started playtesting and asked them about that every single playtester told me that this doesn't make them sick. Maybe I should have asked some of the more experienced VR users in this forum. I thought another possibility would be to just remove the camera movement, but keeping the rest of transitions in (skybox, moving platforms and so on), however that would'nt fit the story as well (which is not in the demo righ tnow).
    dpid wrote:
    On a visual note, the levels that have the saturated blue backgrounds don't visually work as well as others because it makes it hard to see the water flow.
    Thanks I think we'll change the colors a bit then.
    dpid wrote:
    Overall, a very fun game that I felt compelled to keep playing.
    Thank you very much for that great feedback
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    As others have said, its a really fun puzzle game to play. I completed the demo, i cant say that about many of the games ive played so far so congrats on that!
    I agree that the inbetween levels i like when all the pieces fall down and slot together, but dont enjoy the motion of moving forwards towards the next level!
    Again i agree on one of levels thats either high up in the clouds or whatnot, its all a bit misty looking and makes it harder to concentrate on the puzzle itself. Other than that good stuff!
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    Jaycee900 wrote:
    As others have said, its a really fun puzzle game to play. I completed the demo, i cant say that about many of the games ive played so far so congrats on that!
    I agree that the inbetween levels i like when all the pieces fall down and slot together, but dont enjoy the motion of moving forwards towards the next level!
    Again i agree on one of levels thats either high up in the clouds or whatnot, its all a bit misty looking and makes it harder to concentrate on the puzzle itself. Other than that good stuff!

    Thank you very much for your feedback. Do you mean one of this levels? http://artwaretists.com/img/ducky/07.png or http://artwaretists.com/img/ducky/08.png ?
  • Jaycee900Jaycee900 Posts: 223
    Yeah 08 pic looks like it, of course its still perfectly playable, but i feel the background should change, night, daytime etc but the puzzle pieces should stay visable and bright enough to see all aspects of the puzzle, cogs, wheels etc
    Mini Gear VR Reviews Blog --> http://gearvrreviews.blogspot.co.uk
  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    Jaycee900 wrote:
    Yeah 08 pic looks like it, of course its still perfectly playable, but i feel the background should change, night, daytime etc but the puzzle pieces should stay visable and bright enough to see all aspects of the puzzle, cogs, wheels etc
    Alright thanks again
  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    I created a full playthrough in case you get stuck somewhere:
  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    by Seizer made a Let's Play, very fun to watch!

  • KominAaaKominAaa Posts: 135
    Clever game, I wish it made it to the finals :)
    Very solid work, hope to see it soon again!
    Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game
    Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR!
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • NilspferdNilspferd Posts: 51
    Thanks!
    I too think the game itself is pretty polished, but we just couln't hold up in the marketing part.
Sign In or Register to comment.