Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[Final APK] Snow Fight - chuck snowballs, 360° levels

dpiddpid Posts: 44
Brain Burst
edited May 2015 in VR Jam 2015
All week I've been pouring through the VR Jam apps and have been amazed at what I've been seeing. Some devs have asked for feedback and I do my best to provide that when possible. This has become a great learning tool as it really gets me thinking about what works and doesn't work across many apps. So, if you'd like to join in on the fun, I invite you to checkout my own game and leave any feedback you may have.

Snow Fight ChallengePost
Snow Fight APK

The game is single player with touchpad. Swivel chair recommended. Thank you and have fun.
Snow Fight VR Jam 2015 submission

Comments

• HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    The performance is rock solid and plays great. Wish there was online multiplayer and upgradable snow weapons and maybe a boss fight aswell :)
  • dpiddpid Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    HomerS66 wrote:
    The performance is rock solid and plays great. Wish there was online multiplayer and upgradable snow weapons and maybe a boss fight aswell :)

HomerS66, thank you for taking the time to check the game out.

I'm glad to hear that the performance was great for you. I didn't get access to a GearVR until about midway through the challenge and had to make many changes to get it right. Originally, the characters had randomly generated clothes/faces using split geometry and multiple materials. However, this didn't perform optimally. So geometry was joined and all the characters share a single material atlas now. This greatly reduced draw calls. Then, the environment lighting is all baked and sharing a single material atlas. So, just two materials for the whole game. Total draw calls 20-25.

Multiplayer would be cool down the road. I definitely want to add some larger boss characters like a yeti monster. The code is in there to support it, I just need to make the 3D models/animation for it. Also, drive by sleds is something I'd like to add.
  • dignifiedwebdignifiedweb Posts: 279
    Art3mis
    I absolutely love this game! I beat the whole thing and enjoyed every second of it! I was actually shaking at the fact that it was in fact snowing again here in Winnipeg Canada. Even though your game reminded me of unfortunate weather outside, it brought a smile right back to my face. Great job! I love the character animation, the AI is super cool, everything was just awesome!

Edit: P.S. I love your custom music too. It was very fitting.
    Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR
  • EugTankEugTank Posts: 42
    Very nice and cute project. Fun and childhood experience :) Wanna more!
    Brain Burst
    Wow. Thank you, dignifiedweb. I'm really happy you enjoyed the game. That's why we all make them. On this jam game I really wanted to get a feeling for the entire pipeline and decided to do my own 3D animation and music. So, that you liked those particular aspects puts a smile on my face.
    Brain Burst
    Thank you, Eugtank. I definitely want to find time to expand on the idea. More characters, bosses, levels, etc.
    Brain Burst
    Just wanted to thank everyone that supported the development of this game. Because of the jam, I ended up meeting a lot of cool people online and in real life. That alone made it a worthy endeavor. Shout out to my fellow Portland devs which includes the team that made the finalist app, Crossover.

I'll see everyone at the next jam and hopefully everyone gets to see Snow Fight in the Oculus store.