Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

In-App purchase

littlebigbenlittlebigben Posts: 11
NerveGear
edited March 2016 in Oculus Go Development
Hello,

I browsed games and applications on the Gear VR store and didn't find application with in-app purchase.
I also browsed documentation (technical and submission).

Did I miss something, or is there no way to put in-app purchase on Gear VR applications?

Or maybe should I use classical android in-app system? But I don't think that the Gear let Android overlay in VR mode.

Thanks for your answers

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    This feature is not currently available, but it is something we're looking into. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • littlebigbenlittlebigben Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the answer. Is there a public roadmap about comming features for Gear?

Thanks,
    Benjamin
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    No, there is not a public roadmap. Sorry.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Greetings!

Also Interested in IAP, is there an update on this front?

Thank you!
  • SvenVikingSvenViking Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    They're mentioned in this talk if that's of any use.
    Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux)
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
  • cleoagcleoag Posts: 16
    Brain Burst
    Any updated? or ETA? Or something? )
  • VR in app purchases and in app ads are the next nut to crack for Andriod and IOS. It's coming and will be very interesting to see how it unfolds...
  • BaptisteGrBaptisteGr Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Hi! I'd love to know if there is any update concerning In-App Purchases. Thanks.
  • mdufformduffor Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    BaptisteGr wrote:
    Hi! I'd love to know if there is any update concerning In-App Purchases. Thanks.

I talked to one of the Oculus Store team members last week at GDC, and it sounds like they are aware of the need and working on it, but don't have a release date yet. They have been rather all-hands-on-deck for the Rift launch, so once that settles down they can focus more resources on the Oculus Store. Every issue I brought up (user reviews, deep linking, in app purchases) seemed like something they were painfully aware of, wanted to fix, and were trying to get the resources to address.

I wasn't able to get any more specific information than that. My fear is that the performance granted to VR apps to make them run quickly also kinda kills the entire android app stack, which will make going in and out of other apps to handle store purchase confirmation (and deep linking, or linking from one app to another), a difficult challenge to say the least. I wish Oculus could provide at least a rough roadmap, since these features are necessary for any sort of monetized free-to-play ecosystem.
  • mdufformduffor Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    An article about the Oculus Store today on Venture Beat:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/21/oculu ... app-store/
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,503 Oculus Start Member
    I wish it was documented well (stuff about Live, Alpha, Beta, Release, generating codes, etc.).
  • leftlerleftler Posts: 103
    Brain Burst
    From what I can tell from the article it seams that it is just talking about the desktop store. I am not sure if the Gear VR store will get the multiple release channels feature.
  • Hi there,

Are IAP's  now up and running? I was following through the documentation over at:

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/platform/latest/concepts/dg-iap/

And am getting stuck at step one. Under the platform tab there does not seem to be any reference of IAP's. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

A.
  • johnbart_oculusjohnbart_oculus Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi Andrew,

IAPs should be up and running for everyone on GearVR and Rift.  Can you take another peek at the platform tab to see if IAPs are visible for you now?

-j
  • As if by magic...! Thanks JB.
    Brain Burst
    This is awesome! Is there any guide to integrate in-app purchases through Unity? Just asked the question here: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/35124/dev-in-app-purchases-oculus-store#latest - if you want to use a separate thread.

Thanks!
  • delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Ah, finally! Are there any GearVR apps already released that have added IAP to get a sense of integration best practices?
  • CubicleNinjasCubicleNinjas Posts: 202
    Art3mis
    Hi Delphinus81 - The only use case we've seen is the fishing title 'Bait'. I believe it is the first and only at the moment.
  • trevorchicotrevorchico Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Hmm I've been playing "Bait" for 30 minutes(getting nausea) and can't find any in-app purchases...
  • delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    @trevorchico

You have to get to the second in-game store. You can purchase special bait there for 99 cents. I think I played for about an hour, hour and a half (?) over several days before it was unlocked.

They did two things that I think are good practices. 1) They used a unique color for the buy button for the IAP (I think it was blue) compared to other purchases made with in-game currency (which I think had a yellow/orange color). 2) They put some text indicating that the user will be taken to Oculus Home to complete the purchase (which is reaaaallly annoying, hope that goes away in the future - imagine getting bumped into the App Store / Google Play every time you bought something in a mobile game, talk about breaking presence...).

I've designed my IAP UI to also do those things.
  • trevorchicotrevorchico Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    @delphinius81

There is a second hick bait shop?! Haha, I think the design of the game is superb.

That's interesting about the IAPs... What does your UI look like? Would love to see what you're working on.

[email protected]
  • KristenBierwithKristenBierwith Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi - quick question. If we are going to publish our app soon without any IAP's but want to add them in a few months down the line, is that allowed?  Or is it required that if we have IAP's we have them from the start? Thanks!
    Brain Burst
    I'm pretty sure you can publish your app without IAP and add then in the future.
  • pekayattpekayatt Posts: 133 Oculus Start Member
    Reading here looks like the IAP is already working, but I have been trying to find any references of how to implement it on Unreal and I found nothing.
    It is working only for Unity?
  • pekayattpekayatt Posts: 133 Oculus Start Member
    If anyone want to use IAP on Unreal you can download our plugin
    https://github.com/VRMonkey/UE4-OculusIAP