Does installed oculus runtime affect unity build? — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Does installed oculus runtime affect unity build?

SuppleTeetSuppleTeet Posts: 25
Brain Burst
I'm working on a windows 10 laptop with nvidia optimus so the 0.7 runtime isn't supported and I need to build that's 0.7 compatible. Since I can't test it my question is...

Does the installed oculus runtime affect the compatibility of the builds I create from unity? Or is it only the unity version and Oculus utilities?

Can I build it in(Unity 5.2.1p2) while runtime 0.6.0.1 is installed? Or do I need to install 0.7 just to create the build and then reinstall 0.6.0.1 to continue working? I've been curious about this for awhile and can't seem to find any info about it after a few minutes looking.

Thanks!

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I don't believe the runtime version will affect the build. As long as the SDK is the correct version, I assume it will work.

However, newer versions of Unity are using the 0.7 plug-in, which means you won't be able to test or preview the game on your computer without the 0.7 runtime installed.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • SuppleTeetSuppleTeet Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Oh great to know, thank you!
    However, newer versions of Unity are using the 0.7 plug-in, which means you won't be able to test or preview the game on your computer without the 0.7 runtime installed.
    Right well I've been using the SteamVR plugin instead which works incredibly well inside of Unity 5.1.3p1 with my DK2! I've never been able to get Unity Editor functionality on a dual gpu laptop before using this. On the same setup with Oculus stuff I get crashes when I hit play or build. In past unity and runtime versions it ran but with performance issues, rendering problems, or crashes... With SteamVR and 0.6.0.1 I get solid 75fps and it doesn't seem to crash ever... The only downsides are there's still ghosting/color smearing in 0.6 runtime, and it seems the end user for dk2 needs both Oculus and SteamVR runtimes installed.

UPDATE: I just upgraded to Unity 5.2.1p2 (with runtime 0.6.0.1). SteamVR still works great.