Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Unity 5.3 VR examples and Oculus Utils ?

motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,471 Oculus Start Member
edited December 2015 in Unity Development
Unity 5.3 comes with new VR examples and scripts: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topi ... al-reality

Are those going to interfere with Oculus Utils ?

Comments

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,471 Oculus Start Member
    So, can Oculus confirm that there is no issues using Unity VR samples with Oculus Utils ? Thanks.
  • You're probably looking for a deeper answer than this, but:
    I went ahead and imported the OVR Utilities into the VR samples and they didn't seem to kill each other.
    voidKevin wrote:
    You're probably looking for a deeper answer than this, but:
    I went ahead and imported the OVR Utilities into the VR samples and they didn't seem to kill each other.

Right. But if you read the docs on VR Unity posted with 5.3 release, you'll see they use native, not Oculus's, player controller and camera rig and input.
  • I did read the docs but that seems irrelevant... were you trying to pinpoint the line "Left and right eye cameras are not created by Unity." from the new VR tutorials page? Although I think that means the internal unity vr plugin is probably using some stuff created by or with the help of OVR. (anyone peeking in those new tutorials are located here http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality they're not video tutorials, but nice to skim)

So yeah, Unity has its own internal VR plugin now if you didn't know, it doesn't require any OVR SDK after version 5.1 I believe it was. Therefore Unity natively doesn't use anything that you have to download from the Oculus site here and put into your project anymore because it's all already inside Unity. That being said, the Oculus-Unity Integration Utilities are specifically made to help Unity developers get up and started easily with VR inside of Unity and they do have some nice things in there, but they are in no way required (unless you're making something for GearVR because I don't think you can get access to the Universal Menu without the Utitlies, someone please prove me wrong).

The new VR Samples are nice though, if you're holding off on checking them out you should just start a new project and import them (as one should always do when getting anything from the Asset Store). There isn't much to the VR Samples right now, but there's a few small gems.
  • vrdavebvrdaveb Posts: 1,596 Oculus Staff
    The scripts and prefabs in Unity's new VR Samples Scenes are to some extent an alternative to the Oculus Utilities. Our long-term goal is to migrate functionality from our Utilities into Unity and its Standard Assets. As of 5.3, there is still some functionality you can only access via the utilities, such as latency data, overlays, and the tracker pose and frustum. For the most part, it should be safe to use scripts from the Utilities and scripts from the VR Samples in the same project, but we are still testing this.
  • vrdaveb wrote:
    As of 5.3, there is still some functionality you can only access via the utilities, such as latency data, overlays, and the tracker pose and frustum.

Darn, I'm assuming "overlays" means you still must have the Utilities to access the Universal Menu
    @voidKevin: I already deployed my test project to Gear VR with Unity 5.2.2 using Utils. I assume Oculus would have a better and more accurate setup when it comes to player controller, etc. Plus, gamepad controls are spot on in Utils (for Gear VR at least).

Unity now brings all other stuff I need, such as navigation (various types) and interaction with scene.

So I guess I am gonna have to see how to marry Utils (for player controller and gamepad support and whatever else that makes magic happen under the hood) with Unity's VR scripts (for everything else).
  • vrdavebvrdaveb Posts: 1,596 Oculus Staff
    Overlays and the Universal Menu are two different things, but neither is built into Unity itself yet. Over time, we hope to get all of these features into Unity. The Utilities are there to give you earlier access to the features.

For OVROverlay, please see https://developer.oculus.com/doc/0.1.3. ... erlay.html. The idea is to render one textured quad (such as a video or text) with extra sharpening. It can optionally bypass TimeWarp and follow your head exactly.

The Unversal Menu is an external activity that appears when you press the back button (and at other times). There are some calls we make in the Utilities to manage the UM that Unity hasn't merged yet. Proper UM interaction is a requirement for submitting apps to the Oculus store, so all store apps need to use the Utilities for the moment.